Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Honda CR-V
Need some advice ...

I've been looking for a BMW now for about three months (every few weeks or so ... I'm not really in a rush).

Anyway, have test-driven a 325i (PPI was not good so I walked), a 2011 328i (fine, but didn't like price) and 2013 320i and 2013 328i (dealer was pushing lease, I balked).

Today, found a 328i with 23,200 miles on it with asking price of $23,900 (26,300 out door with tax, license, etc.). It was at a Honda dealer ... to be sold As Is.

A few questions ...

1. The Carfax had one owner who leased from BMW. Honda dealership bought it on auction, which I found odd. I asked why Honda dealer would buy a BMW at auction, they said it was to get a different mix of people onto lot so if that deal fell through, or they fell short on credit, they might buy a Honda. Plausible, but I wondered if BMW wouldn't take back the lease because they couldn't CPO it.

2. The back bumper looked fine structurally, but had some sketchy paint work, like maybe it had been hit and patched. Not sure. Not visible 10 feet away ...

3. The seat adjustment was manual, which I had never seen.

4. It didn't have info on it with regards to premium package, sport package or value package. Had iPod and MP3 connector, blue tooth, etc. They have a list of what's on it/in it, but I can't discern from that list to tell what it is.

5. Regular tires ... Not runflats, which I had never seen.

6. The MP3 worked, but the USB, while it charged my iPhone, did not play music. That might be an iPhone vs. iPod issue.

In the end, the dude game me the hard sell. He said if I agreed to pull the trigger, he'd take to his boss an offer of $22,000 out the door. I figured we would settle on $23,000.

I then said any offer would be contingent on the results of a PPI. He said if I agreed that to have them fix what was on the PPI, he was fine with that. I told him if it were taken to a BMW shop, yes. But if there was something major, I would no sooner have a BMW fixed at Honda than he would a Honda fixed by Nissan.

I walked away for a few minutes, and came back and balked at having him take the offer to his money guy. I like the car, but there were some oddities. I think it's a good price, but I feel a little naked without a CPO and ... if I'm correct ... not manufacturer powertrain warranty, correct?

I told him I'd come back next week and have a PPI done, at which point we could discuss an offer ... I think I probably lost some negotiating power there.

Should I just go CPO route for a few thousand more? Any thoughts on all of this?
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: M5
In my opinion, go to a BMW dealer and buy a CPO 3 series of your choice. Almost all dealers have CPO 3's out the wazoo. BMW's are all electronic and can be very expensive to fix. Personally I would not take the chance unless I knew the car history beforehand. Carfax is good tool, but not everything gets reported. I have found BMW delears ( I have dealt with 3) on CPO cars to be very upfront and honest. They even 'Good willed' a battery in a 530 I had 4 months after the CPO expired. I would only go CPO Good luck!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by blc2000 View Post
Today, found a 328i with 23,200 miles on it with asking price of $23,900 (26,300 out door with tax, license, etc.). It was at a Honda dealer ... to be sold As Is.

1. The Carfax had one owner who leased from BMW. Honda dealership bought it on auction, which I found odd. I asked why Honda dealer would buy a BMW at auction, they said it was to get a different mix of people onto lot so if that deal fell through, or they fell short on credit, they might buy a Honda. Plausible, but I wondered if BMW wouldn't take back the lease because they couldn't CPO it.

2. The back bumper looked fine structurally, but had some sketchy paint work, like maybe it had been hit and patched. Not sure. Not visible 10 feet away ...

3. The seat adjustment was manual, which I had never seen.

4. It didn't have info on it with regards to premium package, sport package or value package. Had iPod and MP3 connector, blue tooth, etc. They have a list of what's on it/in it, but I can't discern from that list to tell what it is.

5. Regular tires ... Not runflats, which I had never seen.

Should I just go CPO route for a few thousand more? Any thoughts on all of this?
You don't say what year. BMWs have transferrable warranty 4 yr/50K miles.

1) Not unusual at all. Many dealers have used-car departments to keep traffic up.

2) Might be ok. Make sure the PPI checks for damage up underneath.

3) This indicates no Premium package. Probably wasn't leather seats - leatherette. Did the seats have a thigh extension? If so sports package.

5) Lack of RFT is one reason not to CPO (would have cost a BMW dealer $1000)
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Honda CR-V
The vehicle was a 2010 ...

It said leather, and seemed like leather ... But seemed soft. I had a hunch it was maybe sport package because the driver seat seemed more bucketed than I recall ... Felt nice to sit in. ...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blc2000 View Post
It said leather, and seemed like leather ... But seemed soft. I had a hunch it was maybe sport package because the driver seat seemed more bucketed than I recall ... Felt nice to sit in. ...
The car is under factory warranty and maintenance til 2014 / 48 months from the in service date and through 50,000 miles.

This gives you a lot of time to work with and lessens (not eliminates) the need for a really thorough PPI. Still need a full body cavity search for body damage / paint. I think the Honda shops are pretty quick to spray a bumper or body panel to "refresh" a used car.

The key fob can be read by the BMW dealer you plan to use for service and this should be done to see what warranty or other mechanical work has been performed on the car in the BMW network.

Google or someone will post here soon how to run the VIN to see the options included with that car.

Negotiating point with the seller, the 2010 sound system was apparently cheapened (fixed later in 2011) so listen to the sounds and be sure you will be happy with what you hear.

I wouldn't mind owning a 328i without CPO .... it's one of the most solid BMWs made lately.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)