Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Another USB flash drive thread... help

I have an 07 335i with idrive/nav. I have the 2 usb slots in my center console and both ports work to charge my phone. I have tried 3 different usb sticks ranging from 4gb to 16gb and none of them power up. I have plugged them in before I start the car and after- no lights at all. Is it possible I have 3 sticks that are not compatible with the system? Is my firmware too old? I would have thought one of these drives would have worked. I have formatted them FAT32. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Two usb slots in the console? That sounds a little different from my 08's system, which has one slot in the console, and supports a 500gb USB hard drive with only a few glitches.

It's likely that you have a slightly different iDrive version. Wasn't there a normal version and an executive version? I remember hearing something like that.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Yea 2 ports in the console. Im not sure about the different versions. Was hoping to get some answers here.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Sometimes you just have to google it.

I searched for "2007 idrive vs 2008" and found this.

Pre-LCI (March 2007) has different hardware and software for i-drive. As of March 2007, the controller has improved as well as the screen (at least for the 6.5" display). The differences are very clear, although the user interface did not change drastically. It feels like windows 3.11 versus windows 98.

In 2008 another change took place: The i-drive controller got the additional buttons for direct access of the 4 main categories. It looks like the completely new i-drive of the 3- and 7-series, but it isn't. It's only a new controller with the 2007 style i-drive.

http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...changes-71120/

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 AM

I wonder if the firmware can be upgraded in the 2007? So does this mean Im pretty much SOL?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
I wonder if the firmware can be upgraded in the 2007? So does this mean Im pretty much SOL?
BMW must have something in mind when they gave you two USB ports. What does your manual say about it?

Do you also have an AUX IN port in the center console? Like this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1248651157

It's possible that the ones in your center console are just for charging, and don't communicate with the iDrive.

Some BMW's put the USB port in the glove box. Look there.

If the goal is to get a lot of music on the car, it might be less trouble to just use an iPod adapter. I'm willing to bet that will work.

My 2008 iDrive can play from my hard disk, but it takes several minutes to start playing music after I start the car. And there's a pretty long delay when navigating from one directory to another. Playing music also slows down the GPS, since they use the same CPU.

I have a feeling that an iPod will give a better overall experience, although it does cost more.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM

There is nothing in the glove except the little flashlight.

The manual mentions nothing about an ipod either.

I find this weird. I haven't seen this setup in anyone elses vehicle.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: ABM E92
I am willing to bet your car does not have the USB connection option chosen at build. Thus you only have Aux-in. And those two USB inputs is just a cig-lighter-like accessory the previous owner put in to charge his gadgets. It is at the same spot as the power port in the other cars, and it's not even aligned right, you can probably remove it...

Check the sales sheet on the car, it probably doesn't show USB/bluetooth connection option.

without the accessory, yours would look like this: http://tinyurl.com/nz7qu44

Last edited by pmcu; 07-14-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcu View Post
I am willing to bet your car does not have the USB connection option chosen at build. Thus you only have Aux-in. And those two USB inputs is just a cig-lighter-like accessory the previous owner put in to charge his gadgets. It is at the same spot as the power port in the other cars, and it's not even aligned right, you can probably remove it...

Check the sales sheet on the car, it probably doesn't show USB/bluetooth connection option.

without the accessory, yours would look like this: http://tinyurl.com/nz7qu44
And if that's the case, there is nothing I can do but attempt to retrofit a 6FL right?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: ABM E92
Quote:
And if that's the case, there is nothing I can do but attempt to retrofit a 6FL right?
That's it, but it's costly and probably not worth it to do on a 07... a member here who did it paid around 1k, which is like 10% of the car for such a minor functional addition, and it's something you won't be able to take off and reuse when you sell the car. probably better to just buy a cheap ipod and plug it into the Aux-in.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcu View Post
That's it, but it's costly and probably not worth it to do on a 07... a member here who did it paid around 1k, which is like 10% of the car for such a minor functional addition, and it's something you won't be able to take off and reuse when you sell the car. probably better to just buy a cheap ipod and plug it into the Aux-in.
I was really hoping to get some tracks on screen. I should be able to play a dvdr though right?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:

There is nothing in the glove except the little flashlight.

The manual mentions nothing about an ipod either.

I find this weird. I haven't seen this setup in anyone elses vehicle.
This is not an official BMW USB slot. What you have is a cheap, off the shelf, USB charger.

Grab the 2 USB device and pull up. You'll find that it's a standard 12v socket charging adapter.

You can get something like a blackberry stereo gateway and plug that into the port you have there. That will allow you to stream music from your phone, wirelessly, over bluetooth.

If you want full integration into your iDrive and steering wheel controls, you need an interface like the DICE kit which uses the factory CD changer connections in the trunk.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
LOL that is clearly a USB charger. How in the the world could you mistake that thing for a factory USB port?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
I was really hoping to get some tracks on screen. I should be able to play a dvdr though right?
Maybe; maybe not. There are two different formats for recordable DVDs: DVD-R and DVD+R. You might find that the car's DVD drive can only read one or the other, or both--or neither. Check the owner's manual for a list of supported media formats.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA