Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Replacing sunroof felt, anyone have any info on it?

Going to replace the felt on my sunroof once the part gets in and I was wondering if anyone knew what holds it on there? I see DIYs for removing the sunroof, which looks fairly easy, but as far as removing the felt and replacing it I have no idea what to do yet. Anyone know? And yes I've searched like you wouldn't believe...
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Bump. Part is on it's way... felt is white as white gets and sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyone help me out?
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Corner Carving Addict

So I'm guessing no one knows anything about this?

Well I guess I'm winging it...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Yeah man, you're winging it, it's not a common replaced item I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it just didn't stretch over the glass.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Yeah man, you're winging it, it's not a common replaced item I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it just didn't stretch over the glass.
Well the issue is if I take it off and I find there is some kind of sealant or glue, and I have no sealant or glue to put the new one on... then I can't drive my car until it is fixed since lately it is raining every day in Florida... So that's my dilemma.

Do you think the Bentley book would have any info on the felt or would that be a long shot?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Okay, finally found some info on it for anyone that stumbles on this thread sometime in the future. Here are the two links I found:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=sunroof+felt

http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-you...nt-diy-132606/

Gonna give it a try without taking the glass out. Wish me luck.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
Okay, finally found some info on it for anyone that stumbles on this thread sometime in the future. Here are the two links I found:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=sunroof+felt

Gonna give it a try without taking the glass out. Wish me luck.
Take pics if you can; I'm about to place an order for a seal myself.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
OK, I have to ask. I've seen more than a few threads/posts lately asking about replacement of unsightly sunroof gaskets. What is going on? Are the seals deteriorating or are people just sloppy when they wax the roof?

The seal on my E46 looked only slightly worn after nine-plus years and was still black. The E90's roof looks like new, approaching three years of age. So do we chalk (sorry) these up as freak occurrences, poor maintenance or something else? Are the seals on the E90 not aging as well as those on the E46?

PS: Per the Bentley manual, the E46 sunroof panel gasket was installed by lubricating it & the channel in the glass with soapy water--no adhesive or sealant. The E90 is probably the same but you'll know immediately when you try to pull the old seal.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 07-19-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
OK, I have to ask. I've seen more than a few threads/posts lately asking about replacement of unsightly sunroof gaskets. What is going on? Are the seals deteriorating or are people just sloppy when they wax the roof?

The seal on my E46 looked only slightly worn after nine-plus years and was still black. The E90's roof looks like new, approaching three years of age. So do we chalk (sorry) these up as freak occurrences, poor maintenance or something else? Are the seals on the E90 not aging as well as those on the E46?

PS: Per the Bentley manual, the E46 sunroof panel gasket was installed by lubricating it & the channel in the glass with soapy water--no adhesive or sealant. The E90 is probably the same but you'll know immediately when you try to pull the old seal.
Ultraviolet is my guess as it's just a flock material, in addition to harsh soap and polishing.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

Well it is one of two things in my case. One being that they are making them different and they wear out faster (cause I keep very good care of my car, I won't even go in to it, but lets just say she's almost always clean). The other possibility being that sealant is effecting the felt, because I tape off those areas when waxing. Sealant shouldn't effect the felt but I guess it's possible. My felt at this point is a bright white that stands out like a sore thumb so it's due for replacing. I plan on popping out the glass (since it looks very easy to do) and then pulling the gasket/felt and going from there. Hopefully it doesn't need any sealant and just slides in. If it doesn't need any sealant I may try and soapy water thing. We'll see.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
I had mine replaced by the dealer under warranty... the felt was just completely bald when i bought it as a CPO. I would say take it in to the dealer and just ask or call and ask... or better yet... have a girl take it in with the part and ask for help. They'll do it!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Just wanted to update this for those that want to attempt themselves.

The sunroof came out very easy. Just remove the two accordion looking rubber pieces on both sides (after tilting the sunroof open), then remove the two torx screws on each side. the sunroof slides out very easy after that. Didn't even take me 5 mins to take out the sunroof and I had never done it before.

After the sunroof was out I pulled off the old gasket/felt trim and to my relief there was no sealant on the inside and was just held in by the rubber. Though I did have to cut mine as I had a decent amount of slack after it was fitted in all around (and FYI it is a pain to get the gasket pressed in hard enough to stay in all the way around, suppose the soapy water thing would help out a lot in this situation). I cut the gasket/trim down a bit and used a sealant to paste the two ends together. Was a bit tricky on that part but it turned out well.

Hopefully these three links will help out anyone wanting to attempt this. Also link 2 shows the sealant I used.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594387

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=54&fg=05

Last edited by Mk23; 09-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
glad it was an easy fix, and everyone can learn from your boldness on the task

I am having the same delema on my 335 convertible and replacing the center section rubber seal
Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
glad it was an easy fix, and everyone can learn from your boldness on the task

I am having the same delema on my 335 convertible and replacing the center section rubber seal
+1, thanks mk23, I still need to do this before rainy season.