Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
New Guy

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
My 4 month update. Please give me your suggestions and sarcastic comments

OK.

After a drink or two, I went outside to admire my car. Yes, I'm shallow with it. I love the thing. I started to think. What else can I do that would not compromise the integrity of the brand name, yet offer some performance and customization benefits.

I came from Honda in March. I'm on the verge of 30 and I work(ed) very hard, so I wanted to spoil myself with a 2009 328i. After signing up for here and another forum that I lurk on, I took some ideas, suggestions, etcs to make this car my own and by sticking to factory, or close-to options/addons.

The car was stock when I got it. Here are pictures of how it sits with small descriptions.

Dinan front strut bar. Dinan ram intake. Dinana exhaust. LineX yellow foglight covers. Factory M style trunk lip/spoiler. E92-Lighting Halo upgrade (bright right).

Front with linex yellow light covers and e92 halo light upgrade. (changed to black grill in last pic)

Dinan exhaust. Sounds pretty good, not too loud and not too weak. No regrets.

Side view. Nothing really special here.

Engine bay. Dinan strut bar and Dinan ram intake.

This was taken before the exhaust. M style rear trunk lip/spoiler from E92. came pre-painted. Good quality.

And I just added these Piano finish kidney front grill replacements to the OEM chrome style:

Just got these today. I'm still 50/50 on them. I'm used to the OEM chrome. We'll see how I feel after a week or so?

So, I guess I want ya'lls suggestion and advice.

I was thinking, and here's where the mockery and/or sarcasm can come into place:

The car has the M? sport suspension package. I want to really improve handling and also possible lower it 1" to 1.75"/2"? My logic is compromised because I'm thinking if BMW engineered this sport suspension; how much better could any aftermarket suspension be? And if it was so much better, I'm scared it will cost literally half what my car is worth.

Along side, I really get excited over those Brembo red brakes. I know they're super expensive, but I just have always wanted a decent car to put some on. I'm a brand name whore.

I'm not really TOO much into cosmetics. I do like small subtle modifications though. I can't possibly think of anything else (exterior wise) that could be modified or updated. I don't really want to get a new front bumper (M style) or anything drastic like that.

So. Again:

Suspension? Brakes? Wheels? (I've been kind of gravitating towards a black multispoke with a slight red rim, seen below:

SO SEX. Are these not the most beautiful wheels you have ever seen?

If either, what brand/system/style/etc would you suggest? If I missed something, please throw it out there. I'm also not TOO interested in huge engine mods; eg, turbo/sc.

So. Any takers?

Last edited by e92josh; 07-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I'll start out with sarcastic comments.

No offense but that is a very ugly car. The color is horrible and the interior is really cheap looking,

OK
Now I will be serious.

Very nice car, Congratulations and best of luck with it, The color is great and really stands out in a sea of gray, black and white BMWs.What color is the interior? Can't tell from the pics. I am not a fan of black rims and personally prefer the rims that you have to the black ones you pictured.

My 335i has the sport suspension and I was able to improve both the ride and handling by replacing the RFTs and installing Koni FSD dampers. The basic geometry of the sport suspension is very good but IMO the stock dampers and the RFTs made ir overly stiff which resulted in a very uncomfortable ride and the tendency for the car to bounce around and become unsettled on poor surfaces.

In any case once again good luck with the car, I think you made a great choice and that you will get a great deal of enjoyment out of it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-24-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
What the captain failed to mention is that he prefers larger rims say nothing smaller than a 19' maybe a 20' like he says "Bigger is better" Right ca???
That's the sarcasm now the reality....Delete those hideous reflectors for some painted ones only $65 and make a world of dif. Good luck with the ride and I actually prefer those rims over those black things.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92josh View Post

Suspension? Brakes? Wheels? (I've been kind of gravitating towards a black multispoke with a slight red rim, seen below:

If either, what brand/system/style/etc would you suggest? If I missed something, please throw it out there. I'm also not TOO interested in huge engine mods; eg, turbo/sc.

So. Any takers?

