Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Dumber question coming...what is the difference between a floating caliper and fixed? Also, I have been looking at putting on bigger 335 brakes to replace my smaller 328 brakes. Should I do that or just spring for the Mperformance brake option. Besides color, would the Mperformance be night and day better than the larger stock 335 brakes on my car?
OK, here comes a dumber-er answer: I'm making a lot of this up!

The main difference between OEM and aftermarket or upgraded brake systems is whether they are floating (sliding) or fixed calipers.

Floating calipers are much cheaper because there is only one cylinder with one piston at each wheel. That one cylinder/piston is visible through the spokes of the wheel because it is on the outboard side of the caliper.

The piston has a pad, and so does the inboard side of the caliper. When the floating caliper is actuated, the outboard piston pushes the pad against the rotor. But because the in-board pad
doesn't have a piston, so the way it presses against the rotor is the result of the outboard cylinder being forced away from the rotor.

It's like an old fashioned C-clamp. You tighten the screw, and pressure is applied on both the screw's pad and the stationary pad.

This means the caliper must always be free to move back and forth on its pins. If the pins or the caliper get corroded, which they do, then the caliper won't slide, and only the outboard side of the caliper will do any braking.

--------------------------------

Fixed calipers have pistons on both the inboard and the outboard sides of the caliper. But not just one: it could have 4, 6, or 8 (i.e. 2, 3 or 4 on each side) pistons. You can see the multiple pistons through the wheel. The pistons are small because there are several of them. But multiple pistons cause braking to be very precise.

Brembo says this type of system provides "greater braking torque and superior thermal capacity. The result is a braking action that is noticeably more immediate and decisive even in normal road usage, and is extraordinarily powerful and consistent under the repeated loads of track use. Fixed calipers improve the durability and efficiency of the system: the opposed multiple pistons act on the pads with more precision, due to the smaller piston diameter and the reduced pressure exerted on each individual piston, while the greater overall surface area between the pads and pistons results in more uniform friction surface wear... The result is improved, more stable brake pedal pressure, making it possible to modulate braking force more precisely and enhancing pedal feel."

Acme
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive, X1 28ixDrive
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Last edited by minn19; 07-23-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
In the end, if you track your car you most definitely should get the M Performance 4 wheel BBK. It's a steal at $2600 or however much it is. Barring that, I'd say any brake system option with a fixed caliper will give very good pedal feedback. Sliding calipers... ugh.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: Subaru STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
In the end, if you track your car you most definitely should get the M Performance 4 wheel BBK. It's a steal at $2600 or however much it is. Barring that, I'd say any brake system option with a fixed caliper will give very good pedal feedback. Sliding calipers... ugh.
That's good advice.I have a Subaru Legacy & a Subaru STi. Both have turbo 4 cylinder engines. But the STi's Brembos feel much better that the vague Subaru floating brakes. The STi can stop like no other car I've had.

One of the great things about performance cars is that they are safer. They can turn more accurately & quickly and they can stop more accurately and quickly. Those features alone can make the difference between running into another car & having a close call to talk about.

Acme
Old 09-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
M-sport brakes silver vs colored? There is a difference right?

I'm considering the m Sport brake $650 upgrade when ordering my 328i GT MY2014. 2 questions:

1) it makes me configure with summer tires on 18" wheels even though the default wheel option for the m sport line is 18" all season. Why?

2) are the m sport brakes more expensive to maintain down the road and if so by how much?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app