Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
Needs Parts For My Car

I need to change air filter for 2008 335xi should I stay with OEM or switch to K&N filter .
If I stay with OEM is tisher BMW is site to use for OEM parts . How many filters are needed to be changed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can go with a drop in such as K&N or aFe. Just go with a dry filter, not oiled. Unless you know how to properly maintain an oiled filter.

There is also the cabin filter to replace. Stick with oem for that one.

Check ecstuning.com for prices against Tischer. Sometimes, one or the other is cheaper.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Stick with OEM filters, foam filters give you nothing but less filtration.

getbmwparts.com is pretty good, penskeparts.com sometimes matches prices as well.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Stick with OEM filters, foam filters give you nothing but less filtration.

getbmwparts.com is pretty good, penskeparts.com sometimes matches prices as well.
No one is talking about foam here.

I love my aFe oiled drop in. Better throttle response while maintaining the low end toque you lose with open, aftermarket intakes.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
No one is talking about foam here.

I love my aFe oiled drop in. Better throttle response while maintaining the low end toque you lose with open, aftermarket intakes.
Foam/cotton, neither filters as well as paper, all the gains, if any, are at WOT.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Needs Parts For My Car

Could always go with the Dual Cone Intake (DCI) from Burgertuning for $99

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM

I will stick with the OEM . Does any one know what kind of filter this is in the attached pic, searched owner's manual didn't find any. Is this a engine air filter and is that needed to be changed for the car art 40 k miles ?
Going to change this filter along with the cabin air-filter also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130723_183902.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	388218  

Last edited by worldsmart02; 07-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsmart02 View Post
I will stick with the OEM . Does any one know what kind of filter this is in the attached pic, searched owner's manual didn't find any. Is this a engine air filter and is that needed to be changed for the car art 40 k miles ?
Going to change this filter along with the cabin air-filter also.
That is your engine air filter, and I honestly cannot think of any easier maintenance, not even filling tires with air or changing wiper blades. Oh wait, filling windshield wiper fluid is a little easier, okay there is one thing. You just unclip all of those silver metal tabs and the cover pops right off. If you haven't been under there yet, don't be surprised to see some dead insects and stuff when you pull the filter off. Might as well wipe up the housing a little.

The long tray that is pictured at the very top of your photo is the cabin microfilter.

I will say that I do not know for certain what the recommended intervals are. For the microfilter, I mostly have read 2 years, but have also heard that it may have been changed to yearly. For the engine air filter, I have seen a mileage recommendation right around where you are at, but more often I see something like every so many oil changes, I think maybe three (which sorta jives with 45K miles, if you're the type to really wait until 15k to change your oil).

Of course go OEM. The microfilter is made by Mann and so some people pick that up at Amazon. I bought both at Tischer/getBMWparts, better pricing for me at least with the size of order I placed. As an aside, doesn't matter with filters, but for the various fluids I bought from multiple vendors, Tischer had the freshest. For instance, for time sensitive stuff like OEM brake fluid, the dealership's stock may have been a half year older (somewhat significant in this case).
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 AM

Re: Needs Parts For My Car

How are the Mann air filters compared to the OEM filters . BMW doesn't make filters wondering in Mann is supplying them also ...
Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by worldsmart02; 07-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.