Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 328I 2009
Exclamation 328i E90 2009 A/C unique problem

HI, I am new for the forum, I read lots of post regarding a/c but not found problem I have.
I have 2009 328i USA model and having problem with A/C. Car had accident in 2009 and everything was fixed right. A/c worked fine until 2012. A/c Clutch was damaged in accident but was working right until 2012. I decided to replace whole compressor, expansion valve and dryer. Was working right initially except when I stop at red light, it stop cooling immediately and start blowing hot air. I took it to several people, dealer, european car repair shops but no correct diagnosing. Dealer asked e to replace evaporator which I did but now problem is worse. When I first start car, and drive about 4 miles, it will blow only hot air then started cooling until I stop at red light and again it will not work for 3-4 miles before start cooling. I desperately need help. I live in Texas hot sun.

2009 BMW 328i
Compressor replaced at 25000 miles last year with expansion valve and drier.
Evaporator replaced June at 29000 miles.

Car is black with black interior
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Take a deep breath. I can help you. First, you described this problem to the dealer and he replaced the Evaporator??? That would be pure incompetence based only on your description. By any chance were you losing refrigerant and they found the evap to be leaking? That would certainly begin to make some sense.
Do you hear the electric radiator cooling fan coming on? When you lose cabin cooling what happens if you pop it into neutral and rev the engine up to 2000 rpm or so?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Evaporator is changed earlier this month. Refrigerant leaked out little bit but without checking they told me that evaporator is leaking. To check leak, you have to add refrigerant and die, which they did not do. Cooling fan comes on and when it is cooling, it cools well. and when it is not cooling, it does not matter what speed engine is running. While going on freeway for several miles, it stops working intermittently.

Thanks for replying. Here in Houston we have real problem for service of BMW. One dealer in downtown is really incompetent, I had 3 times problem was misdiagnosed. And on southwest side dealer had my other E90 for repair and it took them 121 days to fix problem.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Your radiator/condenser cooling fan must come on very soon after you turn on the AC and stay on the entire time the AC is on unless you are moving at some speed. It sounds like the fan is shutting down and the AC high pressure switch is shutting down the AC compressor to keep from damaging the system. Double check the radiator fan at idle. Is it on all the time when you have AC working. Does it shut off when you lose cabin cooling?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Fan is working al right. WHen it is not working, clutch gives way so before AC starts compression, clutch turns off. FAn does not get chance to come on. This is when starting in the morning. It starts cooling after driving 3-4 miles. This situation started last year after changing ac compressor. Around same time I had open circuit in head lamp and other mechanic was trying to locate it using scanner by turning on off light through it, He was using the scanner on BMW first tie and wiggle many switches. SO I suspect, some condition changed while doing this. Do you know standard default factory setting for AC in micro controller? I can check with mechanic by putting on scanner.

Thanks again.