Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier is awesome

It's 900 bazillion times better than AA wheel protectant. I recently OptiCoated my brother's car, but otherwise I cannot compare these products (even though they're not intended to be the same thing, if OC is as good or superior to BDB, my brother should be ecstatic about his paint protection). There is hardly any brake dust, at all, after a number of days of driving. I would guess that just one hour of driving with AA looks worse than several days with BDB. I haven't washed the car since the application, but I won't be surprised if it all comes right off with water only. It's quite affordable, around $12 or less for the spray can, and my only advice is to wear a mask and/or get out of the garage as soon as the application is done, and don't come back for at least an hour, it pretty much smells like instant brain damage. I had cleaned mine up pretty well before application, lots of IPA wipedown, clay, the works, should have used IronX in retrospect, but nevertheless I'm happy with the performance as you can tell. Thanks to TJPark01 for his past suggestion and tips, wherever that guy might be.
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I like AA but maybe I'll give the MBDB a try .... always looking for something better although the product gets some pretty sketchy reviews .......

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Rims-...owViewpoints=1

Yes, miss TJPark he was the authority ..... he da man!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)

Last edited by laser; 07-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I like AA but maybe I'll give the MBDB a try .... always looking for something better although the product gets some pretty sketchy reviews .......

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Rims-...owViewpoints=1

Yes, miss TJPark he was the authority ..... he da man!
Do you know where he went? I haven't contacted him, just noticed his absence. Anyway FWIW, the last we talked about this product (I just checked my old PMs), he had it on two cars at the time, one at 4 months, the other at 6 months, and he said the performance hadn't degraded even one bit, and it was he who likened it to Opti-Coat but for the wheels (and of course it doesn't have the $70 price tag). He said to fight the urge to use too much as it will run (I wasn't gentle about it, and there was zero issue, so I'm thinking that those who get it runny must be using tons and tons, but then maybe I've just been well trained with my detailing experiences, knowing that "thin is in".) He also stressed the importance of cleaning. A term I was reading a lot while researching OC application recently, was "surgically clean".
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
The odor description is enough of a turn off for me...Pass
Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Especially when the LCI E9X cars are equipped with pads that dust significantly less than pre-LCI pads.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Especially when the LCI E9X cars are equipped with pads that dust significantly less than pre-LCI pads.
Truth!! No brake dust for us...Gone a month between washing with barely a dusting
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Truth!! No brake dust for us...Gone a month between washing with barely a dusting
I sure don't miss the old pads. My ex-E93 would go 10 miles after being washed and the wheels were filthy. One good stop from speed would do it too.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
It's 900 bazillion times better than AA wheel protectant. I recently OptiCoated my brother's car, but otherwise I cannot compare these products (even though they're not intended to be the same thing, if OC is as good or superior to BDB, my brother should be ecstatic about his paint protection). There is hardly any brake dust, at all, after a number of days of driving. I would guess that just one hour of driving with AA looks worse than several days with BDB. I haven't washed the car since the application, but I won't be surprised if it all comes right off with water only. It's quite affordable, around $12 or less for the spray can, and my only advice is to wear a mask and/or get out of the garage as soon as the application is done, and don't come back for at least an hour, it pretty much smells like instant brain damage. I had cleaned mine up pretty well before application, lots of IPA wipedown, clay, the works, should have used IronX in retrospect, but nevertheless I'm happy with the performance as you can tell. Thanks to TJPark01 for his past suggestion and tips, wherever that guy might be.
The spray is probably getting all over the brake pads and discs, as well as on the body paint?

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I sure don't miss the old pads. My ex-E93 would go 10 miles after being washed and the wheels were filthy. One good stop from speed would do it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The spray is probably getting all over the brake pads and discs, as well as on the body paint?
Firstly, the odor. I should have been more descriptive about my experiences. It actually wasn't that bad when I did my 4 wheels, inside and out, the barrels, etc. It was the second time when I used it on a different car, with the wheels still on the vehicle, that it was more offensive for some reason. Pretty bad that time around, I didn't hang out in the garage for at least an hour or so. I'm wondering if it may have had to with my technique; I may have been more deliberate, methodical, slow-moving the first time. The second time, I did it more quickly (just with an extra pass or two), I think perhaps more out of old habit with how I've used AA for years now (and for no good reason, it's just how I've used it).

