Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Navigation while driving

I am considering a 328 with Nav. I understand that the ability to input addresses for navigation is turned off when the car is in motion. But can you change the address or ask it to find the nearest Starbucks (for example) using voice commands while the car is in motion?

If not I am less interested in the installed navigation and i will stick with my phone.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBMWman View Post
I am considering a 328 with Nav. I understand that the ability to input addresses for navigation is turned off when the car is in motion. But can you change the address or ask it to find the nearest Starbucks (for example) using voice commands while the car is in motion?

If not I am less interested in the installed navigation and i will stick with my phone.

Thanks
Incorrect - you can input an address into NAV when in motion.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:

Thanks
As skier mentioned, on BMWs you can program them while you are driving. Nissan / Infinity locks you out until your vehicle comes to a complete stop, but on BMWs you can actually enter the data / etc while the vehicle is in motion.

I suck at the voice commands so cant answer that portion, but I am fairly certain you can do that too. I use SIRI for that (via bluetooth connection to the car, and letting SIRI give me the closest whatever, with the responses from SIRI playing through the car stereo).
Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Yup as the others have said, on my 2012 I can input while in motion. And love it with it displaying in the HUD. I was hesitant to get HUD but now that I have it I would not have a car without.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: Prius
Toyota locks you out too.
They should at least unlock it when the passenger airbag is activated, meaning there is a second adult in the front.
I'm glad the germans still have some sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: The Batmobile
Yeah, Lexus locks you out. So happy BMW doesn't. Tried this myself while in passenger seat and it worked. Wohoo!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Incorrect - you can input an address into NAV when in motion.
Yeah, but not a good idea.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
BMW navigation sucks on all levels.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:

Thanks

First off, welcome aboard.

As others have pointed out, you can input an address while driving in numerous ways:

Points Of Interest: iDrive has thousands, all are updated, all are easy to find. You can search by name or by category/subcategory. I usually just start typing "MCDONAL" and it'll find all the golden arches in the vicinity. Phone numbers come up too, very useful.

BMW Remote App: It's included with the navigation option, an app that allows you to do many things like unlock your doors, flash your lights, beep your horn, and locate your car on a street. But the best thing about it is Google Maps with Send-To-Car functionality. Using Siri, you launch the app, speak "Starbucks" and the map will return all in the area. Click the one you want, tap "Send To Car" and boom, it's in your navigation.

I usually know where I'm going before I head out, so I use this one mostly:

Google Maps on a PC: Go to Google Maps. Put in "Starbucks". Find the one you want. Tap the red flag. Choose More > Send > Send To Car and boom, it's in your navigation.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-24-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
BMW navigation sucks on all levels.

Wrong.

It is, without question, the best integrated navigation system in any vehicle, and its a crime to get an F30 and skip it. Real time traffic alone is worth the price. Re-routing to avoid accidents has saved me hours of wasted time. The integration with Google Maps and the great Send-To-Car feature on both a PC or an iPhone app is phenomenal. The split-screen that shows both the navigation and the album art. And the Head Up Display, fantastic.

And, of course, the most important aspect of all: It looks stupid to have this giant LCD screen in the middle of the dash and then have to stick-on an iPhone mount. Ugh.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: The Batmobile
@boltjaM3s : the things you mentioned, do they work only on iPhone or also Android? And are they part of the technology package (I have Premium, not Technology)?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Unfortunately a $200 Garmin does everything the BMW navigational system can and more, as well as better. The Garmin map updates are also free.

It is interesting that many car buyers accept mediocre functionality - at an elevated price - justifying it by emphasizing the navigation is built into the car. This is akin to getting excited over the sound of an AM radio merely because it is glued to the center upper dash.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Thanks

Thanks for the all the input! It is really helpful. And I am pretty psyched about the HUD.
Not sure why i am getting bum info from the dealer!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
It is interesting that many car buyers accept mediocre functionality - at an elevated price - justifying it by emphasizing the navigation is built into the car. This is akin to getting excited over the sound of an AM radio merely because it is glued to the center upper dash.
Because most people just need basic navigation. Lots of the bells and whistles on the standalone systems are nice to have, but in reality they aren't that useful for majority of the people.

Built-in systems, on the other hand, offer a few advantages that are quite useful.

For myself the top reason of having a built-in system is that the GPS lock on MUCH faster, especially in cities where there are tons of high-rise. This is because the built-in system has real antenna that is exposed to the outside of the car.

Another reason is that built-in system rarely got stolen. I have at least five friends that got their cars broken in because of portable GPSs.

But it's true that most people do prefer something that is well integrated. Using your example I would rather use my built-in amplifier than to stick a Pivetta
Opera One on my car roof, even there is no comparison in term of the sound quality.

Last edited by csi; 07-25-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by csi View Post
Because most people just need basic navigation.
Yes, but a Garmin is vastly superior in basic navigation functionality. The maps are more accurate/complete, the routing is better, calculation is faster, the user interface is superior, better real time traffic information, etc.

These are not bell and whistle attributes, but basic functionality. But there are other neat features such as photographs of exits as you approach them, etc.

At the price of the built-in, BMW's navigation should be at least equal to a portable.

I have not had an issue with slow satellite lock with either the BMW system or a Garmin. A good built-in incorporates gyros and has a speedometer input so it can operate in underground garages and needs no time to lock; it relies on this internal info until it connects to the satellites. This is neat.

As with radar detectors, it is wise to store a portable GPS out of sight. Theft is an issue.