Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Happy not Hippie

Mein Auto: BMW '03 X5 Die and KOMBIS
Coolant

Hi this may seem like a silly question but where can I buy the correct coolant for my X5 in my area? I live at Nimbin Northern NSW.

I have just googled BMW dealers and there doesn't seem to be any around here. The Gold Coast looks to be the closest but I will not be able to get up there for a couple of weeks and yesterday the 'check coolant' warning came up. I drove the car today and the warning did not appear but I want to play it safe and get some.

I have been reading the forum and I see that almost everyone recommends to only use BMW branded product but can I safely top it up with another?

Thanks in advance.
Lorraine
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby6689 View Post
Hi this may seem like a silly question but where can I buy the correct coolant for my X5 in my area? I live at Nimbin Northern NSW.

I have just googled BMW dealers and there doesn't seem to be any around here. The Gold Coast looks to be the closest but I will not be able to get up there for a couple of weeks and yesterday the 'check coolant' warning came up. I drove the car today and the warning did not appear but I want to play it safe and get some.

I have been reading the forum and I see that almost everyone recommends to only use BMW branded product but can I safely top it up with another?

Thanks in advance.
Lorraine
You can add distilled water for now, later down the road it's always good to flush the cooling systems and refill with BMW coolant or Zerex G-05 (any phosphate and silicate free anti-freeze will work) 50/50 mic with distilled water; I don;t think Aussi suffers from deep freeze weather like we do here.
I think in a pinch, it's OK to mix diff anti-freeze.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
It's not suggested to mix anti freeze fluids. As HPIA4v2 suggested, simply top off with distilled water if it's the warm time of the year. Then procure BMW coolant for later top offs, flushes, etc.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Happy not Hippie

Mein Auto: BMW '03 X5 Die and KOMBIS
Thank you both very much, it is winter here but fortunately no frost yet. I will try and find a correct antifreeze today, if not will top up with distilled water.

I love this car, it must be female as it talks to me all the time with check this check that, tailgate open and parking sensors that beep, it makes me laugh. Poles apart from my kombis with only a speedo and fuel gauge and they don't talk to me.