Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
One of mine just had to be replaced today. Supposedly, it was an index 11, "which are the good ones"

Prior to that, 4 of my other injectors were replaced. They were index 9.

This is not fuel, hot engines or idling too long. This happened in an engine that was just warming up, with a full tank of fuel. The other time was when the car was warm, but temp gauge was normal. Both happened when pulling into traffic. I use a brand on the top tier list and ALWAYS premium, so that is not an issue. Supposedly, this time the injector was not opening at all, but I am not sure I would be getting the same roughness on a no fire due to lack of fuel as a too much fuel misfire.

This car has less than 12k miles on it and only 1.5k since the last time in October.

If I keep having problems, BMW will lose me and my wife as a customer. We can go with another car very easily. In this day and age, it is not unreasonable to expect a problem free car for 100k PLUS miles. Burning oil, failed injectors, and other problems we are facing with these cars...especially ones with several years of production already...is just not something we should have to live with. If THIS is the vaunted German Engineering...I will go back to American or Japanese cars
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Rodeobanker
Mein Auto: 2011 550i m sport
Received car today

Picked up my vehicle today.

Car feels much smoother and now idles at 750 RPM (it has been idling at 500 ever since I purchased it a month ago).

Turns out the dealership replaced the injectors but did not replace the plugs... uh... duh? This seemed to do the trick. The plugs must have been bad from all the fuel soaking. The SA was confused why the tech didn't replace them the first time. Anyways, the car does not vibrate currently, and the idle seems more stable at 750 RPM.

Hope this issue does not return!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Any updates anyone?

Unfortunately, I'm having very similar symptoms to what's stated in this thread after having all eight fuel injectors and spark plugs replaced.

These cars are a mess. Not happy. :|

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Carbon build up. Have your intake cleaned.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Rodeobanker,

When you say your car is now idling at 750rpm, are you referring to the condition where you are stopped but in gear (D) and AC is off? Or is it the idle in park (P)? If it is the idle in drive but stopped, what is the rpm in "P"?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
Have you asked to have your intake cleaned? The "drivetrain malfunction" message appeared as soon as our 2010 550i GT lost power, shuttered if we touched the throttle, and shook constantly. We changed numerous ignition related parts to no avail. Our dealer was perplexed. They finally recommended having our intake cleaned. The intake cleaning was $250. We had carbon build up, and the intake cleaning solved our problem. Our dealer said that intake cleaning is recommended maintenance. Our direct injection engines suffer from carbon build up.

If you feel like they are scratching their heads, and they are just throwing parts at the problem then it would be worth asking them to clean your intake. A huge benefit from the cleaning was the amount of power our engine regained from the service. My wife even noticed how much stronger our GT felt..
What did the $250 service involve to clean the carbon build up?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I did not watch the process, but I was told that they sprayed a solution into the air intake which grabs the carbon build up , pulls it into the combustion chamber, and then out the tail pipes. That is what they said. Our GT was noticeably stronger, and our hesitation problem was a distant bad memory shortly there after.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to cdp1276
Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FAN View Post
Same thing happened to me at 35K miles. I had my 2012 550 in the shop twice before the injectors were replaced. Apparently BMW only replaced 2. The SA informed me that one of the plugs was fouled and distributing too much fuel which caused the drive-train malfunction to occur. Prior to that the car would run rough at idle. It took several discussions and emails to convince them of the issue. Watch out!
I had the same issues with my 335 and they multiple times replaced injectors and all plugs.

Previous:
2010 335i xDrive Sedan E90 (M-Sport)
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbueno View Post
It doesn't take long but can be pricey if you are out of warranty. I had all 8 replaced on my 2012 550xi and was curious about the total cost sans warranty. They told me about $3,000 for the whole thing. I had a lengthy discussion with an engineer and he said it was the gas I was using. He said the ethanol content in the US was the issue, even if you are using premium gas (I use 93 octane). I primarily went to a Sunoco which was just down the street, but they are not on the top tier gas list so now I drive a bit more to go to Exxon. Here is the gas list the engineer recommended I use:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

So far so good, it's been about 5,000 miles and I haven't had another issue. Good luck.
Seriously, BMW is the only car company on the planet that didn't get word that virtually all gas in the U.S. has ethanol? BTW, Top Tier is not the end all to making sure you get good gas.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale

Last edited by jjsC6; 02-23-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Seems this is a 550 only issue? Any 535i's report injector issues?
YUP - all 6 replaced, similar issues

2011 535i
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Seriously, BMW is the only car company on the planet that didn't get word that virtually all gas in the U.S. has ethanol? BTW, Top Tier is not the end all to making sure you get good gas.
Seriously; beyond ridiculous.

Car calls for premium; we put in premium; what else are we to do!?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i 2012
You guys are getting too emotional. These injectors are new design and are built by a different company for BMW. BMW has nothing to do with the fact that some injectors are failing. They are however doing their part and replacing the injectors that failed. This is a problem on the V8's. It is not big enough to make a recall, which means only SOME are affected.

