Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: '95 525i '05 X5
Socal Transmission rebuild - transmission failsafe

I have a 2005 X5 3.0i with 150k and just got the transmission failsafe message. I read many posts and was hoping this was a battery/alternator error but when I noticed a drip of fluid coming of the transmission, I was a bit worried.

I dropped the car off at a independant BMW guy this morning and he read the codes that 2nd gear has been slipping. He said I need a new transmission . He does not work on transmissions and wants to put in a BMW transmission for $5500. Not is not in our budget.

Anybody know of a good transmission guy in the Orange County area that I call to see what they will charge for a rebuild? I can still drive the car.

Just wondering, how much have other people have paid for rebuilds?
Ads by Google
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 3.0i
Hey Aspenpup, were you able to find a transmission person and if so, how did it work out?

I've got your exact car/year/model, with 112k, and getting a little fidgidy about a somewhat tiny symptom it is showing. No oil leaks from the pan.

When cold, the tran slips before engaging. If you race the engine it will catch. Then, after once engaged, everything else feels normal relative to the gear operations.

The fluid has never been changed and I was thinking about giving that a try to start with.

But I'd like to know if you have found someone good.

Here in LA, this guy is getting very good and consistent reviews. See link. I think that I would fall back to asking him for a tran referral (assuming that he does not do transmissions). Hope this helps.

http://*******/IYxgi

Thanks,
Martin
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 3.0i
Don't know why the link does not work. Here is his contact info from the Yelp page.

Sorry

Elite Automotive
31 reviews Rating Details
Category: Auto Repair [Edit]
2101 Lincoln Blvd
Venice, CA 90291
Neighborhood: Venice
(310) 822-6565

Add Photos
Hours:
Mon-Fri 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 AM

So, what is going on? Anybody make sense of this failing only when it is 'cold'? Any guesses?

The problem is that it does not want to shift into 2nd gear. The RPM's will go high and then go into limp mode. I stop the car, wait a few seconds, restart, and everything is ok again. If the clutches were all replaced, valve body replaced, what is next?

I have seen some postings about alternator effecting a transmission but I hooked up a multimeter and see proper voltage. This is the original alternator and it does have a coat of oil on it from a leaking power steering hose clamp. Maybe this is worth a try but it really "sounds" like a mechanical problem.

I paid about $200 for the solenoid replacement and then paid $2400 for the rebuild. The guy replaced the valve body as "warranty repair" so I did not get charged for this. My guy is getting frustrated also. I am not thrilled about having to take the car down for repair.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenpup View Post
So, what is going on? Anybody make sense of this failing only when it is 'cold'? Any guesses?

The problem is that it does not want to shift into 2nd gear. The RPM's will go high and then go into limp mode. I stop the car, wait a few seconds, restart, and everything is ok again. If the clutches were all replaced, valve body replaced, what is next?

I have seen some postings about alternator effecting a transmission but I hooked up a multimeter and see proper voltage. This is the original alternator and it does have a coat of oil on it from a leaking power steering hose clamp. Maybe this is worth a try but it really "sounds" like a mechanical problem.

I paid about $200 for the solenoid replacement and then paid $2400 for the rebuild. The guy replaced the valve body as "warranty repair" so I did not get charged for this. My guy is getting frustrated also. I am not thrilled about having to take the car down for repair.
Is this ahop work on GM based transmission?
Hard to say, maybe your torque converter toasted?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:09 AM

This is a GM transmission. When my transmission guy rebuilt the clutches, he also changed the torque converter. It failed on me again yesterday after the car sat all day at work. I got the error, pulled over, turned off/on the car, and no longer got a message.