Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Noise on shutdown.

Hi all,

I've recently noticed what sounds to be a the noise of a flap or valve shutting a few seconds after the engine shuts down. Not too concerned, but it sounds like it could do with some lubrication whatever and wherever it is. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
I believe you will find that you are hearing the vent damper closing. Try shutting off your vent fan before turning the car off and see if you still hear the flapper shut.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Ah ok, I'll try that. Many thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Ok, I made sure that the vent fan was off when I turned off the ignition and there was no sound of a flap closing. Instead there was a high pitched electrical whine which went on for about five minutes. Then the clunk of a relay or solenoid closing and the whine stopped. Any idea what that's all about?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	388077  
Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
You didn't specify you Z4 model year but my 03' does make the sound you described at shutdown and its normal. But 5 mins is way too long. Should take more like 20 secs. It may seem like 5 mins....
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 AM

Sorry, It's a 2003 Z4 with 57,000 Kms (35,450 miles) on the clock. The noise was certainly there for a while. I had got out of the car and had almost walked out of the garage, came back, tried to locate the noise - car or household - then opened the hood. But as I did so it stopped. I know it wasn't the fan.
I'll see if it happens again today. Great car, but too many electronic gadgets for my liking
Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
electric cooling fan would be my guess, Normal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZSCCACalifornia/
Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokers View Post
Great car, but too many electronic gadgets for my liking
Too many electronic gadgets??? This is Fred Flintstones car compared to 99% of all the others out there.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM

I am Fred Flintstone and I stopped playing with avionics back in the early 70's. I have only just graduated from a 1971 MGB where I knew what every squeak, rattle and thump was and could and did fix it myself. Anyway, whatever it was didn't happen this morning and I know a cooling fan when I hear one. So maybe it's one of those intermittent faults, or it will never come back.

Thanks for the interest anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Actually, since you are well versed in British Electrics and you know it not a mechanical issue, you should be right at home. Probably a sticky relay. Which one? Who knows?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z4,Vehicross,VR4
I know mine does it too. It's definitely a valve closing somewhere in the engine compartment.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM

If you all think its a valve of some type, you could disconnect the electrical connector on the DISA valve, then shut down the engine and listen...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Hi Acz4,

If you find it first, let me know.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
Z4 2005 - Electricle hum after engine is off

I have had the same issue on occasion. When I turn off the engine you can hear an electrical hum sound, it is not the fan, I checked. It does not happen very often. It usually stops after awhile. One time the hum started, I went inside the house and a few minutes later came back out and it was still humming. I started up the engine and when I turned the engine off the hum was gone. I have no idea what is causing this ??
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Hi Kens,
Beats me. It hasn't happened since the one time, so hopefully that's the end of it. Does make you a bit nervous though.
Cheers
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Is it coming from the back? Both my X3 and Z4 do this and it is some kind of fuel vapor something. It reclaims the fuel or something so that it is not released into the environment, or something like that...I know it is normal just not 100% sure why :-)

Steve
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM

No, mine was coming from somewhere down in the bowels of the engine, but not since.