Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Pics of old spark plugs, and PS fluid capacity questions

Well, after finally getting my car back after a couple of weeks, and finally receiving my backordered BMS spark plug tool and what I assume to be pre gapped, OEM plugs (they don't say BMW on them like the old ones), I just did that job for the first time, and I have to say it's actually quite a bit of fun. A lot less messy or dangerous than some of the fluid changes I have recently done. The hardest part is probabaly after the engine cowl is already back on, which is reinstalling the tray and stuff. I dropped one of the two receiver nuts for the tray, it's underneath the white electronics box, I think I will start looking for some sort of small flexible clawed grabber tool (recommendations are of course welcome). It's going nowhere for the moment, wedged pretty good.

The Cobb video is what taught me how to do this, I watched the middle part multiple times until I pretty much had it committed to memory, it was very helpful indeed.

Cylinder 5 was the trickiest only because I had to experiment to find the right extension that is still long enough, but not too long where the black brace (terminology?) gets in the way of my wrenches.

I've read here enough times that anti-seize is not to be used, so didn't use any, but there sure was some resistance with at least a couple of the plugs. I think the latter cylinders may have been the most gunked up or closest to "seized".

I do not know how to visually judge spark plugs, so I was wondering if one of you guys could teach me how to judge these pics? They still look very good, with lots of life left? Too much gunk? Just about normal? Oh btw, these are not in any order (they were at first, but got all mixed up eventually). edit, ah ok I see that Kurgan linked this over at the other current plugs thread, and my plugs sure like very healthy compared to some of these! http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp

See the scratching of my Burger spark plug tool? Is this normal, or abnormal but no big deal, or something bad?

My power steering fluid questions: I've decided I was crazy for thinking about the "complete flush" for this system, and gee after my recent trials and tribulations, the turkey baster method is sounding really good right about now! Hehe. I looked up all three sections listed in the index of my Bentley manual under "power steering", but I can't find anything about capacities, and so far my internet searching has also been fruitless. I was wondering if anyone knew what the system capacity is, and what the reservoir capacity is? I was hoping to get an idea of what % flush I could get, after running into this interesting E46 calcuation. Perhaps the E46 and E9x are pretty similar in this regard? The poster thinks that 3 bottles gets up to around a 90%, whereas other responders think that 1 bottle is enough. I only have 1 bottle atm.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=866634

As always, thanks for your input.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-14-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I generally use two mason jars, I suck out the old fluid in one jar and adjacent, I fill with new fluid to match the same level and pur in. I drive for a week, do the same thing 5 consecutive weekends, usually 1.5L worth of fluid.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I generally use two mason jars, I suck out the old fluid in one jar and adjacent, I fill with new fluid to match the same level and pur in. I drive for a week, do the same thing 5 consecutive weekends, usually 1.5L worth of fluid.
Thanks! I am going to use your idea. I think my OEM fluid container is 1 liter... do you just keep the .5L for another day, keep for emergency use, or just toss away after a certain amount of time? Perhaps it keeps so well in its metal container for many years (unlike OEM brake fluid in plastic containers) that it can be used for the next PS fluid change down the line? The mason jar idea is the first I've heard of that, if .3L is about the size of the reservoir, a pint sized jar seems to be the perfect size for the job.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Thanks! I am going to use your idea. I think my OEM fluid container is 1 liter... do you just keep the .5L for another day, keep for emergency use, or just toss away after a certain amount of time? Perhaps it keeps so well in its metal container for many years (unlike OEM brake fluid in plastic containers) that it can be used for the next PS fluid change down the line? The mason jar idea is the first I've heard of that, if .3L is about the size of the reservoir, a pint sized jar seems to be the perfect size for the job.

I keep it for the next swap, it lasts unlike brake fluid. I found the jars pretty easy to put in just as much as you removed; it's easy to overfill that small reservoir.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
I also use the BMS tool, and yes, the scratching is normal...it's a tight fit in there!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
I keep it for the next swap, it lasts unlike brake fluid. I found the jars pretty easy to put in just as much as you removed; it's easy to overfill that small reservoir.
Thank you. Kurgan, I was searching around, and did find some contradictory statements, however I could not at the time distinguish if people were talking about hydraulic systems or not, let alone BMW... I also browsed around for best pricing after shipping, and so far it looks like a vendor selling via Amazon at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I also use the BMS tool, and yes, the scratching is normal...it's a tight fit in there!
Thanks! Being the noob that I am, you just never know!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Thanks again. Pic just for the entertainment. I'll say that opening and/or pouring the PS container in an ideal way escapes me for now, spilled/wasted a bit at first. Anyway, the clarity difference between new and old is subtle, as expected for me. New is on right of course.

Hey- does anyone know what is under the "white electronics box", under the hood on passenger side of the microfilter tray? As I described before, the receiver nut for the microfilter tray fell down in there, but I couldn't get it out with this cool little tool, with either the magnetic or claw attachment.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If one day it un-wedges itself, where would it go? My guess is that it's probably best left alone, but I could not find any helpful info yet in my manual, nor with my feeble searches of the RealOEM diagrams...

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-19-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling/typo
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks again. Pic just for the entertainment. I'll say that opening and/or pouring the PS container in an ideal way escapes me for now, spilled/wasted a bit at first. Anyway, the clarity difference between new and old is subtle, as expected for me. New is on right of course.

Hey- does anyone know what is under the "white electronics box", under the hood on passenger side of the microfilter tray? As I described before, the receiver nut for the microfilter tray fell down in there, but I couldn't get it out with this cool little tool, with either the magnetic or claw attachment.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If one day it un-wedges itself, where would it go? My guess is that it's probably best left alone, but I could not find any helpful info yet in my manual, nor with my feeble searches of the RealOEM diagrams...

