Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Question Clear codes after Water Pump/Thermo.?

Hi all,

I can't seem to find this little bit of info anywhere despite searching most E90 threads. Maybe I missed it, who knows, but I'm getting ready to do the water pump and thermo on Sunday after I pick up parts from Bavauto (shameless plug but a GREAT PRICE! ) tomorrow, and can't figure out if I need to clear the fault code for pump after I am done and the pump is bled/vented? Asked my Indy but he seemed to go into prick mode when I asked (probably because I'm doing work myself and not giving him the business ).

Anyway, anyone know procedure? Can I drive car with code in back end, or will it trigger sh*t?

Thanks, appreciate it.

Update: Asked my dealer, looks like the code in back won't trigger the CEL, so no need to clear it really. For anyone that's curious.

Last edited by BiHoTTo115; 07-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
You should be ok after you fix it. The code may clear itself as well. Worst case scenario is dealer to reset it. None of the DIYs I have read mention anything about resetting the code either. Most of the repairs I have done which have triggered codes, usually reset or go off when problem is no longer present. Not sure with the BMW as it seems to have a flight data recorder built in.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Coding setup or Bavtool can clear it.

Coding setup or Bavtool can clear it.
But it should go away when fixed.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Anyway, anyone know procedure? Can I drive car with code in back end, or will it trigger sh*t?

Update: Asked my dealer, looks like the code in back won't trigger the CEL, so no need to clear it really. For anyone that's curious.

Well, if you don't clear it, how you gonna know if stored code is a new issue or no after your job's complete?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i e92
I also am doing a pump and t-stat job on my e92. I already have all the parts and can perform the job today. The only thing that is holding me up is not knowing if im supposed to clear the codes before I do the swap. This is the ONLY thread covering this issue. Please help!

Need to know if im supposed to do it before or after and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCase View Post
I also am doing a pump and t-stat job on my e92. I already have all the parts and can perform the job today. The only thing that is holding me up is not knowing if im supposed to clear the codes before I do the swap. This is the ONLY thread covering this issue. Please help!

Need to know if im supposed to do it before or after and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks for your help guys!
I did my pump and tstat earlier this year on a 530i with N52 engine. I didn't have to reset anything after the install. Once the install is complete, and the vehicle is started if everything checks out the fault will be gone. No need to worry about it on the back end.

Now I did use INPA to clear the fault memory, but that's not necessary because shadow faults are harmless if you fixed the issue that causes them, like the map thermostat fault that kept getting logged everytime i started the car until I finally changed it.

Here is the thread of my pump replacement:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...273&highlight=
Old 07-14-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
I did my pump and tstat earlier this year on a 530i with N52 engine. I didn't have to reset anything after the install. Once the install is complete, and the vehicle is started if everything checks out the fault will be gone. No need to worry about it on the back end.

Now I did use INPA to clear the fault memory, but that's not necessary because shadow faults are harmless if you fixed the issue that causes them, like the map thermostat fault that kept getting logged everytime i started the car until I finally changed it.

Here is the thread of my pump replacement:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...273&highlight=
Thanks for the help man! I really wanted to get the job done over the weekend so this helped speed up the process.

I ran into another issue that put a hold on completion though. Made it all the way to the last step and started to prepare my 50/50 mixture when I noticed that BMW's coolant is blue. When I drained all of the coolant, it was a dark orange color. I didnt want to refill the system with the BMW coolant in case this may cause a problem. This is the first time having to do this since I bought my car. Im guessing the last owner used that Zerex G-05 stuff? But not entirely sure. Am I going to have to flush the system or is it ok top it off? I'd call the dealer and ask but they're closed Sundays. A few threads out there on this but none giving me any info on the result of mixing Zerex G-05 with BMW coolant whether good or bad. Any input is GREATLY APPRECIATED man!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Made it all the way to the last step and started to prepare my 50/50 mixture when I noticed that BMW's coolant is blue. When I drained all of the coolant, it was a dark orange color. I didnt want to refill the system with the BMW coolant in case this may cause a problem. This is the first time having to do this since I bought my car. Im guessing the last owner used that Zerex G-05 stuff? But not entirely sure. Am I going to have to flush the system or is it ok top it off? I'd call the dealer and ask but they're closed Sundays. A few threads out there on this but none giving me any info on the result of mixing Zerex G-05 with BMW coolant whether good or bad. Any input is GREATLY APPRECIATED man!

OK, you mean what was in the car was orange; your new coolant blue. Yes?

That dark orange.....without cloudiness and/or particulates?

Hey it's just a dye. Google to verify your BMW coolant is for your car, or read the label, fill'r up if you gotta get back on the road. Even wrong, day or two won't be an issue.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
OK, you mean what was in the car was orange; your new coolant blue. Yes?

That dark orange.....without cloudiness and/or particulates?

Hey it's just a dye. Google to verify your BMW coolant is for your car, or read the label, fill'r up if you gotta get back on the road. Even wrong, day or two won't be an issue.
Yes, the coolant that I drained out of the car was a dark orange. It was clear but it did have a few black particles floating in it. Not much. The coolant from the hoses kinda got everywhere so I figured those particles were just dirt from underneath the car that washed into the catch pan. But I could be wrong. If they ARE in fact from the system, what is this a sign of?

Im just gonna play it safe and do a flush. Any good threads on this?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, the coolant that I drained out of the car was a dark orange. It was clear but it did have a few black particles floating in it. Not much. The coolant from the hoses kinda got everywhere so I figured those particles were just dirt from underneath the car that washed into the catch pan. But I could be wrong. If they ARE in fact from the system, what is this a sign of?

Im just gonna play it safe and do a flush. Any good threads on this?

A few specks? Nuthin' really.

Oodles o'threads & Youtubes avail....start here:

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Haven't been able to get to completing this on my car since Bavauto didn't have a Thermostat in stock (even though they said they did...) when I went to pick it up. It's coming in mail (free shipping of course) this week, so I'll tackle this job this weekend. Like I said, I called around and the consensus seemed to be that there is no reason to reset anything if everything was properly done (including bleed procedure at end).

I have 2 extra jugs of Coolant now so I'll probably put a good bit of that in with the 50/50 mixture (got some 88c distilled water as well in preparation) and leftover coolant I have (no point in dumping it all, I did a flush a month or so ago anyway).