Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
$149 4-wheel alignment!

Just wanted to let everyone know that BMW....YES!...the stealer, has dropped their price on 4-wheel alignments from $250 to $149. Got mine done 2 Fridays ago and it drives so straight.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that BMW....YES!...the stealer, has dropped their price on 4-wheel alignments from $250 to $149. Got mine done 2 Fridays ago and it drives so straight.
I hope you received a before and after printout for that price!

For the record, it cost me $90 to have my bimmer aligned this week but I had to supply my own ride-height weights:
> What can I have done at the alignment shop to reduce my drastic E39 inside tire wear?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
I just had mine done last month. $96. with tax.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultm8drvnmchn View Post
I just had mine done last month. $96. with tax.
Did the shop add ballast to the vehicle for that price?

I ran a survey today, and out here, it's a healthy bit more than that at the dealer (posted here):
- The REAL Reason For Using Weights During Alignment (No, It's Not What You Think.)

Here's an excerpt, bearing in mind that the weight is critical to get the bimmer into the NLP postion, which is the only position where the specs are valid.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
Not even the dealerships weight the cars. Call one up and ask. They dont.
Hmmmm....
  • BMW of San Jose, aka Stevenscreek BMW (www.stevenscreekbmw.com)
    • 800-298-1501x2 (asked to speak to a service advisor)
    • The first service advisor didn't have a clue what I was asking!
    • So I called back, and the second service advisor unhesitatingly said they definitely use the weights.
    • PS: It costs $250 for an alignment with weights
  • BMW of Mountainview (http://www.bmwofmountainview.com)
    • 650-200-0149x1x2 (tried to speak to a service advisor)
    • Left a message as they didn't answer the phone
    • They didn't return the call, so I called back, and pressed "4" instead of "1": 650-200-0149x4
    • Asking for a service advisor, the one I got had no clue whether they use weights or not.
    • Calling back, pressing "4" again, I found out that it was the appointment personnel whom I had been speaking with.
    • So I got a "real" service advisor, who said they "add sandbags as needed", which I'll take to indicate they add the proper weight.
    • PS: It costs $190 for an alignment, with your money refunded if you don't need it
  • BMW of Fremont (www.bmwoffremont.com)
    • 510-224-4820x1 (asked to speak to a service advisor)
    • The service advisor unhesitatingly said they use the specified weights.
    • PS: It costs $190 for an alignment, with your money refunded if you don't need it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
Please explain how a car with such amazing aerodymanics as the e39 could have such massive downforce.
That's a valid argument.

From "my" reading of this wonderfully edifying thread (and a score of others), the driving-under-downforce (DUD?) theory is pretty much deprecated. So is the carrying-rocks-and-passengers (CRAP?) theory. The only theory that seems to logically hold water is the one so eloquently explaned by RDL, which is that the whole point is to weight (almost) all BMWs similarly so that the very specific midpoint called the "Normal Loaded Position" is reached.

Don't let the word "normal" or "loaded" mean anything to you with respect to how many rocks and passengers one normally carries as a load. In fact, we should give that specific midpoint-loading position a more technical name so people don't jump to conclusions. I think I'll call it the NLP, so that the word "normal" and "loading" are removed.

The way I understand it is that, at that midpoint-loading NLP (which, for most non-M bimmers can only be achieved with weight on good springs), all the alignment specifications are valid.

At any other point than that midpoint NLP, those alignment specs are no longer valid.
Can it really be that simple?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM

I live in a little po-dunk town out in the middle of NM. Theres only one place that will touch BMW's out here and all he's got is the pads you drive onto for the front. For me, it was well worth the $149 at El Paso BMW. Theres only one shop in town with a lasar machine and he's some country hick with the attitude, "if it an'nt "Merican" its ****. I had a problem just talking him into balancing my tires. For some reason he was convinced they were differant then other....round tires.

Last edited by JasonSC540ia; 08-06-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Bluebee

I did get before and after printout. I just finished changing all bushings, balljoints and arms that morning so it was way out of wack. The 1hr drive to El Paso was "a bit" exciting. Ride home was unbelievably nice.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E-38
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsc540ia View Post
just wanted to let everyone know that bmw....yes!...the stealer, has dropped their price on 4-wheel alignments from $250 to $149. Got mine done 2 fridays ago and it drives so straight.
\

most of the time, the car will not need a wheel alignment, is a defective tire pulling to the right or left side
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
I had my 740 aligned a week ago. I had not noticed anything but my wife was commenting on some "wooble" in the steering at all speeds and all conditions. (I typically drive the 325i so little exposure except trips in the 740.) Cost me $69 (had a $20 off coupon) and they first checked wheel balance and condition, used the weighs and did a great job. It is sometimes beneficial to live where there is competition for services.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbimmer View Post
\

most of the time, the car will not need a wheel alignment, is a defective tire pulling to the right or left side
As stated, I replaced all bushings and balljoints/arms front and rear. That was the need for a 4-wheel lasar alignment. Getting a tape measure out and some chock does not cut it on these cars.