Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 320xi
First BMW---New USB audio? Screwed by dealer?!?! HELP!

So here's the deal...

I custom ordered a BMW 320xi through my dealer. I told him specifically: the only option I care about is being able to plug in my iPhone via USB and access content (mp3s, audio books, apps with audio output, etc) FROM the phone and mount it on the dash (NOT in the arm rest) and have it charging the phone (charging is less important to me as long as the battery isn't draining....)

His response: No problem at all ! Thats actually a standard feature.

So I did NOT get the enhanced USB/BMW Apps options/blue tooth assist.

TODAY I GOT MY CAR! Jumping up and down screaming happy !

I get in my car and plug iPhone5 in via the lightning cable and am told "Device not supported"

Some googling has told me both yes, and no: Will this work? do I just need to update the firmware? Do I need to retrofit the enhanced USB?

Please guide me! What options do I have? I just got a custom ordered bimmer I should have 0 complaints!!! This is my first BMW and not a good experience so far!
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
First BMW---New USB audio? Screwed by dealer?!?! HELP!

You'll need the bmw y cable. And you'll only have audio access. Afaik.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM

its an iphone 5...i could get a converter from lightning to usb.

My question is though: if I'm plugging in via Aux input (RCA 3.5, the second prong of the Y)...what the devil is the point of the USB cable? Just to charge it? Or will it give me audio AND control?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Gotta do your homework next time bro.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Gotta do your homework next time bro.
My first time buying a car from a dealer. I just ASSUMED that the sales people are supposed to know what the options are. I told him what I wanted....
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Using the Y cable you will get control with iDrive. You can access playlists etc. but you won't see album artwork. Don't know about audio books as I haven't tried that.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM

So what does the enhanced USB get you?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderego View Post
So what does the enhanced USB get you?
The ability to do use the USB cable that came with your phone to plug in, vs having to use the BMW specific Y cable.

Not sure if you will get album art if you use the Y cable but your phone should charge. I am surprised your car did not come with a Y cable... I thought people who ordered cars that needed the BMW Y cable got the cable in the glovebox? Not sure on that though... I have enhanced USB with bluetooth, and they do not give you the Y cable with that as you do not need it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys...you have made me feel at least a little better. I can at least do a work around./..
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: B39 328i RWD
Quote:
Thanks guys...you have made me feel at least a little better. I can at least do a work around./..
I wish you had joined this forum before you did your custom order. Well now, you will have to live with it. Apps wont work; But you could store your mp3s, audio books in the HDD and play w/o connecting the USB.

and Yes Congratulations on the Car. Leave aside the minor mistakes (just assume BMW never provided those options) and Enjoy.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM

I'm going to see the dealer today. I made my wishes clear and he didn't guide me properly...

It was the ONE bell/whistle I asked for. Audio books are quite nice for when I have a 2 hour commute each way :P.

At the end of the day...it is still a beautiful car and amazing driving machine. AND its a 3 year lease (plus I'm told BMW dealers usually start trying to get you to upgrade before the end of the lease anyway. So I will learn from my mistake and talk to YOU GUYS! The real experts!! Before I get a new one).

Also one side note: have any of you guys gotten into BMW coding at all? I'm looking into it and there are a few cool changes I'm thinking about making to the computer...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
The worst part is that NBT seems to support the iPhone 5 natively, as well as other iPod/iPhone devices.

Sucks that the rest of the world has been getting NBT in the F30, but the US got screwed.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Sorry that I assumed in 2013, a luxury sports vehicle would be able to so easily play a song from my iPhone without needing to shell out hundreds of dollars.

The WORST part is that there is no easy/cheap way to retrofit.

My 2001 E46's aftermarket DICE kit played from my iPhone 5 ... yet my 2013 F30's cannot? C'mon, that's bogus ...
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM

What is NBT?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I'm going to see the dealer today. I made my wishes clear and he didn't guide me properly...

It was the ONE bell/whistle I asked for. Audio books are quite nice for when I have a 2 hour commute each way :P.

At the end of the day...it is still a beautiful car and amazing driving machine. AND its a 3 year lease (plus I'm told BMW dealers usually start trying to get you to upgrade before the end of the lease anyway. So I will learn from my mistake and talk to YOU GUYS! The real experts!! Before I get a new one).

Also one side note: have any of you guys gotten into BMW coding at all? I'm looking into it and there are a few cool changes I'm thinking about making to the computer...
I have the equipment to do coding, as I purchased the cable / software token to code my own car. I am in San Diego, however. If you are looking at getting into coding yourself, there is a coding forum here where you can get all of the information to get started.

For FXXX series cars (like yours) it really is not that hard. It requires a special cable, some software, the data to go with the software, and the ability to follow directions from the guides posted. Some knowledge of windows helps... its like editing a windows registry.

This forum is great for getting knowledge. I did not find it until after I leased my car as well, so you definately are not alone. Since its a lease, you have 3 years give or take a few months to get all your ducks in a row next time, so you know exactly what you want. In the meantime, you get to enjoy a really, really nice car
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: B39 328i RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30 View Post
Sorry that I assumed in 2013,... a luxury sports vehicle would be able to so easily play a song from my iPhone without needing to shell out hundreds of dollars..
They fixed this in 2014.

