Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 AM

Mein Auto: 520i touring
Help with I drive please

Hi guys I've got a 54plate (dec04) 525d and I've seen some other same year models with an I drive system that basically puts mine to shame.
Can I upgrade the software? Is it a simple process? I have unlocked it using the guide on this site but I'm not sure what that really tells me as its all like some kind of code.

I don't have nav or any communication devices installed. So basically all I can do is see the obc, change climate from hot to cold, and cd/radio functions.
Ads by Google
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There was a hardware change from CCC to CIC. CCC is the DVD based nav. CIC is the hard drive based nav. The CIC unit is the one will all the cool bells and whistles.

You can't simply do a software upgrade. You need to retrofit CIC which is about $1000 in parts plus the coding. Dealer will not do this coding since it is not an official retrofit. You will need to find a local coder to do the necessary steps to activate the CIC in your car.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Actually for ALL the bells and whistles and good quality parts you will need to use these guys: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/
And it isn't cheap, full kit out that is completely plug and play is about $3500US, and it is DEFINITELY on my "to do" list. I can't think of too many other mods that would have such an amazing effect on my enjoyment of the car.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 AM

Help with I drive please

So is there anything that I can do within the unlocked menu or is that for reference purposes only?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Actually for ALL the bells and whistles and good quality parts you will need to use these guys: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/
And it isn't cheap, full kit out that is completely plug and play is about $3500US, and it is DEFINITELY on my "to do" list. I can't think of too many other mods that would have such an amazing effect on my enjoyment of the car.
Look into CarPCs. I have one in my car and can do MUCH more than any oem system can. I currently have GPS nav and tracking, Bluetooth, Dash cam with GPS overlays, INPA for diagnostics as well as live OBDII readouts, internet (tethered to my iPhone), and a few other things.

I'm working on integrating CANBUS control. It's a slow process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520itouring View Post
So is there anything that I can do within the unlocked menu or is that for reference purposes only?

It's just for reference. There aren't any usable settings to change in there.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Help with I drive please

Wow how much has that set you back?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 AM

I already had a spare laptop to use. But as far as accessories go, I've spent about $200 on parts. $150 on software. And uncountable hours tweaking this thing. It's a pain but well worth it.

I have a touchscreen setup in my dash so navigating through the front end software is easy and doable while driving. Icons are large so they are easy to read/select.

Dashcam is one of the nicer features though. I'm using a normal HD webcam and I got to shoot full HD. There is an app called minicam that allows me to overlay GPS info on the video as well as control file size and the duration to keep the videos. I also have an option to archive them. I have about 60GB reserved on my laptop for the dash cam.

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-18-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Look into CarPCs. I have one in my car and can do MUCH more than any oem system can. I currently have GPS nav and tracking, Bluetooth, Dash cam with GPS overlays, INPA for diagnostics as well as live OBDII readouts, internet (tethered to my iPhone), and a few other things.
Pics or it isn't real.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Haha I will upload one after work. The bezel I made is still in works and I'm a bit embarrassed to show it but it's not done yet! haha

Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Pics!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag_530i View Post
Pics or it isn't real.
Sorry forgot to post pictures. I've been busy wrapping a K1200 the past few days. Have a Ducati Monster S4 to do tomorrow. Don't mind the streaking on the bike. It's an application of rubber/vinyl UV protectant, 303 aerospace, drying.

Just a few quick shots of the touchscreen, dash cam mounting, and the dash cam video. You can see the GPS overlays, longitude/latitude, altitude, speed, time/date, and direction. Laptop is mounted in the trunk. I used a docking station to make removal very easy. I made a relay circuit with 2 relays and a diode to trigger the computer to resume from hibernation when unlocking the car. I also wrote a script to turn the computer off when the laptop has power cut, which is when the car goes to sleep. The laptop charger is triggered by the MOST loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	387680   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	387681   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	387682   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	387683  

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Sorry forgot to post pictures. I've been busy wrapping a K1200 the past few days. Have a Ducati Monster S4 to do tomorrow. Don't mind the streaking on the bike. It's an application of rubber/vinyl UV protectant, 303 aerospace, drying.

Just a few quick shots of the touchscreen, dash cam mounting, and the dash cam video. You can see the GPS overlays, longitude/latitude, altitude, speed, time/date, and direction. Laptop is mounted in the trunk. I used a docking station to make removal very easy. I made a relay circuit with 2 relays and a diode to trigger the computer to resume from hibernation when unlocking the car. I also wrote a script to turn the computer off when the laptop has power cut, which is when the car goes to sleep. The laptop charger is triggered by the MOST loop.
I love the setup, it's still pretty clean even for not being fully finished. Is the camera you're using something you can replace with any model you like, as long as it has a specific video output?

Does your laptop use an SSD? Is it a laptop or a netbook? Do you have a write-up for this project at all?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just curious.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada_express View Post
I love the setup, it's still pretty clean even for not being fully finished. Is the camera you're using something you can replace with any model you like, as long as it has a specific video output?

Does your laptop use an SSD? Is it a laptop or a netbook? Do you have a write-up for this project at all?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just curious.
Thanks!

The camera is just a webcam. You can use anyone. I'm using this one because it was the best quality in terms of picture and build.

I'm using an old HP laptop, core 2 duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB 7200rpm drive. I do plan on doing a solid state drive upgrade soon though. My hard drive has been ok for the past year though. The only issue I have now is heat, now that we see hot temps everyday in the summer. My laptop gets hot in the trunk but does not slow down or anything. I'm just concerned with long term durability. I'll have to do something about the cooling.

I don't have a write up really. It's all just stuff I picked up over the years working on cars and computers. Check out mp3car.com for more info.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Help with I drive please

So can I add an aux input for the stereo?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I believe you can buy a harness and install it at the back of the HU. You then need to code the radio module and activate it.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:

Quote:
I believe you can buy a harness and install it at the back of the HU. You then need to code the radio module and activate it.
Yes and yes

There are some youtube videos on how to do the install. It would still have to be coded (programmed basically) to work though