Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Alpine White 545i
Computer iDrive malfunction 04 545i

Hi all. I have a 04 545i. It has been giving me trouble for the last year or so. First the battery was replaced but of course it wasn't re introduced to the car. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $1100.00 for yet another new battery and this syncing. Then the electronic iDrive decides to not activate sporadically.

When this occurs, the knob on the console spins freely and no data comes on the screen. No radio or nav as well. I have tried to pull over and stop car engine, wait, the start again, nothing. I called dealership and they won't help me unless this happens and I bring it in. The problem is that this will magically work again by the time I get there, and I have wasted my day.

BTW, I have 60,000 miles on this car.

And I'm not done with all of my problems.
I am a girl (ok, old lady, who loves her car) and I believe I have good mechanics that are ex BMW mechanics from dealership. But sometimes they can't fix this kind of thing.
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Sounds like your ccc is going bad . Here is a site that has the latest OEM retrofits I've heard and read goods things about this site check it out
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i BMW
My ccc is blank and sometimes turns on with the BMW logo, but no sound or menu screen. You can look on car-parts.org for used ccc from vehicles which were totaled for around $400 (compared to $800+ from dealer). BMW does not make new ccc units anymore, they now make cic units (better technology), so who ever you buy a new one from, it will be used. Then after you plug it in, your radio will work, but some aspects like navigation might not work properly until you go to a BMW independent shop or dealer to get radio "coded" with your cars vin number, etc. that costs around $300 at the BMW independent shop. I've read that if you buy a used radio from someone besides the BMW dealer, they will not code it for you (mad you didn't spend more money with them), but it will be more expensive with dealer anyhow. I'm doing mine total next Wednesday for $700, not the $1350 the dealer wanted.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
You can find used CCC's on eBay, or buy a re-build one (they haven't made new ones in years..). If I remember correctly a new one is about $700 (after you return your old one to them).

The other option, as already mentioned, is switching over to the new "CIC" system. It's not a retrofit BMW will do, but many have done it if you wanted to spend the money to get a nicer unit.

$1100 for changing a battery and registering it is absolutely insane, to be blunt. Battery can be had for < $200 and the registration process takes 5 minutes at most.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i BMW
Car-part.com, not .org

look under "amplifier/radio" for item, and used ccc units for around $400
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstoothck View Post
Hi all. I have a 04 545i. It has been giving me trouble for the last year or so. First the battery was replaced but of course it wasn't re introduced to the car. I took it to the dealership and they charged me $1100.00 for yet another new battery and this syncing. Then the electronic iDrive decides to not activate sporadically.

When this occurs, the knob on the console spins freely and no data comes on the screen. No radio or nav as well. I have tried to pull over and stop car engine, wait, the start again, nothing. I called dealership and they won't help me unless this happens and I bring it in. The problem is that this will magically work again by the time I get there, and I have wasted my day.

BTW, I have 60,000 miles on this car.

And I'm not done with all of my problems.
I am a girl (ok, old lady, who loves her car) and I believe I have good mechanics that are ex BMW mechanics from dealership. But sometimes they can't fix this kind of thing.
Good advise on CCC from previous posters. You may also want to check to see if your problem is power related. During under-voltage situations the ECM will begin to shutdown systems. Usually it is non-critical systems like the transmission control module, active steering system, power to windows but a wide swing in voltage might also be affecting the iDrive in your case.

I raise the issue because the iDrive problem may just be coincidental with your battery problems, but then again it may not be.

While not registering the battery, or more importantly using the same type of battery (white lead-acid vs black absorbed glass mat) as was registered to the car previously will shorten battery life, it sounds like the replacement battery didn't last even a year, which is very short, all other things being equal.

Investigation into your alternator may be wise. A failing voltage regulator (electronic circuit on the back of the alternator that properly determines the output voltage of the regulator) can be very erratic in nature, working sometimes fine for a few days and then going off into space and delivering too high or low a voltage.

When mine failed it would pump out 17V for the first 30-40 seconds and then be fine for 15-20 minutes, then sag low. Other days it would be just fine.

Investing in a plug-in voltage meter makes monitoring the voltage before starting, during the first 30 seconds after starting and all through your driving very simple.
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Bat...ette+voltmeter
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Thanks for this information. The dealership said nothing like this.
Bimmerfan, I think you might be onto something. The iDrive knob just spins instead of being engaged when this computer is working.
So, to be clear, the CCC is the screen? That can't be my problem. I do get the BMW logo with nothing else.
Thanks everyone, this is a great place.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
CCC is the item below. The screen connects directly to this..

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-21-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Funny, I was looking for them on eBay just now. I have one with out the buttons. It went for $699.00.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Chances are it is your CCC.

I just offered something that is free to check, since you mentioned the battery didn't last long. Once you remove the battery/alternator as a possibility then you can commence spendin' some real dough.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Thanks.