Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Anyone Using Waze in Their 3 Series?

Coming back from the beach today I ran the Waze ap on my iphone alongside our 3 Series NAV.

It was nothing short of amazing and entertaining to boot. Real time traffic, police presence, traffic speeds and standstills.

Is this the future of NAV for BMW?

Will this obsolete hard drive / disc loaded maps?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Coming back from the beach today I ran the Waze ap on my iphone alongside our 3 Series NAV.

It was nothing short of amazing and entertaining to boot. Real time traffic, police presence, traffic speeds and standstills.

I use it when I am in unfamiliar area.
Google bought them out, I am wondering what good is going to come out of it
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I'm surprised we haven't heard more about Waze.

Maybe Google will promote it more effectively although I would hate the ad model disrupting the driving experience.

It was dead on accurate for traffic conditions yesterday in remote two lane road areas not covered by metro traffic reporting.

The game of outing speed traps and then confirming or clearing was quite entertaining on an otherwise boring long drive home from the beach.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer

I keep waiting for the infotainment/nav system to basically port the screen and functionality of whatever smartphone you use. As it is, the iDrive system needs the cellular data connection to run BMW apps and connect to pandora.

Pioneer and Kenwood already have systems that will do this. It's crazy that someone hasn't integrated it into a production car instead of an aftermarket option.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Started using it today. Very cool.

With the BT connection, I was getting real time reports of road side activity over the speakers. Liked it a lot.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 6-speed
Ive been using it for some time now and really like it. It did a great job getting me in and out of Baltimore over the weekend for the ALMS/Indy races knowing most of the road closures. The only down side is that if you get a call as you get near your destination it gets annoying to negotiate navigation and use speakerphone.

I do fear, now that with Google involved in the developments, it is going to get even more advertisement heavy.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't

Waze is a big reason I didn't bother with Nav in my new E93 ...I like knowing where the cops are !

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

With history as our guide, the future of BMW Nav is to be so far behind the curve that $150 Costco units blow it away. Costco's one, and only, disadvantage is that they're not built in.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Waze is great...i just dont like the turn by turn directions interrupting my music so i just keep it on the important alert mode. no BMW nav in my car so i cant compare but ive used it in the past in other BMWs.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I'm much better now, Dave

Mein Auto: 2008 335i e92
I have an 08 335i and chose to get it withOUT nav because I knew I'd use the GPS mapping a lot (I was pretty new to the city). And Garmin / TomTom / BMW provided GPS maps are, at the best, 2-3 years old.
I greatly prefer to use Google Maps and it's Google Nav, because it's maps are, at WORST, 2-3 weeks (not months or years) old. So I started using goggle nav on my smartphone about 3 years ago. I had to get a window mount and run a power line, but that was actually pretty easy.

About 6 months ago, I heard about Waze, and switched over to it. It uses maps that are also near-realtime updated, and the traffic / police traps / hazards that are actual-real time are so much better than the Google map's traffic and I'm sure way better than the reported+collected+rebroadcast incidents for the separate GPS units.

I really like how my smartphone (Android) integrates it all. I schedule all my trips on my calendar, filling in the destination address (almost always from my desktop - so much easier and convenient). Then when it comes time to drive, I pull up the calendar, long-press on the address, select Waze, and zip, it opens and starts navigating me. Too Easy!!!

It's obvious that BMW and the other manufacturers want the drivers to get the large display car computer with the Nav maps, but I really object to having to shift my eyes that much. I affix my smartphone's window mount at the top left corner of my windshield, and it is right next to my left eyebrow, easy to see, and not at all a distraction to use. Waze even has some voice commands, tho I've not had too much luck with using them.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Wow...used waze for a 2,500 mile trip over the holidays.

This thing is AWESOME!!

I'm running 3.7.7 on an iPhone 4S. Getting near real timepolice reports, might just leave the V1 at home lol. Love the traffic integration. It hooks up to bluetooth instantly with audio muting the stereo automatically.

Highly recommended.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Consensus: BMW & others shoulda embraced & enabled full screen phone apps at high res 5 years back.

But, issues:
  • Lost profit
  • System opened
  • Hacks, most effective and worst being NSA
Arguably, if phone in fixed position within car such as iPhone cradle, inertial nav matches or exceeds OEM system. If known to be good quality and is not removed from cradle at any time.

