Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM
kaibong kaibong is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
About to buy a 2004 X3 3.0 in 2 hours.....HELP!!!!

I was about to purchase a 2004 X3 3.0 Titanium Silver from a dealer in SoCal. The car has the sport package, xenon headlights, navigation system, privacy glass, panarama moonroof, sport package and aluminum trim (weird coz i thought aluminum trim has to come with premium package).

The dealer is selling it for $400 over invoice. How does this sound?

I configured this car on Kelly Blue Book and the invoice price comes out to be $42100. The salesman told me the invoice price that they have for this car is $43200 but he doesn't have the breakdown of every option. He told me that there is a difference between the price in KBB and the dealership price because the following costs were incurred in the invoice price and was not shown on KBB:
1) Advertising costs
2) Training costs
3) PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)
And 4 other costs that he doesn't remember. He also told me this does not include the Destination Charge.

Is this true??
What should I do?

Any input is appreciated. TIA.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 AM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,469
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibong
I was about to purchase a 2004 X3 3.0 Titanium Silver from a dealer in SoCal. The car has the sport package, xenon headlights, navigation system, privacy glass, panarama moonroof, sport package and aluminum trim (weird coz i thought aluminum trim has to come with premium package).

The dealer is selling it for $400 over invoice. How does this sound?

I configured this car on Kelly Blue Book and the invoice price comes out to be $42100. The salesman told me the invoice price that they have for this car is $43200 but he doesn't have the breakdown of every option. He told me that there is a difference between the price in KBB and the dealership price because the following costs were incurred in the invoice price and was not shown on KBB:
1) Advertising costs
2) Training costs
3) PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)
And 4 other costs that he doesn't remember. He also told me this does not include the Destination Charge.

Is this true??
What should I do?

Any input is appreciated. TIA.

Call him back... ask him what the MSRP is on that exact vehicle.. Then check back here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
kaibong kaibong is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
MSRP is $46495

MSRP is $46495
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,469
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibong
MSRP is $46495
From what I can tell, you have to get the premium package to get the sport package on an X3 3.0.. That is why you get different numbers. To get your MSRP, I had to add premium pkg, heated seats, and premium sound. My guess is that Navigation equipped X3s have almost every other option as well..

I don't have an exact invoice number, but it should be within a $100 of $42,500. This would include training. MACO (advertising) varies according to regional/metro areas, but is usually $200-$400. If you are bargaining up from invoice, that is a legitimate charge. So, I get an invoice of $42,700-$42,900. Add $400 markup and maybe another $100 just in case I'm off a little, and that comes to $43,200-$43,400. If he is at $43,600 for final price, then you aren't very far apart.

Any other fees are probably just profit padders.. Are you leasing or financing?

regards,
kyfdx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2004, 09:05 AM
JPinTO JPinTO is offline
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,301
Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Skip the X3--- buy an X5.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2004, 10:04 AM
kaibong kaibong is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx
From what I can tell, you have to get the premium package to get the sport package on an X3 3.0.. That is why you get different numbers. To get your MSRP, I had to add premium pkg, heated seats, and premium sound. My guess is that Navigation equipped X3s have almost every other option as well..

I don't have an exact invoice number, but it should be within a $100 of $42,500. This would include training. MACO (advertising) varies according to regional/metro areas, but is usually $200-$400. If you are bargaining up from invoice, that is a legitimate charge. So, I get an invoice of $42,700-$42,900. Add $400 markup and maybe another $100 just in case I'm off a little, and that comes to $43,200-$43,400. If he is at $43,600 for final price, then you aren't very far apart.

Any other fees are probably just profit padders.. Are you leasing or financing?

regards,
kyfdx

Thanks for your advice.
I just called my salesman and here are the costs:
Aluminum Trim (he told me they somehow have it on the car without premium package): $455
MACO (Advertising): $330
PDI: $235
Mats: $100
Total: $1120

I am actually paying in cash
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2004, 11:31 AM
LeucX3 LeucX3 is offline
~~~~~~~~~~
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO
Skip the X3--- buy an X5.
Why?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,469
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibong
Thanks for your advice.
I just called my salesman and here are the costs:
Aluminum Trim (he told me they somehow have it on the car without premium package): $455
MACO (Advertising): $330
PDI: $235
Mats: $100
Total: $1120

I am actually paying in cash
PDI... that is a garbage fee.. nothing but profit.. But, its only $235..

I think you'll find out that the car has the premium package.. On the 3.0, KBB won't let you put the sport package on without selecting the premium package also. Aluminum trim is a no-cost option with the premium package. Plus, there is no way to get up to that MSRP without adding it.

regards,
kyfdx
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,688
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Stop beating the dealer up and buy the darn car!

If you had made a $40,000+ investment (and built a dealership and paid salaries to support the item), you'd likely deserve to make a few thousand on your investment!

Don't nickel and dime the poor dealership... buy the car and enjoy it!
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
LeucX3 LeucX3 is offline
~~~~~~~~~~
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Stop beating the dealer up and buy the darn car!

If you had made a $40,000+ investment (and built a dealership and paid salaries to support the item), you'd likely deserve to make a few thousand on your investment!

