Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
2014 328xi sport wagon vs. GT

I never thought I'd see myself write this, but after having settled on a 328 sport wagon as my likely next car I'm growing more and more curious about the 328 GT. I realize the 3GT is larger and somewhat less nimble and "planted" than the wagon. I also prefer the wagon's appearance, although the 3GT--at least in photos--looks pretty good (and infinitely better than the Aztec-like 5GT). But the packaging of the GT, particularly the significantly greater amount of rear seat leg room and loading flexibility, are extremely appealing to me. I had a 2008 535xi wagon I loved, and the 3GT feels like it might be a nice blend of that larger wagon and 3 series behavior on the road.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this subject.
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
I would still take the 3 series wagon over the 3GT based purely on looks even if the 3GT excelled in other areas.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It sounds like the 3 GT might suit what you're looking for. The 5 GT is really superb at its intended mission. Literally it is the perfect realtor's car. The 3 GT may be a somewhat more affordable perfect realtor's car. If rear passenger comfort is important to you along with cargo flexibility and you don't mind sacrificing some of the sedan/wagon driving dynamics it could be a good choice. Of course, the unknown right now is just how different its driving dynamics will be. It will probably be best with the Adaptive M Suspension included in the Dynamic Handling package. Because of its size the 5 GT really requires Active Roll Stabilization to have the traditional BMW handling feel.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solebury535xi View Post
I never thought I'd see myself write this, but after having settled on a 328 sport wagon as my likely next car I'm growing more and more curious about the 328 GT. I realize the 3GT is larger and somewhat less nimble and "planted" than the wagon. I also prefer the wagon's appearance, although the 3GT--at least in photos--looks pretty good (and infinitely better than the Aztec-like 5GT). But the packaging of the GT, particularly the significantly greater amount of rear seat leg room and loading flexibility, are extremely appealing to me. I had a 2008 535xi wagon I loved, and the 3GT feels like it might be a nice blend of that larger wagon and 3 series behavior on the road.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this subject.
I'm with you on all points, but will need to test drive the 3GT first and compare it to F31. 5GT handles _significantly_ worse than F10, and if the same happens here, neither of the advantages of GT that you listed will matter.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 535xit
Its the engine

The big difference for US availability is that with wagon you are stuck with 4-cylinder, while with GT N55 I6 is available . If I had the choice I'd go with F11 N55, but in US that's a no go. I'm hanging on to my N54 535 touring.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328I XDrive GT
Hello, I just ordered a 2014 328i xDrive GT, (sorry not familiar yet with the technical codes) it should be arriving late September 2013. I will let you know of the dynamics and other details. If someone could help me out with the codes it would be greatly appreciated, I am/will be a first time BMW owner. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Like you I also need space and cargo flexibility. I have two large Greyhounds that go everywhere with me. As a result, I've been driving SUV's or the occasional wagon. The GT looks great in my opinion and the space is exactly what I need. I have driven a 2013 Sport Wagon and liked it a lot, especially pleasantly surprised by the 4 cylinder engine's performance and smoothness.

I'll be test driving the 328 GT and will then decide. I'm looking at getting 328 Sport Line, Light, Prem and Driver Assistance Pkgs, Dynamic Handling and Nav with touchpad in Alpine White with Black leather.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
I want to hate the 3 GT like I hate the 5 GT, but I can't. There's something about the quirkiness of it that really appeals to me. I actually almost wish I'd held out for a GT over my 328 sedan. I think this stems from my love of having somewhat out of the ordinary vehicles (I bought my A3 the first year they came to the states back when a luxury hatch was a ridiculous concept, far to "euro" for americans...)

Again, as with the A3, there's something very European feeling about applying the luxury/sport leanings of a BMW to the functional body style of the hatch. I love the 3 wagon, too, but wasn't willing to pay the premium...which would have ultimately precluded at GT as well since the pricing looks to be the same.

Nonetheless, if the GT survives in the "I want my car to be as unique as I am...as long as it's a sedan that looks like everyone else's" market in the US, it will definitely be on my radar in 3 years when my lease is up...

(this in no way contributed to helping the OP make a decision...but I would probably go GT over wagon IF the handling were comparable...which I don't know the answer to)

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GTitis2013
Mein Auto: 2014 335i GT,2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
Nonetheless, if the GT survives in the "I want my car to be as unique as I am...as long as it's a sedan that looks like everyone else's" market in the US
Even if the car will be a success it will still stand out.

I'm probably somewhat biased. I obsessively researched the GT as our next family car and ordered a 335 GT for ED pick up in September.

Yet I have to admit that I don't think it was love at first sight when I saw the first spy shots of the 3GT from certain angles without cameo. It is an unusual looking car and brakes with the traditional car segmentation. But I think if you give the GT a closer look, the design will quickly grow on you. IMO it looked even MUCH better in real than in photos. It is surprisingly functional, offering plenty of rear passenger and trunk space, while keeping an elegant presence derived from its flowing "coupe-like" silhouette.

