Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i
Question Took my car to BMW dealership and...

So today I went to BMW dealership to get a free MULTI POINT INSPECTION.

Here is what they told me I need to do after the inspection

Battery voltage is below 9.5 V but it should be 12V - for inspection - $180.00
(and by the way they said that is the reason WHY "restraints systems malfunction" screen popped up on my screen even tho it says something is wrong w airbags or seatbelt)

Drive Belt is cracked - $261.00

Coolant Flush - $195.00

Power Steering - $165.00

Oil level sensor replacement - $580.00 (which I doubt I need since I change my oil every 4,000-5,000 miles)

Fuel injection cleaning - $380

Rear brake pads - $1100 - (definitely not gonna do it there, since I can just get brake pads for way cheaper)

Is any of these REALLY IMPORTANT or they trying to get money out of me?

I will do Power steering flush and brake pads at indy shop.

Is drive belt cracked something important?

Please tell me what ya think. Thanks
2005 530i - Black/Black - mods done - K&N filter, M5 trunk spoiler, M5 Roof spoiler, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, LED Angel Eyes, Black matte front grills, 20" wheels, drilled & slotted rotors, vinly on side skirts, Black/Carbon BMW emblems in front & back, smoked side markers, smoked taillights

Advertisement
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
I would take it to the Indy shop for everything. My indy shop charged me $80 for labor to change the oil sensor. That part tends to leak a bit of oil out. Yours could be leaking. I paid $190 for Fuel System cleaning as well.
5654 E. Westover #112
Fresno, CA 93727
1-888-230-1288
Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
I would take it to the Indy shop for everything. My indy shop charged me $80 for labor to change the oil sensor. That part tends to leak a bit of oil out. Yours could be leaking. I paid $190 for Fuel System cleaning as well.
How much was the sensor itself?

They told me nothing was leaking.
2005 530i - Black/Black - mods done - K&N filter, M5 trunk spoiler, M5 Roof spoiler, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, LED Angel Eyes, Black matte front grills, 20" wheels, drilled & slotted rotors, vinly on side skirts, Black/Carbon BMW emblems in front & back, smoked side markers, smoked taillights

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
If your car was under warranty, they wouldn't have said anything was wrong. LOL. Gotta love dealers and their BS. I went to the BMW dealer last week for a windshield weather strip (replaced windshield) they quoted me 49.98 but told them I worked for ex dealer and dropped it to 29.80. Shows you how much they try and rip you a new one.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Prepare to bite the pillow if you go have that stuff done at the dealer. $380 to dump in a bottle of so-called cleaner in the gas tank? You can replace the PS fluid with a turkey baster.

Does sound like you need a new battery, drive belt and rear pads (always found it wierd on BMWs the rear pads wear so fast).

Second a good independent garage.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Rip off.

Go indy, or do what you can yourself. Those prices are insane

$261 for the belt? really?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Prepare to bite the pillow if you go have that stuff done at the dealer. $380 to dump in a bottle of so-called cleaner in the gas tank? You can replace the PS fluid with a turkey baster.

Does sound like you need a new battery, drive belt and rear pads (always found it wierd on BMWs the rear pads wear so fast).

Second a good independent garage.
Allright, thank you all for responses.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
You didn't say mileage, but on a 2005 you should change the serpentine belt, flush the coolant and replace the PS fluid. You can do all three yourself, with DIY's you can find online.

Brake pads are about 1/2 hour per wheel to do. Note that when you pull the calipers off (and if you decide to split them), make sure you use the proper lube on the caliper pins that allow the two halves to move in relation to each other. Lots of folks do a brake job and forget this, and eventually the pins will bind. Again, lots of DIY out there. Also, check the piston dust seals for cracks, as well as rust on the piston if seals are cracked.

The only one that jumps out as a real fix-it-now problem is the battery. 9v is indicating a cell failure, at least. New battery from Autozone will do the job. You can find one that is a identical match, and German mfg, except that it's a 1/2 inch shorter than OEM. I'd replace it. BMW batteries aren't needed.

Love how "lifetime fluids" aren't lifetime after the free maintenance period runs out.... On a 2005, I'd schedule a transmission fluid /filter swap (definitely have an indy do this, it's a PITA to DIY) and a differential fluid replacement (also indy, since some models don't have a drain and the old fluid has to be sucked out through the fill hole). The tranny will be at least $400, maybe $500. The part is $250 and the fluids are kind of pricey. Figure $100 for the diff fluid.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 07-22-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
You didn't say mileage, but on a 2005 you should change the serpentine belt, flush the coolant and replace the PS fluid. You can do all three yourself, with DIY's you can find online.

Brake pads are about 1/2 hour per wheel to do. Note that when you pull the calipers off (and if you decide to split them), make sure you use the proper lube on the caliper pins that allow the two halves to move in relation to each other. Lots of folks do a brake job and forget this, and eventually the pins will bind. Again, lots of DIY out there. Also, check the piston dust seals for cracks, as well as rust on the piston if seals are cracked.

The only one that jumps out as a real fix-it-now problem is the battery. 9v is indicating a cell failure, at least. New battery from Autozone will do the job. You can find one that is a identical match, and German mfg, except that it's a 1/2 inch shorter than OEM. I'd replace it. BMW batteries aren't needed.

Love how "lifetime fluids" aren't lifetime after the free maintenance period runs out.... On a 2005, I'd schedule a transmission fluid /filter swap (definitely have an indy do this, it's a PITA to DIY) and a differential fluid replacement (also indy, since some models don't have a drain and the old fluid has to be sucked out through the fill hole). The tranny will be at least $400, maybe $500. The part is $250 and the fluids are kind of pricey. Figure $100 for the diff fluid.

The thing with battery is, it is the best battery from Autozone, called Duralast Platinum. But guys at BMW dealership told me the battery needs to be installed properly with the help of PC AND STUFF. it cant be just replaced and thats it. Is that true?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player5 View Post
The thing with battery is, it is the best battery from Autozone, called Duralast Platinum. But guys at BMW dealership told me the battery needs to be installed properly with the help of PC AND STUFF. it cant be just replaced and thats it. Is that true?
Ah, dealers sure do love the "mysterious BMW" statements....

Whatever battery you use, the BMW will have to be programmed to recognize it as a new battery. This has to do with adjusting charging rates as a battery ages and (I think) for battery type. Many threads on "battery programming" on this site. Debates galore.

Dealers usually charge $50 for the job. Indies charge less. INPA and other aftermarket BMW diagnostic/programming rigs (search on this site for background) often include the battery programming selection for DIY'ers.

Any mfgr's battery can be programmed for, not just BMW batteries. I'm assuming you have a lead acid type, since that's what my 07 530 had and was replaced with. The Duralast is an AGM. Reprogramming for these is discussed in some threads, and I can't recall if it's a different programming setting. I have no experience with them, since lead acid works fine for me.

Note that a number of people have stated that they didn't bother to reprogram for a new battery and it made no difference to them. I had a new battery installed at Autozone, and later on I had my indy do the programming for it when I needed another job done on the car. A few weeks makes no difference.

Here's the text from the BMW University doc: "fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run.The battery change has to be registered in order to tell the power management system that a new battery has been fitted to the vehicle. If the battery change is not registered, the power management will not function properly, with the result that Check
Control messages may be displayed and functions limited by individual electrical consumers being switched off or having their power consumption reduced, for example."

Fulltext is at: http://prodcds.bmwuniversity.com/lib...y%20Basics.pdf That said, no one here has complained about this issue.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 07-22-2013 at 12:39 PM.