Secondly, do you guys know if you order replacement "LCI" pads, that you would get the low dusting type as what some of you now have? I ask because I've recently read someone saying that when you buy new pads, you instead get the old school mega dusty types. Regardless of the pads I chose, I'd still use at least BDB if not OC a this point. (FWIW, I'm leaning towards OEM pads if just due to personal preference when that time comes; brakes are probably my next natural DIY progression at this point after fluids and plugs, rears are 9K out according to the OBC.)

Chop- I think you might like the Opti-Coat route. If I did it all over again at this point, I would probably do that; I didn't know I would be doing so much OC for family members when I had applied the stuff. There's always give and take, and in this case it is cost and application difficulty. Not terribly difficult by any means, but anything is harder than a spray can, and if you leave high spots, they can only be removed by polishing. No smell that I noticed with OC. Any MF towel or applicator that is used for the process, it's tossed afterward.

beden1- the instructions are to hold the can 6" away, and TBH the overspray is quite minimal IMO. You wipe off any overspray on the tire. I don't know what can be done about the rotor and such, but I imagine they would not have created this product if there was any chance of putting the driver at risk. I bet it would be abraded off very quickly, I guess one could try a hard braking or two after application just for good measure. But for my own wheels, as aforementioned I did them inside and out.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Snip...

Secondly, do you guys know if you order replacement "LCI" pads, that you would get the low dusting type as what some of you now have? I ask because I've recently read someone saying that when you buy new pads, you instead get the old school mega dusty types. Regardless of the pads I chose, I'd still use at least BDB if not OC a this point. (FWIW, I'm leaning towards OEM pads if just due to personal preference when that time comes; brakes are probably my next natural DIY progression at this point after fluids and plugs, rears are 9K out according to the OBC.)

...snip
Old pads (front) are part number: 34116794917 New pads (front) are part number: 34116794920 Call before you take your car in to see which pads the dealer has. If the 917s, then either insist the pads be replaced with the 920s or take the car to another dealer. If the car is out of warranty, then buy the '920 pads and have your indie do the replacement.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Old pads (front) are part number: 34116794917 New pads (front) are part number: 34116794920 Call before you take your car in to see which pads the dealer has. If the 917s, then either insist the pads be replaced with the 920s or take the car to another dealer. If the car is out of warranty, then buy the '920 pads and have your indie do the replacement.
Thanks! I'm planning on DIY. I just did my first oil change last year, and at this point it's looking like I may DIY all of the maintenance for the life of the car... (famous last words). In the last month or so I've done fluids for trans, brakes, diff, engine & few easy filters... oh yeah, spark plugs too, and PS is next (which I predict will be the very easiest at this point). Thanks to you, I can easily remember to look up my own thread to reference the parts numbers you so kindly laid out for me, when that day does come.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm planning on DIY. I just did my first oil change last year, and at this point it's looking like I may DIY all of the maintenance for the life of the car... (famous last words). In the last month or so I've done fluids for trans, brakes, diff, engine & few easy filters... oh yeah, spark plugs too, and PS is next (which I predict will be the very easiest at this point). Thanks to you, I can easily remember to look up my own thread to reference the parts numbers you so kindly laid out for me, when that day does come.
I may try this on a set of winter wheels while they are off the car. I'd like to see how long your application lasts, and if you could come back to this post in a few months to let us know, that would be very helpful.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I may try this on a set of winter wheels while they are off the car. I'd like to see how long your application lasts, and if you could come back to this post in a few months to let us know, that would be very helpful.
I'll see what I can do. I don't put on the miles that some of you guys do, and I probably am more gentle on the exterior than many owners, but I will see if I can provide more feedback. But honestly, I might consider Opti-Coat if I were you. When the wheels come off, you could do them on both sets... You will have leftovers for sure, but the vendor I bought it from told me if fridged, it will keep forever. Optimum says it keeps forever as long as it is kept away from moisture (air). But then again, it's $70 vs $12 or around there...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM
wooohooo

For beden and anyone else, checking back in after a bit over a month, probably a few car washes later. This wheel has close to 100 miles on it since the last wash, not touched at all since. I'd say about 60 city vs 40 highway. Yes you can see some accumulation of the brake dust, and a couple of streaks, but man compared to before... yes, these are the stock dusty pads that came with the car...

Oh I forgot to mention... I now line up my roundel to the stem, just like uhhhh you know who...

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 08-16-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM

That looks good. I'll give it a try on a winter set of wheels. Thanks.

Current Stablemates: