Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
M-sport brakes silver vs colored? There is a difference right?

Dumb question, so humor me... Just want to confirm.

There is a difference between the brakes that come on the M-sport car and the M-sport brakes that you pay the extra $650 right? Because, the M-sport car is mostly just cosmetic stuff, but the M-sport brakes are actually more grippy and dusty right?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330
I believe US M-Sport brakes are both cosmetically and performance wise different (better) than the bakes available on the non-M-Sport BMWs in the US, though they aren't colored. You can purchase M Performance brakes (Brembos) in the US which are currently available in Red, Orange, and Yellow.

If that all wasn't confusing enough, in 2014 models, colored M Sport brakes will be available, but I THINK they in the same performance category as today's M-Sport brakes and that M Performance brakes will still be a step up for those that track their cars....but I could be wrong on that.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
If I'm not mistaken I believe the 'silver', unpainted, brakes are just 'normal' rotors and the colored ones come with slotted and dimpled rotors. You really don't notice any performance differences with those two different types of rotors unless you are doing track days. Even then, you'd have to be very good (or bad, depending on technique) at braking in order to notice a difference.

No clue wrt differences in brake pad composition.

Last edited by SergioK; 07-23-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: a car
How many different brakes are there for the F30?

Regular brakes for Sport, Luxury, and base models.
Regular M Sport brakes (silver) for M Sport models (better performance and more brake dust than the regular brakes).
Upgraded M Sport brakes (red, orange, yellow and same performance and brake dust as regular M Sport brakes) available for all models 2014 onward for $650 or so?
Upgraded M Performance Brakes (better performance than all other brakes) available on all models for a couple of thousand dollars?

Is this correct?

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |

Last edited by kkapdolee; 07-23-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

So, if they are the same as the regular M-sport - the $650 you are paying is just for the colored paint on them???
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Dumb question, so humor me... Just want to confirm.

There is a difference between the brakes that come on the M-sport car and the M-sport brakes that you pay the extra $650 right? Because, the M-sport car is mostly just cosmetic stuff, but the M-sport brakes are actually more grippy and dusty right?
Not a dumb question. Rather, the materials from BMW are not clear. My understanding is that the F30/F31 has three brake options.

1. Standard or basic brakes. This comes on all trim versions. The M-Sport does not come with bigger brakes, although it does come with power side bolsters on the seats and the suspension is calibrated differently. The rest is trim.

2. $650 upgrade, that can only be added to an M-Sport trim version. The calipers are painted blue. This option sometimes shows up on the BMWUSA site, and when it does, it doesn't work. Last week, it worked on the diesel sport wagon, and then the final photo showed blue calipers. Today, it doesn't work again. I hope the new car works better than the "build your own" website.

3. $3090 upgrade that is installed at the port of entry or by your dealer. That version comes in red, yellow, and orange.

Options 2 and 3 are made by Brembo, I think.

I think the basic brakes slide on pins, as there is a piston on only one side of the caliper, but pads on both sides. So when you apply the brakes, the sliding or floating caliper has to center itself to get pressure from both sides.

Options 2 & 3 I think are fixed brakes, which means there are pistons on both sides of the calipers. The more pistons per side of the caliper the better, because the braking is more precise and more distributed along the pad.

My guess is that the differences between option 2 and 3 are the number of pistons, the diameter of the rotors, and whether the rotors are drilled or grooved.

This is the range of BMW offerings for the 328. But aftermarket Brembos are also available, but much more expensive. Option 3, I was told, is about $2300 for parts, the rest for labor to install them.

Acme

Last edited by acme; 07-23-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: grammatical
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
So, if they are the same as the regular M-sport - the $650 you are paying is just for the colored paint on them???
That's what I seem to be understanding too. Stupid for a paint job!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme View Post
Not a dumb question. Rather, the materials from BMW are not clear. My understanding is that the F30/F31 has three brake options.

1. Standard or basic brakes. This comes on all trim versions. The M-Sport does not come with bigger brakes, although it does come with power side bolsters on the seats and the suspension is calibrated differently. The rest is trim.
Here's the thing - I've looked at the brakes on my wife's 2013 328i and the brakes on my 2013 335i M-Sport...they look totally different. The brake wheel on the M-Sport looks HUGE by comparison, and the brake caliper looks different too.

