Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Check the Random box to shuffle. Advance track using L&R arrows after the 7&8 pushbottons.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderego View Post
Update:

I have purchased a lightning to 30 pin adapter and have connected it to the Y adapter.

It sort-of works. I am unable to use some standard features which I would think are freaking obvious...maybe I'm just not seeing how to do it?

1) I am unable to "shuffle all" - the iPod functionality that takes all your media, plays it all shuffled.

2) Advanced to the next / previous track.... ??????

===================
  • Apps with audio output DO play if started from the iPhone. No bmw control effects them except Volume. This is OK
  • The phone DOES seem to have been charging.
As the poster above me mentioned, you need to check the random box to shuffle ( the random box on the iDrive, NOT the shuffle command on the iPhone itself). You should also be able to skip to the next song as mentioned by the poster above me (with the right arrow physical keys to the right of the number 8 preset key).
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
The saddest part is that 6 dollar Y cable sells for 80 dollars at the dealer. Total rip off.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
The saddest part is that 6 dollar Y cable sells for 80 dollars at the dealer. Total rip off.
My CA told me that the Y cable is standard with the vehicle. Mine was no cost...
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF30 View Post
My CA told me that the Y cable is standard with the vehicle. Mine was no cost...
Yea mine came in it.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
That's not correct.

If the F30 is equipped with a Combox then it works directly with the Apple USB cable (Lightning or not). Combox = Enhanced USB/Bluetooth. Some early F30 came equipped with the Combox but not enabled for enhanced features. Coding can enable those.

If the F30 is not equipped with a Combox then the standard USB supports only control of the iPhone or iPod; audio is via analog wires. This is the old iPod interface back in the days of DRM-music. Digital reproduction of DRM music was not possible by design. I would guess that it is vastly cheaper -because it is legacy hardware/software- than the new iPod open interface, thus BMW keep using it as standard equipment. That and that then they can keep selling the damn OEM Y cable.

This only applies to Apple devices. USB sticks and Android phones work 100% digital.

The new NBT iDrive discarded the separate Combox module and now it is built-in -the same way that the Sirius and HD Radio external tuner modules were eliminated as well. That's the reason that the Navigation option now includes BMW Apps and enhanced Bluetooth, and it is the only way of getting those features from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
the reason you have to get a Y cable is because apple sucks a big dick.

the radio on the F30 both nav and non nav pre-NBT only supported the iphone 4 and ipods without a y cable. the old 30 pin connector had analog audio channels on it so it didnt need a y cable.

since apple released the lightning version with iphone 5 after the F30 was designed, BMW didnt know that the iphone 5 would not have audio channels to access since apple is a ridiculous company that doesn't work with their partners like any normal company would (i.e. you can't get an iphone 5 3rd party dock until way after it came out). which is why you need a y cable. the digital part controls the playback over the digital parts of the connection, but since the built in analog is gone you have to use analog over RCA.

i would i guess not fault BMW too much, though their new sales people need to be more well informed about the iphone 5. usb sticks always work since they use usb mass storage mode. and android phones use either usb mass storage or usb host mode which all the F series cars support (i think the E series can't do host mode, don't know havent tried it)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 320xi
How do I know if have a combox? I'll very happily codeing enable these features! I've already bought the cable needed to code
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderego View Post
How do I know if have a combox? I'll very happily codeing enable these features! I've already bought the cable needed to code
Hans007 is mistaken. My iPhone 5 integrates properly in my 2010 328 using the Y cable with a 30-pin to Lightning adapter. Obviously the 2010 predates the iPhone 5 by several years, but I'm still able to browse local playlists and control Pandora via the iDrive controller and steering wheel controls just as I was on all my previous iPhones.

The iPhone 5 also works in my 2013 335 and my wife's 2011 X3 (which also predates the iPhone 5) using only the Lightning cable. I suspect that if you find that you can't enable support via coding, you'll be able to get the same functionality by using the Y cable and 30 pin adapter.

Last edited by virtguy; 07-24-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: cars & bikes
Or, you could simply compile some playlists on a USB stick and plug it into the USB port in the armrest. No messing with the phone, good control via iDrive.