Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Can i buy 2007 335i coupe?

Hi all

It will be really helpful if you can provide your valuable suggestions,

I am considering to buy
2007, 335i Coupe, 6 speed manual, sports + premium package
Miles: 40k
Title: Clean, clean carfax/autocheck
Records: All records on hand..
Single owner. well maintained.
warranty : None
Price- 22-25 ( negotiable)

Test drive result:
Drives awesome. No sounds no leaks no warning lights.

Planning to get it checked ( costs 90$ ) with mechanic (deals only with BMW- had been going to him for past 3 years for my current 2003 325i sedan) .

I really need your advice if its a gud idea of consider this. I am worried looking at the problems online about the
a) HPFP
b) waste gates
c) Tires (frequency of change )

Its very hard for me to find a USED, MANUAL COUPE . After an year i found something which satifies all my criteria..

My usuage:
Everyday use, up+down approx 20 miles. NOT a racer.. DONT PLAN to test its limits.
i dont need 300hp, 328 would be fine, but cannot find, hence considering this

Kindly help
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Anyone who thinks the HPFP is a problem hasn't done enough research.

Get a PPI and ask any official bmw dealer for the INTERNAL service history report on the vin and see all the work performed at dealers that they have on the car.

If you could stomach a 2-5k bill at any point you'll be fine (not that it'll happen but you never know and thats what you need to think about), if that would kill you and wreck your world this is not the car for you, because while I had great luck these things can happen as this isn't a honda civic.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I did try to read quite a bit on HPFP problems. I double checked with the seller and he mentioned the car was checked and the particular part is not affected with that.
I am getting the 30 page report of all the changes/services done by the dealer.

To answer your question, i can take 2-5k , however my concern is, if i have to spend that amount every year. I intend to keep it until it hits 70-75 k miles (currently 40k)
Since i cannot find a coupe with manual transmissions with a CPO warranty or low miles, my other alternative is only to go for a new 4 series coupe with comes to $$50K.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM

to answer your question I doubt you'd see that every year. Check with seller to see if walnut blast has been done on the intake and ask for a scope, if not maybe he'll spring the 300-800 off the price to have it done (honestly the car should be in its prime at the moment mine was better from 35-52k miles with mods than it was between 20-35k)

As for getting an extra 20hp the car can have the ppk accessory sold by bmw installed on the car that can get you to the 320mark and open it up a tiny bit more (even though I'd say go by cobb/jb4)

HPFP is backed by 7yr like 120-140k (can't remember warranty) so you've got at least 1/2 years and almost 100k if something were to happen.

so ask seller to see intake valves and if they've been blasted (this will help the car_

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...530&highlight=

here is my valves on my 09' at 50k.

e90post has a huge community and honestly if you ran into major trouble you could probably find some really smart guys in your area to give you a hand fixing just about anything.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 07-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Thank you.
So from your suggestions , my understanding is, this car is worth considering, given that i get a clean chit from the mechanic inspection.
Honestly i do not know what walnut blast means, but i will google and check with the seller. I am not looking to add any extra HP ( feel 300 is too much for my requirement ).

Please let me know ( a list of things ) which i should get it checked well. I am sure there are always small small things which may be important, but i will forget in the excitement.

Again thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.
Open to more suggestions/ advice/comments
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM

your intake valves catch oil with this car and at 40-60k it needs to be cleaned out but the oil deposits get hard (as seen in the link above I posted) and the only way to get it off is to blast shells in and get it all off (foams and crap don't work).

FYI you also don't have 300 base dynos range from 220hp-280hp depending on the car/ build
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva27 View Post
Thank you.
So from your suggestions , my understanding is, this car is worth considering, given that i get a clean chit from the mechanic inspection.
Honestly i do not know what walnut blast means, but i will google and check with the seller. I am not looking to add any extra HP ( feel 300 is too much for my requirement ).

Please let me know ( a list of things ) which i should get it checked well. I am sure there are always small small things which may be important, but i will forget in the excitement.

Again thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.
Open to more suggestions/ advice/comments

>AHEM<

Every early 335i was subject to a recall - new software + HPFP replacement. Yours? Seemed to cure the prob.

