Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335is Cab & '08 535xi
F30 Loaner

I dropped my wife's 535xi into the dealership today for some routine maintenance. This is what I got as a loaner.

I dropped my Porsche in for service yesterday and this is what I got as a loaner.

I guess you get what you pay for, and even though I was downgraded at both dealerships, I would have preferred a 5 Series so my wife and I could take an extended test drive in the 5 (I've also had 2 F30 loaners in the past).

I loved the Panamera even though I'm not a huge fan of the looks. The view out the front while driving is excellent, but the rearview is limited by a small rear window. The trunk space is also small, but at least the back seats go down to add more. It had a 3.6 L V6 engine but it had plenty of go power. The handling was excellent, especially in sport mode, as were the brakes. The interior is very comfortable, although, it did not feel like the same quality in several areas as my 911. This is a very fun sedan to drive, but I would have a hard time with the lack of trunk space. You need to lay the rear seats flat just to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW 335is Convertible; '08 BMW 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 07-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Well they have both 4-door and alloy wheels .... what's the problem?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
You might have been able to custom-request a 5 series as a loaner. BMW of Dallas, for example, has, as part of their former service loaner vehicles, for sale an X5, 740Li, several 528is, a 535i, and a 750Li. Not sure what model year you might have gotten, but it's worth an ask.

http://www.bmwofdallas.com/Service_Loaner_Specials
Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
seems to depend on the dealership. my dad got a 535 hybrid loaner for an X5 a few months back.

i once got a rental yaris as a loaner at an audi dealership..... i suppose the same could happen at a bmw dealership if its a crummy one and they are out of cars.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
All depends on what they have available. They might not have had any 5 series left to loan at the time you took yours in and they are always first come first serve.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 335i M Spt
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
seems to depend on the dealership. my dad got a 535 hybrid loaner for an X5 a few months back.

i once got a rental yaris as a loaner at an audi dealership..... i suppose the same could happen at a bmw dealership if its a crummy one and they are out of cars.
I once got a Chevy Aveo and almost put it in the wall. Handling wasn't quite the same a my 550i M Sport with ARC. Thank god for the GERMANS and their BMW's !!!
2014 335i M Sport - Estoril Blue II / Black Dakota / Tech / Prem / HK / 19" Avant Garde 310 - Mich PSS / Cold Wthr / DHP / Blk Kidney Grilles / 35% Tint / 8 spd Auto / True S package - S335i / BORLA ATAK EXHAUST

2014 535XI M Sport - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK /
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Well they have both 4-door and alloy wheels .... what's the problem?
Same color schemes too.

Current Stablemates:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:

My Audi dealer is terrible for loaners. They use Enterprise instead of loaning Audis.

Current Stablemates:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
and the F30? I guess silence speaks volumes.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: Prius
I love audi. But their dealership experience can range from ok to absolutely horrible. It really ranges from location to location.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
I just returned the F30. I forgot to ask what package it had, but I think it was the base model - although it had wood trim in the interior.

Compared to my wife's '08 535xi which I had in for service, I hate to say it, but the F30 pales by comparison. The interior vinyl is thinner and looks cheap; the interior doors are flimsy by comparison; I really, really hate the looks of the GPS sitting there on top of the dash; the dashboard vinyl is sticky and I would think it is a dirt grabber and tough to get clean; the seats were OK but the leather was 1/2 the quality - in fact, I had to ask the service guy if it was leather; the engine hesitates a bit on start-up, but it does have good acceleration; the engine has very little sound output, either from under the hood or through the exhaust; the driver's seat is comfortable and there is more room to stretch my legs as compared to either the E60 or my E93; the rear passenger room is also more roomy; the trunk space is ample; the headliner is cheaper quality; I like the overall exterior looks except for the front end grill touching the lights and the chrome; the doors don't seem to close with the same solid sound as either the E60 or the E93; the car handled poor road surfaces very well and better than my E93, but not as solid as the 535xi; the handling is strictly commuter car level, and in fact, that was exactly what came to my mind after driving it a few miles. The body roll and lack of a planted feel.

Overall, a very nice car to drive the family around and to commute to and from work. The car does not feel like a BMW when driving, or should I say, none of the BMWs that we have owned.

From what others have said, I guess different packages produce better results.

Current Stablemates:
Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
F30 Loaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I just returned the F30. I forgot to ask what package it had, but I think it was the base model - although it had wood trim in the interior.