"When you can't run, you crawl... and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

|100,000mile Club (E92)2008 335i SGM "Io"- Cobb Tuned |6AT|Premium|Sport|
|AE Performance CBE|AR Design DPs|CF GTR Vented Hood|Cobb AP V2|SP Lowering Perches (F)|M3 FCAs|VRSF 5" FMIC|
|BMS DCI|Niche Targa M129 18x8/18x9.5|BMS Spacers 10mm/15mm|BP Drilled/Slotted Rotors|BP Ceramic Pads|
|Forge DVs|CP-e Upper CP|VRSF Lower CP|BMS Cowl Delete|MR Front Strut Bar|BMS OCC|Custom CA License Plate|
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
looks good, I was going to get that exact same color but instead of 328i it was an 335i. After seeing the car in person it had grey leather interior which I didn't like so I ended up getting a black 335i with black interior. I also got the M3 trunk lip spoiler and Aero front lip which I suggest you get too. It makes the car looks so much nicer.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
After a drink or two, I went outside to admire my car. Yes, I'm shallow with it. I love the thing. I started to think. What else can I do that would not compromise the integrity of the brand name, yet offer some performance and customization benefits.

Well, if you've come into money lately, you'll be very very good to yourself if you upgrade the suspension. Yes!

But, hey....you gotta Dinan fetish, which I wouldn't recommend for suspension parts. No.

What to do? I say: Highlight your extremely expensive Dinan gear with LED lighting! Imagine....your ride glides on a pool or warm orange with a bit of red - that's undercarriage lighting. The Dinan exhaust tops for instance - give them a bit of warm cream light for those evening runs....angle your LED's so that the word DINAN stands out! Anyone 'in the know' will see what you have, and with awe at your purchasing power.

Let's not neglect the interior - you may have mood lighting, and it is good, but is that all there is? NOOOOO! Courtesy lighting in your 3 leaves much to the imagination - let's pump up the volume with LED strips interfaced with vehicle functions - let your imagination run free....

You get the idea. Highlight DINAN so everyone will know your status - hey you paid for that - and get jiggy w/inside lightenin'

That's better.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-25-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, if you've come into money lately, you'll be very very good to yourself if you upgrade the suspension. Yes!

But, hey....you gotta Dinan fetish, which I wouldn't recommend for suspension parts. No.

I actually have a live micro camera hooked up under my hood and undercarriage that displays to a 42" LCD LG TV that pops out of my trunk. When I idle at redlights I pop the trunk so the viewers behind me can see that Dinan up and close.

But for realsies.

Suspension: what brand would you go for? You seem to have a lot of hands on experience with suspension - you got your mockery in now show me the light. Guide me under the arms of hate and witty sarcasm. Guide me to a suspension system that will give me a reason to go up north to the mountains.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJing408 View Post
looks good, I was going to get that exact same color but instead of 328i it was an 335i. After seeing the car in person it had grey leather interior which I didn't like so I ended up getting a black 335i with black interior. I also got the M3 trunk lip spoiler and Aero front lip which I suggest you get too. It makes the car looks so much nicer.
Link to the said front lip? I've looked around to find an OEM style but it's impossible to find (at least from my small nest of resources).
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
What the captain failed to mention is that he prefers larger rims say nothing smaller than a 19' maybe a 20' like he says "Bigger is better" Right ca???
That's the sarcasm now the reality....Delete those hideous reflectors for some painted ones only $65 and make a world of dif. Good luck with the ride and I actually prefer those rims over those black things.
Do you mind sharing where I could find those for $65? I've looked on ebay, yes, ebay but the shape does not seem to match, they look like the lower/front side reflectors ont he M style body?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Suspension: what brand would you go for? You seem to have a lot of hands on experience with suspension - you got your mockery in now show me the light. Guide me under the arms of hate and witty sarcasm. Guide me to a suspension system that will give me a reason to go up north to the mountains.

Did THIS awhile back - still righteous....
Old 07-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:

So. Any takers?
OEM wheels look better, red lip is ridiculous, looks like a red vine wrapped around the lip.

Suspension mod and budget the rest for driving school and maintenance.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Did THIS awhile back - still righteous....
I'm going to keep bothering you.

Any pictures of ride height/set before/after those mods?

Very noticeable driving upgrade?

Is it logical to do a suspension upgrade on a car with the sport suspension already added?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
OEM wheels look better, red lip is ridiculous, looks like a red vine wrapped around the lip.

LOL. *shrugs* Maybe I needed to hear that.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I'm going to keep bothering you.

Any pictures of ride height/set before/after those mods?

Very noticeable driving upgrade?