I don't dislike the smooth road feel of the F10 and F07, but I don't think you can call any of those a driver's car. I expect the 3GTs driving dynamics to fall somewhere in between F30/31 and F10/F11, which I would consider just about right for its purpose. Since I haven't driven one, this still remains a little bit of a gamble. Most reviewers attested to an enjoyable ride. I will see and post after driving it on the Autobahn ...
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstnewman67 View Post
Hello, I just ordered a 2014 328i xDrive GT, (sorry not familiar yet with the technical codes) it should be arriving late September 2013. I will let you know of the dynamics and other details. If someone could help me out with the codes it would be greatly appreciated, I am/will be a first time BMW owner. Thank you!
There are two sets of acronyms and codes. Some codes are terms used in blogs & forums. For example, OP means Original Poster. In this thread, the OP is Solebury535xi

Most of the rest of the codes are BMW ordering codes. You can find almost all of these by looking at the five "sticky" threads at the beginning of this forum. You are interested in a model year (MY) 2014 GT, which is an F34 (the F30 is the sedan; the F31 is the wagon) These F's or E's are internal BMW vehicle codes. A 2014 328i is a different car from a 2011 328i, so people find it clearer to use the internal BMW codes. The information about the options is in the second sticky, above. You can't see it; you have to down-load the pdf. (I hyphenate down load to avoid an unwanted hotlink)

So you down-load http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698219 . This is the ordering guide for the 2014 GT.

You will see on the down-loaded pdf that ZDH is BMW's ordering code for the dynamic handling package. Forum members might simply use the term ZDH for this quite useful option. But they might also call it DHP (dynamic handling package).

You will see after reading the ordering guide pages, that things starting with Z refer to some categories, like the line (luxury, sport). Paint schemes usually start with A or B or are a 3 digit number. It won't take long before you have all that figured out.

Acme

Last edited by acme; 08-07-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: clarity is good
Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
I drove a 328xi GT this afternoon and liked it a lot better than I thought I would. Although the demo car had a standard suspension and I'd order DHP, trying to get a baseline feel for the GT relative to a 328xi wagon I felt perhaps a bit more body lean in curves but the difference was less than I thought it would be--at least as far as my memory serves me. The steering felt quite accurate to me--the car definitely goes where you point it in a way any BMW driver comes to expect. I also liked its looks a LOT better than I expected I would. Commentary about the car looking better in real life than in photos is absolutely true, in my opinion. It has a presence that few cars in its price range do. As expected, the interior space is impressive, and one gives up nothing in the rear seat relative to front seat comfort.

So now I have to decide between the GT and a wagon. There's a sense of immediacy because I want to take delivery by mid October to get the Ultimate Drive discount and avoid a final payment on my current lease. Has anyone else here actually driven the car? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbmws View Post
I drove a 328xi GT this afternoon and liked it a lot better than I thought I would. Although the demo car had a standard suspension and I'd order DHP, trying to get a baseline feel for the GT relative to a 328xi wagon I felt perhaps a bit more body lean in curves but the difference was less than I thought it would be--at least as far as my memory serves me. The steering felt quite accurate to me--the car definitely goes where you point it in a way any BMW driver comes to expect. I also liked its looks a LOT better than I expected I would. Commentary about the car looking better in real life than in photos is absolutely true, in my opinion. It has a presence that few cars in its price range do. As expected, the interior space is impressive, and one gives up nothing in the rear seat relative to front seat comfort.

So now I have to decide between the GT and a wagon. There's a sense of immediacy because I want to take delivery by mid October to get the Ultimate Drive discount and avoid a final payment on my current lease. Has anyone else here actually driven the car? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
One of the reviews I read was that due to the steeply sloping rear hatch of the GT the usable size and space of the cargo area is limited. Did you notice this as well? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM

I didn't measure, but if carrying big rectangular boxy items is important the wagon will be better. But because the GT's load floor is longer, especially with the rear seats folded down, there's substantial length available before the sloping roof impedes on the height, and I think the GT will work fine for me.

I went back to the dealer with my partner for a second test drive, this time in a sport line model versus the previous luxury line. He loved the car and I am probably placing an order for one tomorrow. A couple of things stood out in this second drive: the four cylinder engine, soundtrack aside, is a delight. Coming from a 335xi sedan I can't imagine paying the premium and adding weight for that engine again. Second, while perhaps not up to the level of my 2011 328, the handling of the new GT, especially with DHP, will be a delight.

Last edited by fourbmws; 08-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
There's not a big difference in weight so the straight-line and twisty-turny performance should be comparable / similar; biggest difference may be due to the GT's height.

