Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: e90
Exhaust smell inside car! What is this part? A lot of soot!

I have troubles with exhaust smell in my car when it's idling. Exhaust pipe troubles? Recently changed the turbo.

I took of the cover in my engine and instantly found this sooted part. What is it?

Thanks.

See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0079.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	387113  
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
What year and what engine is that?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM

Sorry..

E90 320D 2006mod, M47TU2D20 engine. European car.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
According to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=11&fg=40 it's the throttle.
Don't know why it's carboned up - might expect it of the EGR (which is the s-bend aparatus going down to the EGR cooler.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
I had a similar problem with my 07 335i, the cabin would smell like exhaust. Started snooping around starting with the downpipes and found that I had a leak where the downpipes meet with the mid exhaust. You could have a leak anywhere when not moving, the smell creeps into your cabin.
Make sure you pipes are cool, and start your engine get under it and feel for any air escaping from where the pipes join. you're almost certain to find the issue.
PS. Clean that engine.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
There is some black stuff right there at the throttle body flap axis. See the stuff on the spring. I'm an ex smoker and glad i quit 25 years ago but a good use for a lit cigarette put close to suspected leak spots will possibly show leak points. I would start at that soot spot shown in the photo. I agree with Floyd. The EGR injection point is downstream of the throttle body. You may need to get a buddy to moderately increase throttle from the driver's seat while you are hunting with the cig. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by crom1 View Post
I have troubles with exhaust smell in my car when it's idling. Exhaust pipe troubles? Recently changed the turbo.

I took of the cover in my engine and instantly found this sooted part. What is it?

I have just discovered that BMW turbos, maybe others too, are operated by exhaust gas!!!!!

As you've just replaced the turbos and exhaust smell appears to be coincident, well.....mmmmm.....

Hey this is no diesel forum! Have no idea what that part is. RealOEM drawing, your model?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all your input, guys. Looking for leaks and loose clamps now!

While I'm at it, I'm gonna clean the engine as well, but I must admit that I'm a little bit nervous of pouring alot of water in there... I'm generally very strict with keeping my car clean, but not under the hood. Perhaps someone can tell me a bit about how to do it "correctly"? What to cover up? Hot water? Cold water?

PS: Mod: Please move thread to diesel forum.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Thanks for all your input, guys. Looking for leaks and loose clamps now!

While I'm at it, I'm gonna clean the engine as well, but I must admit that I'm a little bit nervous of pouring alot of water in there... I'm generally very strict with keeping my car clean, but not under the hood. Perhaps someone can tell me a bit about how to do it "correctly"? What to cover up? Hot water? Cold water?

PS: Mod: Please move thread to diesel forum.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ur-engine-bay/

Here you go. I suggest using a good degreaser and scrubbing the gunk away on everything you see with a brush before shooting the place up with water. Powerwashers work well.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Exhaust smell inside car! What is this part? A lot of soot!

There are tones of engine cleaning tutorials on YouTube, no need to run a hose under the hood scub brushes and degreasers will do just fine with some finesse.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
That much oily soot on it would indicate that the throttle shaft is leaking, since it is a turbo, there is a fair bit of pressure there, so it doesn't take much if it is not sealed. The concerning part is he amount of oily residue as that came from inside the intake, meaning a lot of oil in the intake and the only place that can come from would be the turbo seals leaking. If this was like this before you replaced the turbo it would make sense if the old turbo was leaking oil, then you may just need to fix the seal issue on the throttle shaft, unfortunately it doesn't appear you can buy anything but the complete assembly for 400 bucks.

Guessing the exhaust smell is more likely a leak either at the manifold or downpipe and that will smell up the car.

Rob

Last edited by roadkillrob; 07-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
I bet your EGR cooler is cracked and leaking soot and exhaust gases. Do a search for "EGR cooler cracked" or similar.

Pretty common problem with the BMW diesels
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
I bet your EGR cooler is cracked and leaking soot and exhaust gases. Do a search for "EGR cooler cracked" or similar.

Pretty common problem with the BMW diesels
You didn't look closely enough at the pic. The EGR cooler and line is pristine, and the soot is clearly on the throttle assembly.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
You didn't look closely enough at the pic. The EGR cooler and line is pristine, and the soot is clearly on the throttle assembly.
I agree with you.

