Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
What glue works well for door panels?

I need to take my door panels off again and reattach all of the plastic attachment points, the last glue I used I thought was going to work, but it didn't stand the test of time. To me it looks like the original glue used is very clear and very hard. Has anyone out there used a truly successful product for this? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Most epoxies or gorilla glue works.. It's often not the fault of the glue failing after time, but rather the poor quality of prep job was performed on the panel itself before the glue and parts were bonded.

You need to make sure to remove ALL of the previous glue before attempting to repair these fragile parts. It's just like a paint job. Quality comes through prep work.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
Most epoxies or gorilla glue works.. It's often not the fault of the glue failing after time, but rather the poor quality of prep job was performed on the panel itself before the glue and parts were bonded.

You need to make sure to remove ALL of the previous glue before attempting to repair these fragile parts. It's just like a paint job. Quality comes through prep work.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Love your pic btw.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Love your pic btw.
Thanks! You can check out my work HERE

Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I used Gorilla Glue and it has been a bit over 2 years still holding strong. Used it on the glove box as well and that too is still holding.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
If you want a permanent fix, you can do what the dealerships used to do: windshield adhesive. Get a tube of the 3M windshield adhesive, put some heat to it (not a lot, just enough to make it nice and soft), get yourself a glue dispenser from Home Desperate, and apply only a small amount. Not a lot, just a small amount. Let set overnight, and permanent fix. Heat or Cold, windows open or closed, this stuff will not come off unless you manually scrub it off.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Cool, where can I find 3M windshield adhesive?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Cool, where can I find 3M windshield adhesive?
Advanced Auto, Pep Wimps, Autodrone, etc.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
I have to glue my door panels as well and I think I will use the glue that is used to glue mirrors to walls. That black stuff is tough as nails and readily available at Home depot.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Just in case anyone is thinking of trying it, one glue I know firsthand that does NOT work is glue used with a hot glue gun. It just doesn't bond to the material well, then hardens up and comes off. I thought it would be fine, so I used it the first time around because the videos on YouTube showing how to repair E36 door panels featured a hot glue gun. A few months later everything had come apart again, which meant I had to do it all over. Second time around I used JB Weld, and that stuff is permanent. There are probably numerous glues which will work well for this task. Gorilla glue, though strong, expands as it sets, which can make it messy and poke out in places where you don't want it to.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
+1 on the gorilla glue. a little bit of that goes a long way. also, it needs to be applied to a wet surface for best results. not sure why, but i had used it one some other applications and it makes a difference on how it bonds.

the windshield adhesive also would work, as i believe it is a butyl-base material. awesome stufffs.

just make sure the parts are clean and free of debris (*no* glue works with that), and follow directions.

be patient. it will not look good if you rush it. take your time and do it well and you will be rewarded with good results.

df
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
I have always been partial to contact cement.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: e36 318i
I can vouche for Gorilla glue as well. I also lightly dampened the card and the brackets I was gluing back on.....that stuff expands pretty seriously though. My drivers side card nearly disintegrated coming off....damn window regulators.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
BMW CCA Member

Well the reason why I say windshield adhesive is because it can withstand extreme temperatures, expanding and contracting of the vinyl, and pretty much anything. It's why the dealerships used it, plus one can goes a very long way, especially if you are replacing your windshield in the near or distant future. I swear by this stuff, as the BMW techs did way back when the E36's were having these problems in the late 90s.

I used Gorilla Glue once on the door pockets on my 318i, it came right off when I forgot to roll down the windows last summer. Never used it again. But this was my experience. And yes, I let it sit overnight, weight on top of the door pockets as well.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
I prefer quick drying Gorilla Glue (doesn't expand as much). I've also used JB Weld too.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM
DailyDriver

