Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 84 533i
84 533i spark trouble fuel maybe?

car just turns over not even a pop or sputter nothing checked coil with meter seems like the numbers are in area they should be and also put a plug in a plug wire the grounded to valve cover to check for spark wile turning it over but had no luck it seems what should i check next
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper533 View Post
car just turns over not even a pop or sputter nothing checked coil with meter seems like the numbers are in area they should be and also put a plug in a plug wire the grounded to valve cover to check for spark wile turning it over but had no luck it seems what should i check next
The distributor cap, rotor, and coil wire.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM

%#$@%#@%@$ freaking out !#@$#@%%#$%@HELP

ive replaced the releif relay distributor cap and rotor coil and coil wire fuel pump just cause it was laying around whats really furked is that i replace that relay and the thing started right up then went to get in it to go to work wouldnt start then when i got home from work it started rite up then since i replaced all this it wont start at all used a copper wire the same size as the coil to distrutor and no change whatsoever
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper533 View Post
ive replaced the releif relay distributor cap and rotor coil and coil wire fuel pump just cause it was laying around whats really furked is that i replace that relay and the thing started right up then went to get in it to go to work wouldnt start then when i got home from work it started rite up then since i replaced all this it wont start at all used a copper wire the same size as the coil to distrutor and no change whatsoever
Could be a loose or corroded connection somewhere. Sometimes wires and terminals corrode under the insulation where it's difficult to detect. Try working on the wires and connections to the relay that seemed to solve your problem earlier. You may want to check your reference and speed sensors too. They are on the driver's side of the bellhousing.

Last edited by catso; 08-27-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I would guess the main relay, fuel relay or the reference sensors in the tranny. if your horn works you can use the horn relay in place of the fuel relay.

Andy
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM

looking at main relay next man im about to freak on this damn thing
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM

checked the sensors good so far had some dry oil type of build up on the ends of them other then that no hair line cracks or anything but my buddy says that they usually come apart from the inside everyone is saying if it isnt this relay that its the brain box in the glove box i took a meter to it to test the continuety on the pins to the brain box theres like 24 PINS and all but three had continuety or however u spell that should all of them have that i dont know but the main relay should be here tomorrow and if its not that i need a brain box i guess man this car is really ****in with me