Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Update on my X5 work

Hi Guys

Well, like i said in the last post, i bought a 2003 X5 3.0D a few months ago, absolutely loving it, Got alot of service receipts etc but decided id service it myself anyway, It had a wobble when braking at reasonably high speeds so i got myself some front discs and pads too, i went genuine BMW with the complete service kit and discs etc, cost me an arm and a leg but im glad i did it, i also fitted a removable tow bar at the same time

First things first, i am so glad i changed the auto trans filter and oil, its like a brand new box now!! so smooth

My brake wobble is about 90% better now, i wouldnt say its completely fixed, any ideas??

Couldnt believe how awkward the air filter was, very rare you see a pollen filter done in a fraction of the time an air filter is

And then of course the oul filter and a load of fresh Castrol oil too

So i really gave it the good treatment

Tow bar was a doddle to fit, v happy with that, then comes the goodies

I fitted a Bavsound bluetooth module, so easy to fit and a great little piece of kit, they were extremely helpful too

Now, onto the negatives, whilst carrying out the work, i found a CV boot ripped open very badly so that explains the notching im getting when turning/reversing, anything to note when buying and fitting one of these? its my front left gone

Also, my alarm, i have 2 dogs and quite often find myself having to leave them in the X5 for a while and i cant bloody lock the thing because they set the alarm off, is there anyway to work around this?

next, my dash shows temp in Farenheit, Anyway to change that to degrees celcius?

And lastly, my front window demister, is there anyway to just put that on a low setting instead of full power? when i press the demister it just auto goes to full power and if i knock it down a notch it just turns off? its an odd one but its bothering me......

Think thats it for now

Hope you guys can help with some of these and if anyone has any questions about the work i did i'd be happy to help

Thanks

M
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.8is
Farenheit/Celsius is in the menu system of your audio system.
To turn off the motion sensors, press the lock button twice when you lock it - the red light on the mirror will flash continuously.
That torn CV boot could also be causing your wobble. Replace the whole CV axle and you may kill two birds with one stone.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
hi

yeah agree with the above

wobble could be a gone bush in the front or joint , x5 is heavy and will go through them quick .. jack front up an d check joint see what play is in the should be very little should be tight

the blower there is a thing called a hedgehog in behind the heater and these go on all BMWs easy to change , it a controller with a big metal heatshink on the back of it
cheap to buy and easy to fit 15 mins had to do it to mine

If CV joint is ripped defo this needs changed its normally filled with grease to protect joint which has been prob running dry for ages