On forums people usually post all the bad things. You probably think you've seen 5000 threads about failed injectors, when in reality you've probably seen just a few. Think about it, do you think some random guy who has a 2011 550i is just gonna go on this forum and make a thread stating how well his fuel injectors work?

Damn people do nothing but complain these days over the smallest ish.

It's also the fuel. You guys do not realize how horrible the fuel quality, like everything else in the US, is. In Europe they don't have 87 or 89. In Germany shell v power is 100.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
The 750 owners have been having the same issues as you guys and the reasons for it have been mentioned in this thread:

The E65/66 have the same V8 and 6spd trans you guys have (f01/f02), but the new V8 is turbo'ed.

You are going to have carbon build up problems, you will have secondary air problems, you will have your valve stem seals needing replacement, the trans will barely go over 70K in my opinion, and you have a host of other issues I haven't mentioned. The reason? BMW took an engine that THEY DESIGNED TO LAST 100k and put 2 turbo's on it. They didn't lower the oil change intervals, they didn't do squat.

If you want your F01/02 to last a long time do this:

1. Oil changes every 5K miles, your cars have turbos. Oil cakes up on turbos and can misbalance them leading them to shatter inside your engine thus ruining your engine. Plus you will kill the valve stem seals too.

2. Use good fuel, 91+ only. Use a fuel system cleaner every 5 tanks of gas. This will help keep everything clean to an extent. I recommend Techron or Redline SI-1, best bang for the buck.

3. Use Seafoam or BG44K through some Vac. lines on the engine every 10-15K miles. You guys will have carbon buildup thanks to all the EPA systems on the car to ensure low emmissions. Direct Injection is a contributor to the problem but BMW's crappy design makes it more apparent.

4. Push your car hard every so often, believe it or not pushing your car to redline at least once a month is recommended. It used to be called an Italian tune-up since it allows the engine to blow a lot of the caked up carbon and crud out.

5. Change the trans fluid every 50K, minimum. Use Redline D4/racing Mix or use Castrol Multi-Import or use the BMW stuff, either way it's needed. (If indeed it's the exact same trans, it'll need a new bridge seal and sleeve seal too; get those done along with a new pan (pans are plastic and the filter is built in)

6. Look into a lower temp thermostat. E65/66's run at 105C which kills seals esp in the cooling system. After using a 90C thermostat there have been a ton of improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile View Post
I have read about misting water into the intake as an inexpensive but effective way of decarbonizing a DI engine. They say to mist a few quarts down the throttle body while the engine is running and feathering the throttle to keep it going. Has anyone tried this?
I hate to break it to you but that it beyond a safe idea. Water does not compress and causes metal to rust! Do you really want to put that through your intake, then your turbocharger and then your engine? I don't think that'll end well.

If you want to do something similar, use seafoam or BG44K (both are great de-carbonizers) through the vacuum intake line little by little works. Seafoam comes in a deep creep can which works equally well, just squirt a few sprays over the whole bottle with the car running. Don't feed it to much to bog down the engine! This is safe since these are petroleum based so they burn!

That method along with some brushes is how the 745 owners of the E65/66 are cleaning out their engines to get rid of check engine lights so they pass inspections for emissions!

Video on a WRX:

The white smoke is the seafoam soaking into the carbon and burning off. The sip-sip method as shown in the video feeds the seafoam through the air intake chambers so it sprays lightly onto the valves to help clean everything. Don't put too much in!!!!!
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige

Last edited by csmeance; 03-14-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix
..fuel injector redesign..

had my injectors replaced on my f10.. always used 93 octane.. it is NOT dirty fuel.. jeesh..apparently BMW redesigned the fuel injectors.. as I understand it BMW determined the f10 fuel injectors leaked on v8s causing misfirings.. so they redesigned them..

Last edited by radamchak; 04-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbueno View Post
It doesn't take long but can be pricey if you are out of warranty. I had all 8 replaced on my 2012 550xi and was curious about the total cost sans warranty. They told me about $3,000 for the whole thing. I had a lengthy discussion with an engineer and he said it was the gas I was using. He said the ethanol content in the US was the issue, even if you are using premium gas (I use 93 octane). I primarily went to a Sunoco which was just down the street, but they are not on the top tier gas list so now I drive a bit more to go to Exxon. Here is the gas list the engineer recommended I use:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

So far so good, it's been about 5,000 miles and I haven't had another issue. Good luck.
I used to live near a Siemens fuel injector factory in Virginia. A college classmate of mine was a test engineer there. He was adamant that you should stay away from generic gasoline, and that was before the advent of the new piezoelectric injectors which are more susceptible to clogging (but also give better performance and efficiency).

The early E46 M3's had trouble with start-up on less volatile summer gas. The cars would start up fine in the winter, but would stumble when the weather got warmer. It took them a while to figure this out, and they did a software upgrade that really dumped in the fuel during cold start up.