Don't nickel and dime the poor dealership... buy the car and enjoy it!
True. And if you take your car for service at this dealership, they may remember the difficulty of the sales transaction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2004, 05:11 PM
ProcyonB's Avatar
ProcyonB ProcyonB is offline
Official n00b
Location: 1.5 mile-high club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,699
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO
Skip the X3--- buy an X5.
Why? I drove the X5 and the X3 and bought two X3 3.0. To each their own.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
drewpsb70 drewpsb70 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 02 325i Sport
that's a good question

if i had to choose between the X3 and the X5 which should i choose?

sorry if this has already been discussed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,688
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpsb70
that's a good question

if i had to choose between the X3 and the X5 which should i choose?

sorry if this has already been discussed
Which is better, the 3-series or the 5-series?

Two different buyers with completely different objectives.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Which is better, the 3-series or the 5-series?

Two different buyers with completely different objectives.
The 3 and 5 cars seem night and day compared to the x5 and x3 where there is a lot of overlap there. To an extent anyhow.
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,688
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
The 3 and 5 cars seem night and day compared to the x5 and x3 where there is a lot of overlap there. To an extent anyhow.
I own an X5, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X3.

My wife and I don't consider there much overlap whatsoever. We like the width and size of the X5. It is nearly perfect for our needs.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-01-2004, 11:34 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
I own an X5, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X3.

My wife and I don't consider there much overlap whatsoever. We like the width and size of the X5. It is nearly perfect for our needs.
Yeah, I guess if you compare apples to apples (dimensions) on the 5 vs. 3 and x5 vs. x3 you'd get similar results. For me it's more of a category thing: When comparing sedans I see many differences but with SUV's I kind of lump most of them in together and don't see many differences in general.
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2004, 01:07 PM
LeucX3 LeucX3 is offline
~~~~~~~~~~
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,408
Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
I own an X5, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X3.

My wife and I don't consider there much overlap whatsoever. We like the width and size of the X5. It is nearly perfect for our needs.
And I own an X3, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X5.

Myself and I don't cosider there much overlap whatsoever. I like the width and size of the X3. It is nearly perfect for my needs.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,688
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
[QUOTE=LeucX3]And I own an X3, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X5.

Myself and I don't cosider there much overlap whatsoever. I like the width and size of the X3. It is nearly perfect for my needs.
QUOTE]

__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:15 AM
ProcyonB's Avatar
ProcyonB ProcyonB is offline
Official n00b
Location: 1.5 mile-high club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,699
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
The 3 and 5 cars seem night and day compared to the x5 and x3 where there is a lot of overlap there. To an extent anyhow.
The only overlap is in the price (my X3 cost $5000 more than a 3.0 X5).

My wife and I do not like the look of the X5 inside or out, and the X3 handles better and is roomier. (and the X3 is made in Graz )

I am pretty sure X5 owners will feel completely opposite this -- to each their own.
__________________
Why is "W" pronounced "double-u" when it is actually a double v?

Last edited by ProcyonB; 09-02-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:20 AM
FireFly FireFly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Granite State
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,620
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcyonB
The only overlap is in the price (my X3 cost $5000 more than a 3.0 X5).

My wife and I do not like the look of the X5 inside or out, and the X3 handles better and is roomier. (and the X3 is made in Graz )

I am pretty sure X5 owners will feel completely opposite this -- to each their own.
How can an X3 cost 5k more than the X5?
__________________
330xi (sold)
1965 C2 Roadster
2005 X3 3.0
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:37 AM
JPinTO JPinTO is offline
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,301
Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
I own an X5, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X3.

My wife and I don't consider there much overlap whatsoever. We like the width and size of the X5. It is nearly perfect for our needs.

BINGO!!! X3 is the BMW CRV.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
ProcyonB's Avatar
ProcyonB ProcyonB is offline
Official n00b
Location: 1.5 mile-high club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,699
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
How can an X3 cost 5k more than the X5?
Options and packages combined to add $10,000 to the price of my X3. Things like lumbar support, speed-sensitive steering, 10-speaker sound system, body-matching side coloring, et cetera cost an arm and a leg on the X3 while they come standard with the X5. I think a box of kleenex cost $800 on the X3. hehe
__________________
Why is "W" pronounced "double-u" when it is actually a double v?

Last edited by ProcyonB; 09-02-2004 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:49 AM
ProcyonB's Avatar
ProcyonB ProcyonB is offline
Official n00b
Location: 1.5 mile-high club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,699
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO
BINGO!!! X3 is the BMW CRV.
LOL the CRV is cheaper, smaller and less powerfull than the Pilot. The X3 is roomier than the X5, has better handling, can be more expensive (than the X5 3.0i) and has a better power/weight ratio than said X5 -- and looks better to boot.
__________________
Why is "W" pronounced "double-u" when it is actually a double v?

Last edited by ProcyonB; 09-02-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:51 AM
JPinTO JPinTO is offline
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,301
Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeucX3
And I own an X3, and will replace it with another. I'd never consider the X5.

Myself and I don't cosider there much overlap whatsoever. I like the width and size of the X3. It is nearly perfect for my needs.

Incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-02-2004, 06:51 AM
ProcyonB's Avatar
ProcyonB ProcyonB is offline
Official n00b
Location: 1.5 mile-high club
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,699
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
Sounds like you need to work on your negotiation skills.
2005 ED that I am picking up next month with lots of options picked -- not a lot of room to negotiate (unlike the 2004 X5 the dealer tried to talk me into).
__________________
Why is "W" pronounced "double-u" when it is actually a double v?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms