Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: mustang
about to buy first m5

Hey guys im new to this fourm so im not sure if this is the right place to post this but there is a 2006 BMW m5 for sale near me for $24,500 with 85K miles on her. Is that a good deal and if i do follow through with buying this car i have heard nothing but bad reviews about the SMG gearbox. would there be a way to swap in a 6 speed into it? if so i would appreciate if some one could point me the right direction with parts, prices, or somewhere that sells kits to do so. also are these cars safe and reliable?
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: M5
I would need extensive service history on this car before I bought it. With 85K, I think you are right around the area where the nightmares can start. This car is very expensive to fix, period. The SMG is also very expensive to fix. As far as swapping it out for a 6spd manual, I will stick my neck out and say that that's next to impossible unless you own a BMW dealership. The M5 is all electronic, engine, SMG, rear end, Idrive, the whole car is tied together. Its not like a 69' Camaro where you are going to bolt on a blower and pick up 100HP. As far as reliablility goes, thats a tough question. You have to remember this car comes with a hand built 8200RPM V10. With the speed limiter removed, it's a 200mph car. If you are looking for reliability, in my opinion don't buy it. It's a very sophisticated car and hence can have issues. If you are getting a solid car that hasn't been abused for 24K its a good deal. If your getting something that's been beat on by some kid for 85K you are probably buying a headache. My advice to you is don't get into a car like this unless you know all the pitfalls. My M5 stickered in 2006 for 96K so keep in mind you are looking at at 100K car when new. If you can afford a 100K car, BMW figures you have plenty of money to fix it. Good Luck!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Something Original Here

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
That's a $20K car at best. I bought mine with 92K miles for 19,500, and it was a 1 owner clean carfax car with receipts for everything ever done, last thing being the 90K service.

I would NOT buy an M5 unless it was a one owner, preferably private sale. I bought mine from a 60+ year old guy who bought a 2013. He's had it for 7 years and babied it.

Like the guy above said, any repairs will be expensive, and you can go ahead and scrap the idea of a manual swap, either keep looking for a 6spd if you REALLY want one or settle for the herky-jerkiness of an SMG (I did the latter). My car's been great for almost 5K miles, but I knew this car did NOT have a rep for quality when I bought it.

Keep in mind, in 5K miles you have a major service coming up.

In the end, a car is worth what one is willing to pay for it. If this is a 1 owner car with records and you have at least $5000 on standby to pay for the 90K service and anything that MAY also arise, I say go for it, it's an awesome car. If not, keep looking and saving up, the longer you save up and look, the better car you can get.

2006 M5 Blacked out, AvantGrade 20s, Meistershaft exhaust, RPI scoops - DD
1998 328i Vert - Sold
2001 530i ZSP/ZPP - Sold
1987 325i Vert - Sold

Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
I purchased my 08 m5 for $28k it has 80k miles, I did my research, Carfax and went to a BMW dealer to look at the previous history and a diagnostic which cost me $160.00. Car was very well maintained, and in great condition, so I took the leap of faith. I am very happy with my purchase, very hard to find a vehicle with the same type of performance for the price. Now I have extra $$$ to play with. DEFINITELY BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY for the vehicle if it's not a CPO!!!