Compared to my wife's '08 535xi which I had in for service, I hate to say it, but the F30 pales by comparison. The interior vinyl is thinner and looks cheap; the interior doors are flimsy by comparison; I really, really hate the looks of the GPS sitting there on top of the dash; the dashboard vinyl is sticky and I would think it is a dirt grabber and tough to get clean; the seats were OK but the leather was 1/2 the quality - in fact, I had to ask the service guy if it was leather; the engine hesitates a bit on start-up, but it does have good acceleration; the engine has very little sound output, either from under the hood or through the exhaust; the driver's seat is comfortable and there is more room to stretch my legs as compared to either the E60 or my E93; the rear passenger room is also more roomy; the trunk space is ample; the headliner is cheaper quality; I like the overall exterior looks except for the front end grill touching the lights and the chrome; the doors don't seem to close with the same solid sound as either the E60 or the E93; the car handled poor road surfaces very well and better than my E93, but not as solid as the 535xi; the handling is strictly commuter car level, and in fact, that was exactly what came to my mind after driving it a few miles. The body roll and lack of a planted feel.

Overall, a very nice car to drive the family around and to commute to and from work. The car does not feel like a BMW when driving, or should I say, none of the BMWs that we have owned.

Thanks for the honest opinion. Your last comment about different packages making a difference is certainly true....as my 335i Sportline feels tighter, crisper, much quicker, and just as luxurious as my 05 545i e60.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
I dropped my wife's 535xi into the dealership today for some routine maintenance. This is what I got as a loaner.

I dropped my Porsche in for service yesterday and this is what I got as a loaner.

I guess you get what you pay for, and even though I was downgraded at both dealerships, I would have preferred a 5 Series so my wife and I could take an extended test drive in the 5 (I've also had 2 F30 loaners in the past).

I loved the Panamera even though I'm not a huge fan of the looks. The view out the front while driving is excellent, but the rearview is limited by a small rear window. The trunk space is also small, but at least the back seats go down to add more. It had a 3.6 L V6 engine but it had plenty of go power. The handling was excellent, especially in sport mode, as were the brakes. The interior is very comfortable, although, it did not feel like the same quality in several areas as my 911. This is a very fun sedan to drive, but I would have a hard time with the lack of trunk space. You need to lay the rear seats flat just to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk.
Can't you just have the servants follow you, in an SUV, with your golf clubs?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:

wood i think is a no cost option o the 328i even with base everything. the car you got was probably more or less base with a nav which apparently is a pretty popular setup. but yeah the trim pieces are pretty terrible in base line cars. it is a real big difference in percieved cheapness i'd say.

of the recent bmws i've driven the current X5, e90 3 series and the F10 535 hybrid and my F30.

i'd say the 4 cylinder in the f30 328i doesnt sound as good just because its a little less smooth. i actually used to own a B8 audi a4, and it sounds worse. but it is more powerful.

compared to any of the 6 cylinder engine the new n20 seriously doesn't sound great. even when you have it at WOT. but it does have a lot of power given its size (and its a noticeable amount compared to say the audi 2.0t in my opinion). i think a lot of it is just that the 4 cylinder turbos just can't sound as premium and direct injection makes 4 cylinder engines sound even more clattery.

Last edited by hans007; 07-24-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
you dropped off a 100K car and got a 70k loaner. You dropped off a 60K car and got a 40K loaner. Go figure.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
wood i think is a no cost option o the 328i even with base everything. the car you got was probably more or less base with a nav which apparently is a pretty popular setup. but yeah the trim pieces are pretty terrible in base line cars. it is a real big difference in percieved cheapness i'd say.

of the recent bmws i've driven the current X5, e90 3 series and the F10 535 hybrid and my F30.

i'd say the 4 cylinder in the f30 328i doesnt sound as good just because its a little less smooth. i actually used to own a B8 audi a4, and it sounds worse. but it is more powerful.

compared to any of the 6 cylinder engine the new n20 seriously doesn't sound great. even when you have it at WOT. but it does have a lot of power given its size (and its a noticeable amount compared to say the audi 2.0t in my opinion). i think a lot of it is just that the 4 cylinder turbos just can't sound as premium and direct injection makes 4 cylinder engines sound even more clattery.
I like the 4 cylinder engine. It has ample power from like 20MPH to 60 MPH, and then it seems to run out of steam a bit. I didn't go past 65 on a short stetch of the highway so I don't know what happens after that.

I forgot to turn off the auto shutdown feature and it didn't turn the car off at stop lights. All it did was make the car hesitate when starting off from a light. I'm not sure what was going on with it? Maybe the dealer defeated the function, but the light still lit when I did shut it off.

