Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 4.8IS noisy at cold start and odd part in filter

Hi Everyone, i am first time BMW buyer, i purchased a 2004 X5 1 year ago , 4.8IS Luv the car but have been getting a ticking noise when cold for first 5 minutes, Booked car in for service and when i picked it up they showed me a part that looks to have come from inside the motor and lodged in the oil filter, best part is no one know what the part is or what is does, I now am reluctant to drive car in fear it may do damage until i know what it is . can any help in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010054.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	424866  
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5
i'm no expert on this motor, but that part was already in there! It's too big to go through the lines. It looks like a valve or a part from the oil filter housing. Also if your mechanic doesn't know what that is and where it came from, why are you using him???????
Old 04-27-2014, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i Sports
X5 4.8is noisy at cold start and odd part in filter

The odd part in the top of the oil filter has in fact dropped out from the sump. It is part of the valve that prevents all the oil from draining from the top of the engine to the sump when the motor isn't running. This valve is usually part of the oil filter in most cars. Because there is no oil throughout the motor when you start it, this would account for the noise on start up, until the oil circulates.

Several parts, including a spring dropped into my filter and I was quoted an arm and a leg to replace it. You can actually look up from the oil filter and see the valve. Some of yours may still be laying in your sump. The sump will have to be removed, if you wish to replace it. which in itself is a time consuming job. I never proceeded with this as I was quoted at least $4000.00 here in Australia.

I ended up putting a good quality oil supplement which coats the engine parts to eliminate wear and noise and have had no further problems. Mine never got to the stage of being noisy on startup though.

Sorry for the bad news, but at least you now know what the problem is.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
what supplement

what supplement did u put in your engine to elimanate the part
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
hello i was wondering what supplement u put in and can i put it in my e53 i have a 3.0

Last edited by tony t; 05-02-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: already asked the question
Old 05-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i Sports
Thumbs up X5 4.8IS noisy at cold start and odd part in filter

The additive I used was Nulon E30 Long Term Oil Treatment 5oomls. It helps to protect all friction surfaces against metal to metal contact in new or old engines. There is long term protection against damaging effects of cold startups, and reduces the wear during high stress and high temperature operations. It's good for aluminium or iron blocks, and only needs replacing every 80000 kms, which means it is not replaced every oil change as it coats all internal surfaces.
Google it and see what you think. There are also other good additives on the market. I also used it on my Ford and it has now done over 200,000 kms and still runs like new. No tappet noise at all. The engine must be run in first otherwise the piston rings wont wear or bed in.