You'll go through rear tires.

Turbo waste gates, while adjustable, are not much of a prob.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM

I just got the records from the seller about all the operations performed.
Apart from normal oil change and regular checks/ wiper replacement, key replacements were as below. Given all the information can any of the current owners tell me, if these are recommended parts which DO NOT have any problems ?

Seller says, he never had problems with anything, most of them were performed as part of Recall notice. No problem with HPFP or coolant or high temp after the recall as well. Does that mean, this vehicle is not part of the 1 % ??

Once again, I really appreciate your inputs. I know this is too much detail, but i am sure there are folks like me who are paranoid. All your inputs will be helpful for me and many more.

1) INJECTOR CHECK.. as per SIB 13 14 10. Done in 2011 when it was 26k miles.
Removed all 6 injectors scanned them. All injectors were good . replaced injector seals and reinstalled all injectors. Replaced 6 decoupling element and 6 gasket rings

2) HPFP..as per SIB 13 13 10. Done in April 2011 when it was at 26k miles
Performed, ISTA test and checked sensor, sensor is OK. replaced HPFP per SIB 13 13 10.
Part number, 13 51 7 446

3) Waste Gate Actuators rattling. Done in Mar 2011 when at 26k miles
Replaced wastegate actuators and adjusted to proper spec.

4) HDP program update . Done in Mar 2011 when at 26k miles
caused by 13 09 10 corrected by 0059069(001207030)
Campaign open updated vehicle software including C as per open campaign

5) Electril Coolant pump, Done in Aug 2010 when at 22k Miles
Faults 2E82 and 2E81 Stored in DME for electril coolant pump. Follwoed test PLan and found the Pump mechanically stiff. Diag code. D1150_00000000_04_011. Replaced coolant pump. Part number 11 51 7 563 659
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
When you say coolant/temp, the earliest '07 335i did not have an oil cooler, that is something you should look into, I do not know by what date they started including them. Just google for how to discern if you have this, it could be as simple as looking at the oil temp gauge on your instrument cluster.

I have a 335i, and love it. However, if you truly would be satisfied with a 328i, I wouldn't give up on it, after at all it is less money, and it may have less things to go wrong with it. Less maintenance (for instance the "walnut shell blasting", or that your spark plugs are replaced at least twice as often, stuff like that). Wait... I think there may be people around you can ask...

Ok there is a BF sponsor/dealer in this thread, maybe he can help you find one...?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=708628
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
When you say coolant/temp, the earliest '07 335i did not have an oil cooler, that is something you should look into, I do not know by what date they started including them. Just google for how to discern if you have this, it could be as simple as looking at the oil temp gauge on your instrument cluster.

I have a 335i, and love it. However, if you truly would be satisfied with a 328i, I wouldn't give up on it, after at all it is less money, and it may have less things to go wrong with it. Less maintenance (for instance the "walnut shell blasting", or that your spark plugs are replaced at least twice as often, stuff like that). Wait... I think there may be people around you can ask...

Ok there is a BF sponsor/dealer in this thread, maybe he can help you find one...?
About the coolant.. i just made a statement about the problems faced by people which i asked the owner. many ppl reported, high engine temperature etc

nice to know about the link. Yes you are right, i would be satisfied with 328 but its very very hard to find one. I had been searching for the right one for the past 1.5 years. this is the one which is very close to what i want. So considering this. But want to make sure, i am not making a mistake given the fact that this model has few recalls and its a turbo engine. The mechanic to whom i go to for my 325 sedan, says 335 are expensive to fix if there is an issue. if this does not work out, may be i will try with BF dealer.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 AM

Nothing you posted would scare me from buying the car having had one.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
About the coolant.. i just made a statement about the problems faced by people which i asked the owner. many ppl reported, high engine temperature etc
And I made mine because of yours. I think the oil cooler was added precisely because of the overheating of some of the earliest cars, though I think this was probably just happening at the track, but this is the only thing I really know of (outside of some other incident, like failed water pump at 70K miles or something).