The transmission is smooth but it does shift quite often. It was less noticeable in sport mode. I started playing with the different modes and I actually liked the Comfort Mode the best, a least as it affected the transmission, and it seemed to accelerate a bit smoother.

It's tough to put your finger on what settings you prefer when driving a car just for the day. Some of these settings take a decent amount of time to really figure out.

Current Stablemates:
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Can't you just have the servants follow you, in an SUV, with your golf clubs?
I guess so if I had a "servant". As a kid, my first job was being a Caddy. I guess old habits die hard, but I've always carried my own bag through life.

Current Stablemates:
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I was pretty turned off by driving a similar loaner a few months back. The base cars feel base'ier than past experience throughout the years.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2014 X6 35i
You can request a specific car for a loaner. However, I like driving the different cars...it gives me a better feel for the line. Maybe because I don't mind carrying my own groceries.

Many Thanks:
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008; 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
In the grand scheme of things your '08 535 and 2012 gts cabrio unfortunately are mid level models at best for either manf. So why did you expect special treatment when getting a loaner?

IMO the F30 was an upgrade to your old 5 series and the panamera should just be taken as an opportunity to experience the broader Porsche portfolio.

Now had you dropped off a current model 7 series and a turbo car and gotten those loaners in return, you'd actually have something to complain about.

2011 328i Sedan: black on oyster- sold
2009 328i Sedan: black on tan - sold
2004 530i: black on tan - sold
1994 325i vert: black on tan - sold to insurance company
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercF30_GA View Post
In the grand scheme of things your '08 535 and 2012 gts cabrio unfortunately are mid level models at best for either manf. So why did you expect special treatment when getting a loaner?

IMO the F30 was an upgrade to your old 5 series and the panamera should just be taken as an opportunity to experience the broader Porsche portfolio.

Now had you dropped off a current model 7 series and a turbo car and gotten those loaners in return, you'd actually have something to complain about.
The car you drive should not matter. Loaded 535 might be more expensive than base 7 series.

At the end, loaners are random for the most part. I've seen people dropping off 128i driving off in new 650i cabrio loaners.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
F30 Loaner

Quote:

I drop off both a 6 year old E93 and a 1 year old 750Lix for service and am offered the same F30 loaners. In both cases I turn down the loaner and take the bus because for me in my situation lining in Manhattan a loaner of any kind is unnecessary and tends to be more trouble than it is worth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-25-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:

We used to have a 740il that we purchased new through the dealership. We were furnished 3 series loaners then too.

If my 911 GTS convertible is "mid level", I guess everything in life is relative. But, I actually would have preferred another sports car model as a loaner, like a Boxster S or a Cayman S.

We have 3 BMWs serviced at our dealership, one of which we bought there. When I arrived, our car was inside parked by itself along side where you enter the drive in service. The Service Manager told me that he parks all of my cars there since he appreciates how much time I spend to keep them clean and well maintained. Now, that's service that I really appreciate.

Current Stablemates:

Last edited by beden1; 07-25-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Quote:
We used to have a 740il that we purchased new through the dealership. We were furnished 3 series loaners then too.

If my 911 GTS convertible is "mid level", I guess everything in life is relative. But, I actually would have preferred another sports car model as a loaner, like a Boxster S or a Cayman S.

We have 3 BMWs serviced at our dealership, one of which we bought there. When I arrived, our car was inside parked by itself along side where you enter the drive in service. The Service Manager told me that he parks all of my cars there since he appreciates how much time I spend to keep them clean and well maintained. Now, that's service that I really appreciate.
There is a definate difference in my 2013 335i and my wifes 2013 AH5. Beside the integrated nav in the dash, the 5 has a definate much more "luxurious" feel to it, other than the seats. I have a sport line 335i, and my seats are pretty darn comfortable.

The only other BMW we have owned as a family is an 08 528i, and that car felt a little more luxurious than my 335 on the inside, but I really did not like to drive it (it was my wifes car). It felt like a regular "commuter" type car, which I guess is what it was.

My wifes AH5 is a no line model, and while her car has a much more "high end" feel to it from a luxury stand point, I like to drive my car much more than I like to drive hers. I totally agree about the luxury statement though.

Just to compare, when I took my 335 in to have the auto start / stop feature re coded, the dealer gave me a 328 base model with nav as a loaner. I had only had my 335i For about 3 days before I took it in for the re coding.

All I could think of was "MAN I am glad I got the 335 sportline", and I could not WAIT to get back into my car. I really disliked driving that 328 baseline loaner. It had plenty of Pep, but just did not feel anything at all like my car.