609 Navigation System now adds 6AK,6AM, 6AP,6NR,6NS,6WA for 2014 F30's

6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6NR BMW Apps
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
What is NBT?
"next big thing", or the new version of the BMW navigation system. The navigation system in BMW 3 series was refreshed outside of the US in november of 2013 with a faster unit, and is being refreshed slightly again in 2014 with a touch wheel interface.

There is a speed increase in the new unit, so people who purchased in 2013 and have nav are a little disappointed that they did not get the new unit.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy3Series View Post
They fixed this in 2014.

609 Navigation System now adds 6AK,6AM, 6AP,6NR,6NS,6WA for 2014 F30's

6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6NR BMW Apps
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
Right that's what I said. This system in 2014 is known as NBT.

Just unbelievably disappointing it took BMW this long to catch up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
"next big thing", or the new version of the BMW navigation system. The navigation system in BMW 3 series was refreshed outside of the US in november of 2013 with a faster unit, and is being refreshed slightly again in 2014 with a touch wheel interface.

There is a speed increase in the new unit, so people who purchased in 2013 and have nav are a little disappointed that they did not get the new unit.
We all knew this change was coming for a while, so I didn't really mind as I don't use navigation.

But the UI updates, as well as giving smartphone users ease of music playback and charging via the USB port without requiring the Y cable is a huge deal breaker for me. Obviously BMW realizes it was a huge mistake, or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to silently resolve this issue in 2014+

Last edited by EstorilF30; 07-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
So here's the deal...

I custom ordered a BMW 320xi through my dealer. I told him specifically: the only option I care about is being able to plug in my iPhone via USB and access content (mp3s, audio books, apps with audio output, etc) FROM the phone and mount it on the dash (NOT in the arm rest) and have it charging the phone (charging is less important to me as long as the battery isn't draining....)

I get in my car and plug iPhone5 in via the lightning cable and am told "Device not supported"

Some googling has told me both yes, and no: Will this work? do I just need to update the firmware? Do I need to retrofit the enhanced USB?

Please guide me! What options do I have? I just got a custom ordered bimmer I should have 0 complaints!!! This is my first BMW and not a good experience so far!
Congrats on the new car. Be sure to give your CA zeros on the Customer Satisfaction Index survey and let the dealership know why.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
the reason you have to get a Y cable is because apple sucks a big dick.

the radio on the F30 both nav and non nav pre-NBT only supported the iphone 4 and ipods without a y cable. the old 30 pin connector had analog audio channels on it so it didnt need a y cable.

since apple released the lightning version with iphone 5 after the F30 was designed, BMW didnt know that the iphone 5 would not have audio channels to access since apple is a ridiculous company that doesn't work with their partners like any normal company would (i.e. you can't get an iphone 5 3rd party dock until way after it came out). which is why you need a y cable. the digital part controls the playback over the digital parts of the connection, but since the built in analog is gone you have to use analog over RCA.

i would i guess not fault BMW too much, though their new sales people need to be more well informed about the iphone 5. usb sticks always work since they use usb mass storage mode. and android phones use either usb mass storage or usb host mode which all the F series cars support (i think the E series can't do host mode, don't know havent tried it)
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
I have an iPhone 5 and a 2013 335 and I can play audio through the lightning connector. Is this capability missing on the 320i?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Do you have enhanced USB audio option?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
I have an iPhone 5 and a 2013 335 and I can play audio through the lightning connector. Is this capability missing on the 320i?
Not sure, but the 335 might come with the needed equipment to do this standard...
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
So here's the deal...

Your car should have come with the "y-cable." It has an Apple dock connector on one end, and a headphone plug and USB plug on the other end. (At least, my 328i did. I don't know if BMW is including it with the 320i.) If you use a Lightning-to-USB adapter to connect your phone to the cable, and connect both plugs on the other end of the cable into the ports in the armrest, you should be able to play the media on your iPhone using the BMW to control the iPhone. (Well, I've only tried this with music. I don't know if audiobooks or podcasts can be played this way as well.) To mount your iPhone near the dash doing this, you'll need some sort of extension cable(s).

I don't know if this would allow you to send audio from apps to the stereo, either - that's another thing I've never tried, sorry.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30 View Post
Sorry that I assumed in 2013, a luxury sports vehicle would be able to so easily play a song from my iPhone without needing to shell out hundreds of dollars.
Not sure what you are talking about? My 2013, without enhanced bluetooth or Nav, plays my iPhone 4s, iPod Touch etc using the included Y cable. The iDrive displays songs, artists, playlists etc. Didn't cost me a nickle.

Last edited by BlueF30; 07-24-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Update:

I have purchased a lightning to 30 pin adapter and have connected it to the Y adapter.

It sort-of works. I am unable to use some standard features which I would think are freaking obvious...maybe I'm just not seeing how to do it?

1) I am unable to "shuffle all" - the iPod functionality that takes all your media, plays it all shuffled.

2) Advanced to the next / previous track.... ??????

===================
  • Apps with audio output DO play if started from the iPhone. No bmw control effects them except Volume. This is OK
  • The phone DOES seem to have been charging.