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
What if you want to re-glue the card without removing the door? I've been considering a way to use ratcheting tie down straps to apply even pressure to a template made to match my door card glue points. Of course, I'd provide some protection for the outside of the door as well. When I searched this subject, I found several hits on carpet glue. The windshield adhesive sounds like the best bet to me from what I've found so far. Gorilla glue is great stuff, but one drop where you don't want any glue (in an enclosed area with difficult access) can ruin your day. We use it in my Radio Control Airplane hobby, but cautiously, lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Come at ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwman1 View Post
What if you want to re-glue the card without removing the door? I've been considering a way to use ratcheting tie down straps to apply even pressure to a template made to match my door card glue points. Of course, I'd provide some protection for the outside of the door as well. When I searched this subject, I found several hits on carpet glue. The windshield adhesive sounds like the best bet to me from what I've found so far. Gorilla glue is great stuff, but one drop where you don't want any glue (in an enclosed area with difficult access) can ruin your day. We use it in my Radio Control Airplane hobby, but cautiously, lol.
You dont need to remove the entire door to glue everything back together. You can pop the interior card apart and glue off the car. Once dry simply reinstall.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM
DailyDriver

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
I have had my drivers side off once. It would seem that to get a perfect alignment you'd have to do the glue work and install the card back on the door as it dried. I may have missed them, but I don't recall seeing any key or index marks to aid in aligning the pieces. For example, my pockets have separated from the part that holds the clips...Maybe I've missed something here....I had it off the replace the door check.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Come at ///M

I used the original glue residue/marks when gluing everything back together. No problems.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet
One that seems to work

I just glued my door cards with LaPage construction adhesive, the one that is 8 times stronger than the regular glue. The stuff is thick, requires a lot of force to dispense it with a caulk gun. I used clamps to keep the pieces in place and gave it 24 hours to cure. The bond is extremely strong and the stuff cures to a plastic-like consistency. Just make sure you have your brackets in their perfect place, as it would be hard to detach them. The cards were installed a few days ago and I left the all black car in the sun, to test for temperature resistance. So far the cards are firmly adhered. Hope I help someone with this 10 cents.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: two wheeler
Gorilla Glue or Rubber glue is the best method I have found when reattaching door parts. Try and get some clamps on it and let set for several hours.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 318ti
Quote:
Is that what it looks like to actually drive an E36? I wouldn't know, been garaged for 1.5 years now
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Insane in the membrane!

I ended up using some sort of epoxy. This time I really took the time to sand EVERY surface to be glue. Which was quite time consuming as a lot of it was scraping off old glue with a chisel to save time. Its been a couple months now, and I recently took off my door panels to replace a couple broken clips that I didn't have at the time I replaced the door panels, and I'm happy to say that everything is still real solidly glued.

My advice in this department (not that anyone is asking) would be:
1. Be careful when removing the two door handle screws and screw covers, it would suck ass to lose them.
2. Don't forget to remove the inside door handle trim before you start reefing on the door panel.
3. Be aware that there are wires connected to the tweeters and side view mirror adjustment on driver side door.
4. Also be aware that the door panel might get hung up on the door lock nub.
4. Remove ALL previous glue, and sand all surfaces to be glued.
5. When using epoxy, pay close attention to how much time you spend mixing it, because it has a huge affect on how quickly the epoxy sets and you need time to spread it, and there isn't an easy way back once you've started.
6. Don't take shortcuts and not replace all the broken plastic clips. This is kind of like a house of cards, if there is weakness in one spot it will cause other spots to prematurely fail, and your repair will last longest when everything is repaired, and at the same time.
7. When mounting the door panel again, it is best to begin at the top with the metal clips along the top edge of the door. Assuming you mounted the plastic piece these clips fit into in the correct position, everything else should go smoothly.
8. It will go even more smoothly if you make sure the plastic clips on either side of the one you are wanting to push in, are already partially in the metal holes on the door. Only paying attention to them one at a time, can cause the clip on either side to break because it might not be aligned to go in the hole since, there is plenty of wiggle room with these plastic clips.
9. When putting the door handle screws back in, use a magnetic screwdriver if possible, because the screw has to travel a certain distance without the guide of your finger to get to the hole, and it would suck to have the screw drop into the door panel you just spent time on snapping back to your door.
10. Enjoy the solid shut of your door, and the quieter ride of your bimmer.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Wow, I have to admit I never clicked on that link. Those are some beautiful photos, WOW. I love photography, and would love to know more about what you do for a living.