Looks damn similar. By the 5th weekend, I was pulling out nearly the identical color from the Pentosin. It looks similar, but put a few drops on a paper towel and you can see the brownish tint. Nice work.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM
wooohooo

Thanks sir, for the tip and compliment.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
The white box is the ECU casket. Quite familiar to all the JB4 users

2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
The white box is the ECU casket. Quite familiar to all the JB4 users
Thanks bear. I do remember that's where the JB users were plugging in, when I first was intrigued however many years ago. I didn't know for certain that the ECU was in there, and I don't know what other electronics might be in there, but at least I finally know what that white box is called! Do you agree that my guess is a good one as far as leaving everything be? (I can't imagine un-attaching the box holding the ECU just to fetch a nut is a good one.) I also assume that it must be entirely closed in there to keep it clean as possible, therefore I also assume that the nut will never fall out into the street one day, it will live there forever until I remove it... Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I replaced my plugs at 40k and they looked about like that. They could have gone further, but plugs aren't that expensive and I wanted to get them out of there. The bigger issue is the coils. I replaced them too because I already had 2 go out and had gotten stranded in the middle on nowhere once. I didn't want to get stranded again.

That's what you need to be worried about.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Driver View Post
I replaced my plugs at 40k and they looked about like that. They could have gone further, but plugs aren't that expensive and I wanted to get them out of there. The bigger issue is the coils. I replaced them too because I already had 2 go out and had gotten stranded in the middle on nowhere once. I didn't want to get stranded again.

That's what you need to be worried about.
Gee, a set of coils is not cheap by any means. I wonder which is more likely to leave an E9x owner stranded, the coils or the water pump, because the coils at first glance seem expensive enough to almost buy the water pump as it is... Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I think they were about $40/ea at ecs tuning. But when the 1st one went out I had to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer parts and labor for 1 was more than the other 5 coils so I didn't want to risk getting stranded again, and sure enough another one went out, thankfully only 1/2 mi from home before I changed the other 5.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM
wooohooo

I see your point. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Thanks bear. I do remember that's where the JB users were plugging in, when I first was intrigued however many years ago. I didn't know for certain that the ECU was in there, and I don't know what other electronics might be in there, but at least I finally know what that white box is called! Do you agree that my guess is a good one as far as leaving everything be? (I can't imagine un-attaching the box holding the ECU just to fetch a nut is a good one.) I also assume that it must be entirely closed in there to keep it clean as possible, therefore I also assume that the nut will never fall out into the street one day, it will live there forever until I remove it... Thanks again.

I looked at your plugs....'bout right for 40k mi. Guessing you're replacing due to that mileage, as I soon will be.

White ECU box.....downfall of many a man, addicted to JB4....

Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I looked at your plugs....'bout right for 40k mi. Guessing you're replacing due to that mileage, as I soon will be.

White ECU box.....downfall of many a man, addicted to JB4....
More like 30K, Cal. As for JB4, still no tune on the horizon for me, not yet anyway.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
More like 30K, Cal. As for JB4, still no tune on the horizon for me, not yet anyway.

Whoa! Deosn't the service book say 40k mi plug change, 335i?

Maybe I'm mistaken. 'Course, JB4 might shorten that some.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Whoa! Deosn't the service book say 40k mi plug change, 335i?

Maybe I'm mistaken. 'Course, JB4 might shorten that some.
I'm pretty sure it is 45K, yes mine are done early. I figure if do mine every 30K, I would only have "overspent" by only $69 for the first 90K miles. And according to people I trust, when running searches, it's not a bad idea for this kind of interval simply to avoid seizing, and there is no anti-seize used here as you know.

I think the Cobb video which was instrumental to me was saying that they recommend something like 25K changes if you're running their tune. I imagine they would feel similarly for JB4 or any other aggressive tune. They must have had a LOT of customers complaining about plugs/coils for them to make a very nice video like that.

But really the main reason I did this is because I just really wanted to do this just to do it, for the experience, haha. I finally wrapped my head around the coolant flush, that may come sooner than later after all. I need some empty containers to hold my old fluids, speaking of, including my present slow going PS flush, I should get on that.

Anyway if I were you, I'd do yours now. It is really fun, and for someone with your experience, it's so easy you'd probably yawn.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is 45K, yes mine are done early. I figure if do mine every 30K, I would only have "overspent" by only $69 for the first 90K miles. And according to people I trust, when running searches, it's not a bad idea for this kind of interval simply to avoid seizing, and there is no anti-seize used here as you know.

I think the Cobb video which was instrumental to me was saying that they recommend something like 25K changes if you're running their tune. I imagine they would feel similarly for JB4 or any other aggressive tune. They must have had a LOT of customers complaining about plugs/coils for them to make a very nice video like that.

But really the main reason I did this is because I just really wanted to do this just to do it, for the experience, haha. I finally wrapped my head around the coolant flush, that may come sooner than later after all. I need some empty containers to hold my old fluids, speaking of, including my present slow going PS flush, I should get on that.

Anyway if I were you, I'd do yours now. It is really fun, and for someone with your experience, it's so easy you'd probably yawn.

Ha! Ordered plugs 'n' tool from Terry last week....'bout due....
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM
wooohooo

I took another pic recently. The difference is more apparent here even though I'm probably at least halfway through the process, and the right side includes the very last drop from the first container. (I'll start on the second container this weekend.) No it didn't overfill, I was on the lower end, and now am at just a couple mm below the max line.