Can anyone shed some light on what the "throttle" really does here? I have searched around the web a bit and haven't seen anyone mention having problems with residue on this part. I think also the part is located at a different place in the compartment as i can't localise it on all the pictures I've seen.

roadkillrob: your thoughts regarding the turbo makes sense. I have now a completely new turbo installed and i will try to clean the throttle shaft up as much as possible and re-check for residue after some miles.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Quote:
I agree with you.

Can anyone shed some light on what the "throttle" really does here? I have searched around the web a bit and haven't seen anyone mention having problems with residue on this part. I think also the part is located at a different place in the compartment as i can't localise it on all the pictures I've seen...
I think the "throttle" is an anti-shudder valve. These are used to shut the engine down smoothly by cutting off air immediately on shutdown.

Oil could be from the turbo or from PCV system.

I'd remove the intercooler inlet and outlet hoses and check for oil collecting there.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
I think the "throttle" is an anti-shudder valve. These are used to shut the engine down smoothly by cutting off air immediately on shutdown.
Also seems to be related to apportioning air mixture EGR versus "clean" air.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
That much oily soot on it would indicate that the throttle shaft is leaking, since it is a turbo, there is a fair bit of pressure there, so it doesn't take much if it is not sealed. The concerning part is he amount of oily residue as that came from inside the intake, meaning a lot of oil in the intake and the only place that can come from would be the turbo seals leaking. If this was like this before you replaced the turbo it would make sense if the old turbo was leaking oil, then you may just need to fix the seal issue on the throttle shaft, unfortunately it doesn't appear you can buy anything but the complete assembly for 400 bucks.
or the other, more obvious and common place for oil to come from, the PCV
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Also seems to be related to apportioning air mixture EGR versus "clean" air.
I was wondering about that, but the EGR inlet appears to be downstream of the valve- so I don't think that's the case.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I was wondering about that, but the EGR inlet appears to be downstream of the valve- so I don't think that's the case.
if that throttle valve closes, the engine should pull more recirculated air when the EGR is opened, so it could possibly be used for that effect. Anyone with a Bavtech tool should be able to check into that. Mine wont be up and running until tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I have just discovered that BMW turbos, maybe others too, are operated by exhaust gas!!!!!

As you've just replaced the turbos and exhaust smell appears to be coincident, well.....mmmmm.....

Hey this is no diesel forum! Have no idea what that part is. RealOEM drawing, your model?

lol all turbos are operated by exhaust gas. Superchargers are belt driven, hence little to no lag.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
fdriller, Cal is super sarcastic but quite knowledgible on many topics. He has a "different" brand of humor [which i find to be funny]. His point is you just disturbed something and now a new problem exists. Go hunt there first. He runs a E93 N54 turbo gas burner. This thread was over in the "mainstream" 3 series section when he wrote but then it was moved over here with us where it belongs. Cal wrote a killer DIY on converting E9X over to M3 suspension (but not full 100%). He runs meth/water injection, or he once did.

Early in this thread, we didn't know the OP was running a 320D/European market.

@crom1, did the throttle assy get removed during the turbo work [EGR valve cleaning would require this]? What was wrong with prior turbo? Perhaps if it had low to no boost, the new turbo is now producing legit pressure to now blow out of that throttle shaft seal. Go get a buddy to rev the engine and put a smoke source [lit cigarette works like a champ] by the oiled up spring/shaft area. that is a quick and easy thing to do before digging down into turbo area where its so much more cramped.

my 2c
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
Cal's post was hilarious! The "maybe others too" serves as both the tell and the punch line.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM
diesel evangelist

realoem.com shows the egr valve being the part that the egr plumbing goes to. A vacuum actuator is attached to the other side away from the inlet. This controls exhaust gas into the intake:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=11&fg=40

The device with the oil is shown as a "throttle". As we all know, diesels run on max air all the time and adjusts fueling- there is no throttle to control air in normal operation. I'm pretty sure this is just to stop the engine smoothly.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
realoem.com shows the egr valve being the part that the egr plumbing goes to. A vacuum actuator is attached to the other side away from the inlet. This controls exhaust gas into the intake:

The device with the oil is shown as a "throttle". As we all know, diesels run on max air all the time and adjusts fueling- there is no throttle to control air in normal operation. I'm pretty sure this is just to stop the engine smoothly.
And prevent runaway.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:

point was that the throttle could also be used to force the engine to pull more through the EGR than it would with that throttle being fully open. If the engine is not in boost then closing down that throttle a bit would force the engine to pull from the EGR more. Not sure if/how that would work under boost though