Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
Steering Feel: RunFlats vs Non-RunFlats, what is your experience?

Many magazines have chided many of the current cars, including the BMW F10, with poor feel through their power assisted steering. It was on reason Car and Driver placed the M5 behind the E63 and S7 (not even an RS7!) in a 2012 road test: 2013 Audi S6 vs. 2013 BMW M5, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - Comparison Tests

If you have driven the 5 series on both runflats and non-runflats, which had better steering feel? If you tried the RWD and AWD versions, which was better?

Personally, I don't know why they don't put strain gauges on the steering rack and the steering column and control the assist to provide effort proportional with the forces at the wheel. It wouldn't have to be linear, but just intuitive. With electric assist, the response time should be adequate to get the desired effect. Poor feel I believe is created by hysteresis in the steering mechanism (GM improved the Corvette by improving the tolerance in the steering rack), masking smaller displacement/higher frequency movements and force changes.

But they don't, so what effect does a change of tires cause?
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: E60 550i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
If you have driven the 5 series on both runflats and non-runflats, which had better steering feel? If you tried the RWD and AWD versions, which was better?
Ditched the RFTs after 15 months of ownership. Ride improved perceptibly but negligibly (i.e. the harshness of the ride improved a bit), and road noise dropped a little (those awful RFTs make a terrible racket). But, at the end of the day, there is not much overall improvement.

The sad fact is that the F10's steering rack and road feel is so numb these days that the tires are way down on the list of things that will improve the ride of the pre-LCI F10s.

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

2011 F10 535xi (ED July 15, 2011)
2008 E60 550i (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i (Retired)

Member BMWCCA #402733

Last edited by BickUW89; 07-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.