Now, I'm not trying to challenge you by any means...I'm no mechanic so maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at. But to my eye, the difference between the "standard" brake on my wife's car, and the brakes on my M-Sport are more substantial that what you're suggesting. I'm also seeing quite a bit more brake dust on my wheel than what my wife sees on her wheels.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk..as you say, BMW hasn't made this easy to understand. I took some photos this weekend and will add them to this thread when I get home.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The newly available M Sport brake upgrade will be an upgraded brake system. I'm not sure if that includes upgraded rotors, but it will include upgraded calipers and pads. Currently on the M Sport line the car receives more aggressive pads, that do produce more brake dust, but no change to the standard calipers and rotors.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John View Post
Here's the thing - I've looked at the brakes on my wife's 2013 328i and the brakes on my 2013 335i M-Sport...they look totally different. The brake wheel on the M-Sport looks HUGE by comparison, and the brake caliper looks different too.

Now, I'm not trying to challenge you by any means...I'm no mechanic so maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at. But to my eye, the difference between the "standard" brake on my wife's car, and the brakes on my M-Sport are more substantial that what you're suggesting. I'm also seeing quite a bit more brake dust on my wheel than what my wife sees on her wheels.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk..as you say, BMW hasn't made this easy to understand. I took some photos this weekend and will add them to this thread when I get home.
The difference you're seeing is related to the difference in brakes on a 328 v a 335. 335 brakes have always been larger than 328 brakes.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:

I was just going to say... can you take some pics of them?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme View Post

2. $650 upgrade, that can only be added to an M-Sport trim version. The calipers are painted blue. This option sometimes shows up on the BMWUSA site, and when it does, it doesn't work. Last week, it worked on the diesel sport wagon, and then the final photo showed blue calipers. Today, it doesn't work again. I hope the new car works better than the "build your own" website.

3. $3090 upgrade that is installed at the port of entry or by your dealer. That version comes in red, yellow, and orange.

Options 2 and 3 are made by Brembo, I think.

I think the basic brakes slide on pins, as there is a piston on only one side of the caliper, but pads on both sides. So when you apply the brakes, the sliding or floating caliper has to center itself to get pressure from both sides.

Options 2 & 3 I think are fixed brakes, which means there are pistons on both sides of the calipers. The more pistons per side of the caliper the better, because the braking is more precise and more distributed along the pad.

My guess is that the differences between option 2 and 3 are the number of pistons, the diameter of the rotors, and whether the rotors are drilled or grooved.

This is the range of BMW offerings for the 328. But aftermarket Brembos are also available, but much more expensive. Option 3, I was told, is about $2300 for parts, the rest for labor to install them.

Acme
Yea, no kidding. The site is good, but it tends to be a bit flaky. And I'm not sure about some of the option combo pricing compared to what they dealer is going to tell me Thursday when they build the car on their official system.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:

the 335i has fixed, multi piston calipers (brembo-like) and larger disks vs the 328i single piston, sliding caliper. this is stock, without any upgrades.

the M Sport package for either car adds euro spec pads for the US market hence the dustier and noiser comments
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 07-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I was just going to say... can you take some pics of them?
Well, apparently there's no reason to...apparently the 328i and 335i do have different brakes (which is what I'm seeing) that has nothing to do with M-Sport specs.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
the 335i has fixed, multi piston calipers (brembo-like) and larger disks vs the 328i single piston, sliding caliper. this is stock, without any upgrades.

the M Sport package for either car adds euro spec pads for the US market hence the dustier and noiser comments
Is there a better/different brake pad that folks are moving to which maintains at or near the performance of the stock M-Sport pad, but produces less dust and noise?
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Is there a better/different brake pad that folks are moving to which maintains at or near the performance of the stock M-Sport pad, but produces less dust and noise?
And what is the cost of installation of said brake pad?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: MW/SO M3, X1 28i xDrive
Dumber question coming...what is the difference between a floating caliper and fixed? Also, I have been looking at putting on bigger 335 brakes to replace my smaller 328 brakes. Should I do that or just spring for the Mperformance brake option. Besides color, would the Mperformance be night and day better than the larger stock 335 brakes on my car?