Dude!
Opens the lid of Pandora's box. Do we risk it?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
I have the old DVD nav. I never bothered to pay the $200 for a new DVD. But paying $2500 for technology that was obsolete the day I bought the car taught me a lesson--never buy a factory BMW nav. You can't upgrade the unit. It's cheaper to buy a new garmin than get a new DVD or even pay for the new maps on the hard drive unit. Eventually the HD will fail anyway. Most of the time I just use iPhone voice turn by turn directions. I find the audio prompts give e all the information I need and if I make a mistake, it auto navs me to the right route. I need to get a mount, so I can see the screen in the few times I need it. I have heard about Waze and need to download it.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i e90
Google paid $1 billion for the company!

I'm in Dallas and always have 1000+ users in the area. I run the app with the phone mounted on the windshield. I rarely come up on a cop without waze already having him marked. Only cops I get on my detector are rolling and even then I'll see him on waze having been marked along his path. I've been using it for a couple of months and am now the A hole in the hov lane, just now without any worry bc I can see a dozen "wazers" out in front marking my way.

Cannonball run anyone?? Jk, very irresponsible.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: E90
I use Waze all the time. Very informative app.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Re: Anyone Using Waze in Their 3 Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
I keep waiting for the infotainment/nav system to basically port the screen and functionality of whatever smartphone you use. As it is, the iDrive system needs the cellular data connection to run BMW apps and connect to pandora.

Pioneer and Kenwood already have systems that will do this. It's crazy that someone hasn't integrated it into a production car instead of an aftermarket option.

The 2014 Honda Civic (non navi) has a feature somewhat like this. You basically download an app from Honda ($50) and hook up your phone and it will coordinate with the info on their built in display. Works for iPhone now and Android coming in a few months. Saves u from having to pay for full navi from what I understand.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint

Last edited by chrisk03; 01-01-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
Downloaded to a iphone 5 today. I'll report back. But is it hard, and unsafe, to enter data while moving? I don't text and drive, even more so with a manual. Nonetheless, I'd like to contribute to the police info -- I don't need anymore tickets thank you.
Google maps works great for traffic info, pretty much everywhere -- and I don't have to enter data for it to be accurate. The real time maps have saved much frustration and time over the last few years. Especially around DC!
'86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 180k
'00 Lincoln LS
'00 328i 120k, Superstorm Sandied
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ hmmm...entering a hazard is no more distracting than changing a channel on the stereo. YMMV though, of course.

The buttons are big, and it takes just a few steps to (say) enter a vehicle stopped on shoulder report.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i e90
You don't have to type anything to post a report. I wave my hand in front of it to get it to listen and then tell it to mark a cop or hazard in road, etc.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 AM

Yeah guys, easy to enter info. I used it today in brutal traffic and snow.
Where are the cops??!?

But what a battery sink!
'00 Lincoln LS
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is

I've been using waze with kenu airframe mount in addition to the V1 with laser interceptor. I now feel invincible or is it invisible

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 01-03-2014, 04:54 AM

Virginia says to detectors.
And again this morning the app is a huge battery drain.
'00 Lincoln LS
'08 535xi
'13 335xi M-sport, 6 MT
Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 AM
I'm much better now, Dave

Mein Auto: 2008 335i e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechristmas View Post
Virginia says to detectors.
And again this morning the app is a huge battery drain.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
The Waze app is a Nav program with a traffic-social-networking overlay, working on a smartphone. It's not addressed by VAs No radar detector laws.

And any device with a constant-on display, be it a smartphone, a GPS or whatever, will need a power supply more enduring than it's own battery. Most people I know have a dash or windscreen mount to hold their device within a clear sight-line, and run a power cable up from a cigarette lighter (or directly from a power cable or even the fuse-box).
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota

Does anyone have experience using Waze in Europe, esp. Germany?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I tinkered with WAZE on my MAXX HD but haven't quite gotten all the features and functions figured out ... that said, except for the BMW maps being sooooooo out of date (even with vers 2013 maps on '13 535xDrive) with numerous mapping errors (e.g. rural routes showing they continue when they really dead-end - - DUH!!!!) I prefer the on-screen (big screen) and on HUD ... to trying to peek at my smartphone (even a big-screen smart phone) ... or listen to voice prompts (I'm a visual kindaguy).

And all that said, it's a bit disappointing that lower priced Asian-branded nameplates seem to have more up to date technology ... or maybe it's that they promote them better than they actually are. And, of course, Garmin, where a major business line is NAV can devote more resources and $$$ to a single product line. Cars are a bit more complex. So, maybe it would make sense for companies like BMW to focus on engineering the car and outsource things like NAV to a company that plays (only) in that sandbox.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates