Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 545
Paint problem

the black paint on my '05 545 is disappearing. Just had it detailed and all that remains is the undercoat. Vertical and horozonal scratches are prominent. My hood appears to be carbon fiber. Is anyone else experiencing this? What is the remedy?
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Post a pic.

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: Looking for 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg View Post
the black paint on my '05 545 is disappearing. Just had it detailed and all that remains is the undercoat. Vertical and horozonal scratches are prominent. My hood appears to be carbon fiber. Is anyone else experiencing this? What is the remedy?
Post a pic ASAP.

Do you know if your car was ever re painted?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Not clear on your post if the detailer screwed-up or something else.

BMW paint is about 150-micron (prime, base and clear-coat), I measure this on 3 diff BMW cars; I use Defelsko basic paint gauge not the $3000 ultrasonic one so I can't say how each layer thickess is but safe to say each is about 50-micron thick

If you come in to detailer with some bad swirls, he can polish that 10-15micron off and your car will come out better than new. If he screwed up, bye-bye clear-coat and the only remedy is to re-apply the clear coat. I doubt he take out your paint cause even a novice with rotary polisher needs alot of screwingup before taking both clear and base paints.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Took the car to four body shops and all said they see this problem on black bmws. They describe it as crows feet. looks like a bird has tap danced all over the hood, roof, and trunk lid. They see this on Hondas and Mercedes, too.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Took the car to four body shops and all said they see this problem on black bmws. They describe it as crows feet. looks like a bird has tap danced all over the hood, roof, and trunk lid. They see this on Hondas and Mercedes, too.
IMHO, BMW clear coat is the same for all colors, blak, white or metali; it's the last layer of transparent paint so most likley your car just develop bad scratches/swirls over time.

If you have original paint, not painted from acident, it never too late; check this master of detaling of UK Paul Dalton at work:
http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/...d.php?t=306258
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Awesome. Is there a domestic source for this product?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Awesome. Is there a domestic source for this product?
If you car paint is as bad as that Jaguar, no single product; it's a servie call paint-correction. That guy, Paul Dalton is in UK, he spent probably the whole day polishing that Jaguar (if not more) using diff tools and polishing compounds.

No worry, I jumped right into detailling, buying polisher kit from detailersdomain.com.
It's not a straight process, there is learning curve but not rocket sciene. I reommend you talk to Phillip Yiu of detailersdomain.com, check out their videos on their webiste and decide if you want to DIY or just pay someone to do it for you.
www.detailersdomain.com
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535xi
check out Ammonyc.com and Google Drive Clean. If you're up for it you can likely repair it yourself, or at the very least you'll have a better idea of what you're dealing with and where in your area you can go to have it repaired.