Last edited by minn19; 07-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
And what is the cost of installation of said brake pad?
I wouldn't think much...I mean you ought to be able to go to any brake shop and get the pads swapped out while you wait. I'm sure it would be much more if you did it through the dealership.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
seems that a lot of people who want m-sport dont want the dusty pads, BMW should offer a delete option. nothing worse than having to clean your wheels every 20 miles... even if it means you can stop 10 feet shorter... seriously give me a brake
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
seems that a lot of people who want m-sport dont want the dusty pads, BMW should offer a delete option. nothing worse than having to clean your wheels every 20 miles... even if it means you can stop 10 feet shorter... seriously give me a brake
Just found this over on Tire Rack (I believe they are a sponsor here and OK to mention...) which sounds promising:

Akebono is the first brake pad manufacturer to produce a true ceramic pad for European vehicles that delivers the same European pedal feel and stopping power as the Original Equipment (OE) pads. Akebono's exclusive clean wheel formulations help to eliminate the heavy brake dust issues normally associated with the OE pads, too, and a definitive control of noise, vibration and harshness is felt.

One hundred percent asbestos-free, the pads' Advanced Ceramic Technology helps to extend rotor life resulting in fewer rotor replacements (and additional dollars saved).

Akebono Euro pads are approved for use by Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Just found this over on Tire Rack (I believe they are a sponsor here and OK to mention...) which sounds promising:

Akebono is the first brake pad manufacturer to produce a true ceramic pad for European vehicles that delivers the same European pedal feel and stopping power as the Original Equipment (OE) pads. Akebono's exclusive clean wheel formulations help to eliminate the heavy brake dust issues normally associated with the OE pads, too, and a definitive control of noise, vibration and harshness is felt.

One hundred percent asbestos-free, the pads' Advanced Ceramic Technology helps to extend rotor life resulting in fewer rotor replacements (and additional dollars saved).

Akebono Euro pads are approved for use by Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen
When are you getting them installed on your car so I can see how they are? ??
Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
When are you getting them installed on your car so I can see how they are? ??
I'm reading mixed feedback from M-Sport owners. Some say that after the initial 1200 miles break-in, the brake dust issue subsides significantly. So I may wait a couple of months and see what happens. The wheel wax I used this weekend should help with cleaning though.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
doest look like there's an akebono fittement for the 335i yet...

i just bought a 5 liter jug of sonax full effect wheel cleaner and called it a day... for now
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
doest look like there's an akebono fittement for the 335i yet...

i just bought a 5 liter jug of sonax full effect wheel cleaner and called it a day... for now
Hmm...I'm seeing a number of feedback posts from 335i owners who have bought akebono pads. Tire Rack seemed to suggest they do carry them as well, though I've not placed the order.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
I've done some extensive research about different brakes on F30 when I was considering it. There seems to be a lot of opinions out there, I tend to believe this one the most:

328i M sport brakes - front: 13.4" / rear: 13.6" = 340mm/345mm
335i M sport brakes - front: 14.6" front / rear: 13.6" rear = 370mm/345mm

M performance kit (all f30) -
•Front rotor size: 370mm x 30mm
•Rear rotor size*: 345mm x 24mm

source

There also seems to be a rumor going around that optional m sport brakes for 2014 will not be blue as euro spec brakes, but instead will be silver colored.

In short, for $650 you'll get the brakes that are nearly-identical to M performance brakes, but not quite them. I think 328i owners will benefit the most from this option, as stock brakes are pretty puny, 335i owners will see lesser benefit, since those brakes are pretty beefy as is.

IMHO it's purely cosmetic option (not just the color, but also bigger size as well, which looks meaner) that will not benefit you in everyday driving (unless your commute involves some treacherous Alpine passes), nor will stand up to the abuse on track (for track you'll need something more serious than m sport).

To sum it up, there seems to be FIVE types of brakes for F30:
Stock 328i
Stock 335i
M sport 328i (factory installed)
M sport 335i (factory installed)
M Performance (same for 328i/335i VPC or dealer installed option)

As for fixed vs floating caliper. Typical caliper "hugs" the brake rotor from inside and outside (when you look at the brakes in the wheel you can only see the outside portion of caliper and rotor). Floating caliper will push the pistons only on one side and other side will float into opposite side of rotor. Fixed caliper will push pistons simultaneously inside and outside when the brake is applied. Fixed caliper will tend to monolithic/clean look, while floating calipers have creases in them.

Last edited by BatteryPowered; 07-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.