Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 86 325es
1986 325es will only start after sitting a few days

Hi guys I have a problem with my car it will only start after sitting a few days and thats a maybe. Once it starts it idles fine but if I shut it off and try to restart it will almost start then I try ignition one more time and it doesn't even cough a bit.

The car was in the garage for 2 years. Took it out had a quarter tank topped it up drove it 3 hours then changed the oil did engine flush. Then ran ok for 2 weeks. I got full tank of high octane in her and put some injector cleaner in with it.

I'm reading through my service manual at what to check but theres no troubleshooting tips. I thought this post might save me some time.

Thanks any help is appreciated greatly,
Trav
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
last time you changed the fuel filter? did you clog up the screen to the intank fuel pump? is it cranking fine just no sputter?

need lil more info.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM

That was the first thing I changed. My friend said there might be one at the tank that was going to be the next thing to check that and my pumps. It will crank fine i'll let it sit for a day and try starting it sometimes it goes and sometimes it won't but always on the 3rd try it won't even sputter then I have to let it sit again. I'll let you know what happens after I check the pumps and if there is another filter I'll change it.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
Your description is scanty but it sounds like you have a weak component in the starting circuit.
1, I suggest having the battery charged and then load tested.
2, If the battery is good then you'll need to give us a little more detail regarding the behavior of the starter as it could be that your starter has a weak bendix. It may bench test fine but collapse on the engine.
3, A remote possibility that the Ignition coil is not healthy. Test the primary/and secondary resistance spec.

m
Old 07-25-2013, 01:00 PM

ok so just according to what I'm seeing and the manual from the gas tank there is a some weird round cylinder thing they call it a damper then I got my fuel pump then out of the pump there is a round cylinder with a ring around the center of it i couldn't really find out what it is not sure if its a regulator or a filter but I removed that can confirmed that the pump was working. I blew through the component I removed put it back together and now its starting every time. If I post a pick can someone tell me what it is so I can replace it?
When the car is running I listen to the pump and its not a constant humm sounds like its pumping air bubbles then it sounds good for 3 sec then bubbles not sure if thats normal or not maybe its a sound of a restriction. I'm not sure what the damper does before the pump so I wonder if thats causing it. Maybe I should just post a youtube video. But for now I"m going to let the engine cool and try starting it again and if it keeps starting for me I'll just replace the part and hope for the best.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
How are the hoses between the tank and external pump? If they're old, cracked or even poorly sealed at the ends, the pump can pull air in.

What you are describing IS a damper, #14 in the picture. There are two of them. The pancake-looking one (#20) with the outlet on the side has been discontinued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel supply E30.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	388507  

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
livin large

run a new fuel line. i believe its 3/8" fuel line. get 8 foot of it, take the first damper out (not the pancake one) and run from the supply to the inlet to the inline pump.

there could also be a possibility that the intank pump is bad. but fuel line sounds more likely
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM

All my lines are in good shape I heard that when you put injection cleaner is loosens up a bunch of crap I'm hoping thats all that happened the car was sitting for 2 years with a quarter tank.

hornhospital what does the damper do anyways?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
I second the suggestion of changing all the fuel lines. When I got my 89 it had been sitting a few years. The damper leaked. I took it out and replaced it with a piece of fuel line. No issues for about a month then one day another hose burst and I lost a few gallons of gas on my garage floor. Needless to say after that I replaced EVERY piece of fuel hose on the car. I had an 85 325e 12-13 years ago that had 5 dampers on it! 3 underneath and 2 inline to the cold start valve of all places. I took them all off when one started to leak and never noticed any difference in how the car ran.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM
livin large

all they do is lessen the noise from the fuel pump. when they start going bad, they make alot of noise.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Oh really hmm interesting. Ever since I removed exiting damper and cleaned it the car has been running amazing.

I want to thank everybody for helping me out. Thankyou
Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Never did like injector cleaner. If they need cleaning take them out for a rig clean and flow test.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i