Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Lysol trick on the AC worked amazingly well

I'd swear the AC blows colder now. It's the coldest BMW air I've felt of the seven I've owned to date

This is an E93 I bought at 10.3K with a ton of issues (dealer failed to resolve most but I DIY fixed the rest and it's now almost at 15K miles with this being the only 'new' issue). Come summer we discovered this 'new' problem.. the AC stank badly. Recently it got too hot to drive with the top down so the AC has been used

I emptied about half a can of Lysol into the cabin vent intakes while running the AC on full. Since then it smelled of faintly lysol for a few days but otherwise it was ten minutes very well spent

This was a Miami car originally but we live in Atlanta. Presumably nasty things had grown on the AC coils before we bought it

Wonder what a dealer would have charged? Or if they'd have covered it under warranty... no way will I take back in unless anything major is wrong. The dealer broke both vanity light clips when adjusting the roof; after several emails I just ordered new ones and installed them myself. The kept falling out because the tech snapped the clips

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 07-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Wurth used to make a non-scented aerosol for this issue with the bacteria on the coils. Maybe they stopped producing that stuff. Is there a non-scented lysol I wonder?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

The one shown in my pic did not smell too much. Don't know which one it is, we had an almost full can in the house so I took it and used about half a can

It's super inexpensive and easy to find so IMO it's worth tolerating the residual smell for a few days than making the extra effort to find an automotive specific product

Saying that I instantly found one on Amazon for only $15 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z2MKO

Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
The one shown in my pic did not smell too much. Don't know which one it is, we had an almost full can in the house so I took it and used about half a can

It's super inexpensive and easy to find so IMO it's worth tolerating the residual smell for a few days than making the extra effort to find an automotive specific product

Saying that I instantly found one on Amazon for only $15 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z2MKO
Yes I've used that stuff, very effective.

I think it works better than lysol because it gets to the evaporator pan, but anything including lysol helps with the gym sock / barnyard odor.

BTW my SA at United BMW said if you turn off (all lights off) the recirc control on an E9x, the evap vent door opens at power off allowing the condensate to drain and evaporate.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Lysol trick on the AC worked amazingly well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post

I think it works better than lysol because it gets to the evaporator pan, but anything including lysol helps with the gym sock / barnyard odor.

BTW my SA at United BMW said if you turn off (all lights off) the recirc control on an E9x, the evap vent door opens at power off allowing the condensate to drain and evaporate.
That last part does indeed help... And not just on BMWs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post

The evaporator drain is supposed to drain all the time. That is what the little drops of water on the road/garage floor/driveway mean. No drops = blocked drain.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
I emptied about half a can of Lysol into the cabin vent intakes while running the AC on full. Since then it smelled of faintly lysol for a few days but otherwise it was ten minutes very well spent

A common issue in AC drain pans: bacterial activity. Li'l ammonium quat + dispersant fills zee bill....

But does your evaporator route water to pavement? Could be partially or totally plugged!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
A common issue in AC drain pans: bacterial activity. Li'l ammonium quat + dispersant fills zee bill....

But does your evaporator route water to pavement? Could be partially or totally plugged!
Leave puddles on the ground. I do wonder if it's partially clogged as the car's main rain drains were. Need to google sometime to find where it is and push a trombone cleaner/whatever fits up there

Fully clogged means water in the footwells for most car