Quote:
nice to know about the link. Yes you are right, i would be satisfied with 328 but its very very hard to find one. I had been searching for the right one for the past 1.5 years. this is the one which is very close to what i want. So considering this. But want to make sure, i am not making a mistake given the fact that this model has few recalls and its a turbo engine. The mechanic to whom i go to for my 325 sedan, says 335 are expensive to fix if there is an issue. if this does not work out, may be i will try with BF dealer.
Yes, I know how you feel. It took me about that long too I think. Space Gray wasn't even my first exterior color choice, but I guess it was the interior that finally sold it for me. At least we weren't hunting for some unicorn like an M-sport stick wagon!

Anyway it doesn't hurt to ask the dealers about what's out there. Or even take a flight for private purchase, driving it back after giving it a PPI that both parties agreed to, your choice of mechanic/shop that is very close to seller. I think that's been done here at this very subforum before. IOW expand your search geographically.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
And I made mine because of yours. I think the oil cooler was added precisely because of the overheating of some of the earliest cars, though I think this was probably just happening at the track, but this is the only thing I really know of (outside of some other incident, like failed water pump at 70K miles or something).

ok.

Yes, I know how you feel. It took me about that long too I think. Space Gray wasn't even my first exterior color choice, but I guess it was the interior that finally sold it for me. At least we weren't hunting for some unicorn like an M-sport stick wagon!

Anyway it doesn't hurt to ask the dealers about what's out there. Or even take a flight for private purchase, driving it back after giving it a PPI that both parties agreed to, your choice of mechanic/shop that is very close to seller. I think that's been done here at this very subforum before. IOW expand your search geographically.

Sure, if the mechanic report does not come out clean, then i will reconsider and try other alternatives. I almost gave up and started considering the new 4 series coupe with Euro delivery option. Thats still expensive and the new ones have greater depreciation (no offense to all the new car buyers). What surprises me is, given the fact that these are performance/drivers machines, there are very very few Manual transmissions available.
Having driven one for 3 years, i cannot switch to a different car nor i can afford to buy a new one.
Finally i know this is a tricky question and very hard to suggest, but what is a good price for this car. can you make any comment with the given details. KBB good value is around 22k ( even though the car is excellent). Is Kbb a good measure? edmunds for some reason give unrealistically low value ( like 17k). The dealer was ready for a trade in for 22k ( i am told ).
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Nothing you posted would scare me from buying the car having had one.
Thank you. I will post the mechanics report tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post

HPFP is backed by 7yr like 120-140k (can't remember warranty) so you've got at least 1/2 years and almost 100k if something were to happen.
I thought it was 10 yr./120k warranty?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJing408 View Post
I thought it was 10 yr./120k warranty?
I couldn't recall when I responded thats why I threw up a range
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 95 Z 28
Quote:

any 07 335i with a sport package will have an oil cooler. Not the biggest or best unit, but its there.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Can i buy 2007 335i coupe?

Looks like HPFP was replaced as a part of the recall in 2011. I think you should put the worries about potential HPFP failures aside.
If the price is a fair price for a car in its condition - go for it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Save the manuals
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Hi All

I just got it chceked with mechanic. He did not find anything wrong. He says everything is in perfect condition and i cannot get a better car than this ..specially MT. Couple of regular maintanence issues-
Rear breaks might last for 6-7k miles.
Tires may be 10k miles.
Cup holder on the drivers side, does not pop out fully.. may be spring change

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. they really helped me understand the issues.
Now it comes to the pricing... Given the details at the start of the thread, can you suggest whats a good price. It would give me a better idea if discuss with the seller

Also i would like your suggestions on the extended warranty.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
any 07 335i with a sport package will have an oil cooler. Not the biggest or best unit, but its there.
I think thats for Automatic transmissions. This is a Manual transmission and it has electric cooler ( atleast thats what i read on the mechanic report ) and it has been replaced ( see the details in the top of the thread )
Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Hi All

I just got it chceked with mechanic. He did not find anything wrong. He says everything is in perfect condition and i cannot get a better car than this ..specially MT. Couple of regular maintanence issues-
Tires may be 10k miles.

Now it comes to the pricing... Given the details at the start of the thread, can you suggest whats a good price. It would give me a better idea if discuss with the seller

Check the NADA guides http://www.nadaguides.com/ , KBB http://www.kbb.com/ and Edmunds TMV guides http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-to-use-tmv.html for ball park pricing and base your price negotiation on those.