And if you like to be pinned back into the seat from every stop like I do being able to get the turbo-6 in the GT can't be beat. Why it's almost like BMW knew they needed to make that impossible with the wagon to ensure those GT sales. No, they wouldn't do that knowingly would they ... ? [tongue firmly placed in cheek]

But I can't seem to get past the difference in price and these two comparisons of the rear ... Dang that GT is big & high, and the wagon is just so much more sexy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3GT2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	391801   Click image for larger version

Name:	3GT1.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	391802  

Last edited by m8o; 08-15-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
its ugly. i think for me, thats a big issue.

theres other cuv / wagon alternatives out there so why go with something that you'd hate the look of. i guess if you like the look then thats great. honestly if i were looking at a GT, i guess i'd look into the X3 or the a4 allroad etc at that point. they are also very good cars.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM

If you haven't seen one in real life don't be so quick to judge the GT's looks. I'm a former architect with a pretty good eye and I was very surprised by how much I liked it on the dealer's lot. Photos do not do it justice. In the end however, there's no accounting for taste. To each his own. After being convinced enough by what I'd seen in print that I was 90% sure I wanted a wagon I was ready to order one without driving a GT because of time concerns. But after seeing and driving two GTs today I'm placing an order for one tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I would take a 335 wagon over a GT all day long. But 328 wagon vs. 335 GT? Tough call.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d F31
I wonder if or how many former Saab owners from the 99, 900, 9000 and 9-3 era will be drawn in by the form of the GT. fourbmws comment reminded how many architects I know who wax nostalgic about those Saab's of yore. Surely, it's no doppelgänger - but I could see it having a similar presence to the 9000.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GTitis2013
Mein Auto: 2014 335i GT,2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
its ugly. i think for me, thats a big issue.

theres other cuv / wagon alternatives out there so why go with something that you'd hate the look of. i guess if you like the look then thats great. honestly if i were looking at a GT, i guess i'd look into the X3 or the a4 allroad etc at that point. they are also very good cars.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

However, the issue is that there are still a few out there who will readily jump on the GT haters bandwagon, because that was the popular thing to do when the 5GT came out.

The 5GT breaks with traditional BMW design and its shape isn't that easy to appreciate, particularly from a back/side angle and more so on pictures. The car is build on the 7 series platform and is therefore relatively heavy and most enthusiasts never warmed up to its concept. I personally don't think that the car is ugly in real life. And I would bet that anybody who likes cars and had the chance of driving it through Europe for a couple of weeks, using it for its intended purpose of 'grand touring', would come home NOT hating it.

Now the 3GT is a different story. It's surprisingly spacious, particularly if you care about rear cabin space, while looking quite sharp and elegant in sheet metal. Through its 3 series genes it should keep some of the 3s driving dynamics and compare favorably to larger cars that offer similar space (or SUVs for that matter). The 3GT needs large wheels IMO to esthetically match the higher stance. Before jumping to conclusions, measure it against what it promises to deliver and see it in real and then you may want to form your OWN opinion.

I'll shut up now and look forward to testing my 335GT's left lane capabilities in Germany next month.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
Interesting comment hansluc re the Saabs and architects. The architectural profession is not known for producing great wealth for its practitioners, and my experience is that architects' car choices probably don't always reflect their true taste. That said, to my eye the 3 GT is much more elegant and has a lot more road presence than any of the cars you mention. It's all subjective, of course, and I'm looking forward to living with my choice.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31 328D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solebury535xi View Post
Interesting comment hansluc re the Saabs and architects. The architectural profession is not known for producing great wealth for its practitioners, and my experience is that architects' car choices probably don't always reflect their true taste. That said, to my eye the 3 GT is much more elegant and has a lot more road presence than any of the cars you mention. It's all subjective, of course, and I'm looking forward to living with my choice.
I am an architect and I am getting the wagon. My wife, also an architect, professes love for the old Saabs but has none for the GT. As you said, totally subjective.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmccleod View Post
I am an architect and I am getting the wagon. My wife, also an architect, professes love for the old Saabs but has none for the GT. As you said, totally subjective.
I was once hopelessly devoted to my Saab and Saabs in general. I think that is what has me curious about the GT, that and the 5er-like rear cabin legroom. My instinct is that the GT's ride height will push me toward the wagon. Those pictures posted earlier in the thread showing the difference are compelling. I promise to see one in person and drive one before passing judgment.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I have always loved the utility of hatches and owned a 550i GT w/sport suspension for a year and 20K miles. Mountain switchbacks - no problem, high speed cruising in total safety - check, meet clients - in gracious comfort, haul the dogs and take the trash to the dump - yep - really quite versatile. The car constantly engendered thumbs up where ever it went. The versatility of a GT and the genes of the F30 should make the 3 GT a compelling vehicle especially in 335i form. Bet the car has serious road presence.

Last edited by Capobranco; 08-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I would take a 335 wagon over a GT all day long. But 328 wagon vs. 335 GT? Tough call.
This is an interesting thread. I'm 100% with you: my choice to replace the E61 I'm driving, would be F11. But that's not offered in US . So choices are 335 GT to keep inline 6, or 328 wagon because its a wagon . Both are a compromise.

Because of the sloping hatch back design the loss of usable trunk volume in GT is a real concern, so wagon wins. On the other hand N54/N55 is addictive, and its hard to imagine being satisfied by turbo 4 after driving the 6.

How bad is the loss of trunk volume in the GT? Any one moved down from N54/N55 to turbo 4?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: E46-E92 M3s,997TT,997C4S
+1. No matter how fast the 3GT is, I can't get past the looks.

The 328XiT wagon is so sexy and complete package. Plus buying a wagon or GT, it's not about speed... but the 4 banger is more powerful than many other 6 cylinders...