Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Sideview Mirror Cover(or arm?) detach from car door

I am not sure exactly how to describe it, but as you can see on the pictures, the part where it connects the car door and the mirror is detached. However, it is not loose. In fact, everything works fine such as the mirror folding, and I have even been to machine car wash a couple times after this happen and it still looks the same.

So I went to a BMW service department to get an estimate how it can be fixed. The service person at the first dealer, just glancing at the pictures for a few second and ask me to order a $800 replacement at the part store. I was like sure I will order that and walk out the door.

So I went to another BMW dealer at a different city. This time the service person says it might be just a easy fix and try to push it in – however can’t move it at all (again it is not loose, very firm actually). It was a Saturday so the body shop was not open and he said come back another day to have a estimate at the body shop instead. He then added that it might be a easy fix for the body shop, HOWEVER, there's possibilty that I might need to replace the entire door. I was like what

Anyway, I would like to get some opinions how it can be fixed and whether I can just go to a small body shop since I am just a 20-year-old girl who get easily ripped off by any car dealer…If most people think it is necessary to replace the entire cover or the door, then I won’t even bother to visit the body shop and spend that much especially since it is not falling off or anything like that. Just curious though, how much will it cost to replace the passenger front door with the mirror attached??

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	386149   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	386150  
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
That mirror trim is one piece, it's not an overlay or something.

Looks like the door sheet metal has been pulled out and that will require a replacement of the door if you can't bend the sheet metal back into place.

To remove the mirror, you have to remove the door panel, then the door sail. Then you'll have access to 3 torx screws holding the mirror in place. The metal there is where I suspect it has deformed.

It must have been hit pretty hard! A hammer is all you need to get it back into shape. Good luck

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM

And the torx drivers to take the door panel/mirror off

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Thank you! I don't know how it happened actually. parked my car with mirror folded and apparently someone hit and runT T
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM

It probably got hooked on some woman's purse and see didn't realized and kept walking lol