As for the extended warranty, not sure if you an get a warranty on a 6-ear old car.
Good luck

Save the manuals
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
Quote:
I think thats for Automatic transmissions. This is a Manual transmission and it has electric cooler ( atleast thats what i read on the mechanic report ) and it has been replaced ( see the details in the top of the thread )
I think you guys already know more than I do.

Quote:
Hi All

Tires may be 10k miles.

It sounds like he's giving you the thumbs up! For brakes (not breaks!), just FYI you can access a bunch of various estimates on the instrument panel, using the BC stalk. You scroll through the CBS (condition based service) stuff, and you will see a bunch of "mileage left" estimates. Mechanic may have looked at that for you, possibly.

For tires, you can actually just measure the tread depth yourself, the gauge is very cheap, and it reads in increments of 32nd of an inch. There are 4 treads per tire, to do the whole car is just a handful of minutes. New tires for our cars usually start at 10/32, and depending on which standard/rec you listen to, it's time to replace at around 3/32 (plus or minus one depending). But that's not all, if they are summer/performance, they will wear more quickly, and if they are all season, they will last longer for instance.

For cup holder, I haven't checked them out, but there are some DIY videos out there.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.ObeGx7_eGEE

For pricing, I would listen to lqaddict's advice.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I think you guys already know more than I do.

It sounds like he's giving you the thumbs up! For brakes (not breaks!), just FYI you can access a bunch of various estimates on the instrument panel, using the BC stalk. You scroll through the CBS (condition based service) stuff, and you will see a bunch of "mileage left" estimates. Mechanic may have looked at that for you, possibly.

For tires, you can actually just measure the tread depth yourself, the gauge is very cheap, and it reads in increments of 32nd of an inch. There are 4 treads per tire, to do the whole car is just a handful of minutes. New tires for our cars usually start at 10/32, and depending on which standard/rec you listen to, it's time to replace at around 3/32 (plus or minus one depending). But that's not all, if they are summer/performance, they will wear more quickly, and if they are all season, they will last longer for instance.

For cup holder, I haven't checked them out, but there are some DIY videos out there.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.ObeGx7_eGEE

For pricing, I would listen to lqaddict's advice.

Thanks for your inputs about the tire and cup holder. I will check out the tire threads.

The mechanic did give me thumbs up,May be i am paranoid, and i asked him to give me the estimates of " the common failures". He listed the below

Things which are common problems and which are fixed/ replaced
1. Turbo
2. Water Pump
3. Oil Stand Gasket
4. Fuel Pump

Items that can or may be problematic that have not been repaired/replaced as of now.
1. Injectors ---- Labour 280 , Parts ( all 6 )- 1125 (187*6)
2. Valve Cover-S --- Labour 600, Parts - 400

Hopefully i wont have to replace them soon. But wanted to get an idea about those, on their failure rate and the cost. I know there are lots of DYI..but i think both of them are pretty involved jobs, which are best left to the mechanic ??
Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Things which are common problems and which are fixed/ replaced
1. Turbo
2. Water Pump
3. Oil Stand Gasket
4. Fuel Pump

Items that can or may be problematic that have not been repaired/replaced as of now.
1. Injectors ---- Labour 280 , Parts ( all 6 )- 1125 (187*6)
2. Valve Cover-S --- Labour 600, Parts - 400

Hopefully i wont have to replace them soon. But wanted to get an idea about those, on their failure rate and the cost. I know there are lots of DYI..but i think both of them are pretty involved jobs, which are best left to the mechanic ??
Wow. Sorry, can't really help you. But, um, if I understand your lists correctly, and I'm no mechanic, I don't understand how a mechanic passes a car with flying colors, when it has only 40K miles with all of those major part replacements(?) and/or repairs. I have to wonder if someone drove the snot out of it. Beat it to hell. Maybe with an aggressive tune, improper warm up, redlining it everywhere, even to the grocery store. I dunno, just stating my fears.

Frankly, I would pass, just because. Sorry. Someone else may have a more encouraging outlook for you.