Is it logical to do a suspension upgrade on a car with the sport suspension already added?

No - don't care about gap. Performance is the goal.

Major, night 'n' day upgrade. Amazing grip. Apparently M div does good things.

I had sport sus.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 AM
New Guy

Quote:
No - don't care about gap. Performance is the goal.

Major, night 'n' day upgrade. Amazing grip. Apparently M div does good things.

I had sport sus.
Excellent. Thank you.

That solidifies my confidence in this upgrade. I've been looking around, it looks like on a conservative level, I can expect to save around 2-4K on suspension.

Did you touch brakes at all? I was thinking about upgrading those as well. More so for my own reason rather than practical stopping distance (assuming I wouldn't /need/ such stopping power unless I boosted the engine). But I'm assuming and I am an ass.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Did you touch brakes at all?

I R&R'd no brake parts - stock brakes pretty good + don't track. My ride was set up for back road barnstormin' and if I was to change anything, I'd go with higher rate springs.

But since I broke a brake line to drop the rear subframe, I bled all corners w/blue. No worries before or after....
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM
New Guy

Quote:
I R&R'd no brake parts - stock brakes pretty good + don't track. My ride was set up for back road barnstormin' and if I was to change anything, I'd go with higher rate springs.

But since I broke a brake line to drop the rear subframe, I bled all corners w/blue. No worries before or after....
Can I just fly you out here to help me? What's your hourly rate?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:

So. Any takers?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post

"When you can't run, you crawl... and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

|AE Performance CBE|AR Design DPs|CF GTR Vented Hood|Cobb AP V2|SP Lowering Perches (F)|M3 FCAs|VRSF 5" FMIC|
|BMS DCI|Niche Targa M129 18x8/18x9.5|BMS Spacers 10mm/15mm|BP Drilled/Slotted Rotors|BP Ceramic Pads|
|Forge DVs|CP-e Upper CP|VRSF Lower CP|BMS Cowl Delete|MR Front Strut Bar|BMS OCC|Custom CA License Plate|
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335IoTwnTrbos View Post
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Quote:

Old 07-25-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Do you mind sharing where I could find those for $65? I've looked on ebay, yes, ebay but the shape does not seem to match, they look like the lower/front side reflectors ont he M style body?
Mod Bargains plus they are oem...can't beat the fitment had em on my 2010 and planning to order again by the end of the month. Beware of Bimmian for fit issues.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM
New Guy

Quote:
Mod Bargains plus they are oem...can't beat the fitment had em on my 2010 and planning to order again by the end of the month. Beware of Bimmian for fit issues.
The only thing I could find was this: http://www.modbargains.com/OEM_Paint...9X_3Series.htm

But that's for the lower bumper; not near fender. Did I miss something? Thanks for the help

Edit: My bad: http://www.modbargains.com/Body_Colo...92_3Series.htm

Thanks! I'm going to fiddle around and see how much I can find Nice share

Edit 2: ORDERED.

Last edited by e92josh; 07-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
The only thing I could find was this: http://www.modbargains.com/OEM_Paint...9X_3Series.htm

But that's for the lower bumper; not near fender. Did I miss something? Thanks for the help

Edit: My bad: http://www.modbargains.com/Body_Colo...92_3Series.htm

Thanks! I'm going to fiddle around and see how much I can find Nice share

Edit 2: ORDERED.
Got em?? Originals were M3 covers but see you're now on the right page. Very small mod that pays big dividends,Use an old credit card or better yet one of those pre paid jobbers and should take 10 minutes a side but all means do not use a screw driver like some folks as one slip could puncture.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM
New Guy

Quote:
Got em?? Originals were M3 covers but see you're now on the right page. Very small mod that pays big dividends,Use an old credit card or better yet one of those pre paid jobbers and should take 10 minutes a side but all means do not use a screw driver like some folks as one slip could puncture.
Excellent heads up. You are a good man.

I'll probably end up doing what I did when I had to do my laundry for the firs time - hit up youtube. Being an idiot pays off with some good search experience.

Now I'm honestly trying to decide - maybe you can help. Do I consider 19" (looks good from my searches) or stay with 18"? Is there a major draw back or compromise is handling?

Part 2: If I were to upgrade my suspension and a slight drop, should I do that first or the wheel upgrade/choice first? That's my next direction and crossroad.