Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 AM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
What is the "Real Reason for the Run Flat's"

Does any one really know why BMW puts these tire's on all their cars- most of them!
Here is my 2-cents- Just like everything in this world it's about "Money"
1) They don't provide a jack,lug wrench,spare tire. ($400.00) Rough guess
2) Every step on the assembly line is a potential mistake,so by eliminating these steps it saves BMW time which = "Money"
3)BMW sells a lot of cars based upon a maintenance free experience, hence "Road side assistance" What is the percentage of calls to Road side assistance? I would have to say more flat tire's then mechanical. So if you eliminate the flat tire issue,look at the amount of "Money saved"
Some other ?'s
1) If these tires are so "GREAT and Wonderful" why don't other car manufactures use them?
2) BMW told me that the rough ride was with the older cars because the suspension wasn't set up for them, But now the have the suspension dialed in and it is no longer an issue!!
3) My 2012 128 has RFT and is everything that people complain about " Teeth Jarring over expansion joints,cracks,bumps." I complained to dealer and they told me it was the "M Sport Suspension"
4)Will BMW assist charge you if they come to fix a flat tire and they see you have installed a Non RFT? I'd be curious to know.
Bottom line- I think buying new tires in the beginning and then putting the original RFT's back on when sold or returned is the way to go, as long as BMW Roadside Assistance will still help if you get a flat. Especially if it is a lease return.(Sorry for the long post-Too much coffee!! Michelin PSS on order.
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Free roadside assistance still applies even if you have non-RFTs. Another reason for the RFT's is weight. It allows the car to be lighter and helps them maintain the desired 50/50 front to back weight ratio. Over the last 5 years, the ride quality of the RFT's has definitely improved, but I am not sure if its the suspension or the tires. If you really don't like RFT's and you are leasing with a strong probability to turn the car in at lease end, the idea of buying some non-RFT's and then putting the RFT's back on before turn-in is sound.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda Miata (don't laugh)
The fact that the RFT removes the option of the driver changing a flat tire is consistent with other trends, such as no dipstick, ABS brakes, traction control, GPS, dual clutch automatic gearboxes, automatic parking, etc. How long until Google has their way and we no longer even drive the cars?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
On the Z4, another issue is space. Where would you put the spare?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Room could be made for a space-saver spare if the market demanded it.

real reasons for RFTs:

1) Cost savings as noted above (jack. lug wrench, spare)

2) weight savings: may help CAFE ratings (However, acceleration is adversely affected by the heavier tires)

3) packaging considerations... access to spare, spare tire well placement.

marketing reasons:

1) maintain 50/50 weight distribution

2) We are BMW, consumers will believe anything we say.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 30i
I considered swapping out my RFT's but not sure how that would affect the TPMS. Pretty sure the computer would have a panic attack. I personally don't care for them. I also have the M suspension package and the road noise is horrible.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownchowdown View Post
On the Z4, another issue is space. Where would you put the spare?
My '93 RX-7 had a doughnut the Z4 could be fitted.

The "M" cars don't come with RFT's and have the inflation kit same could be done with the Z4.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfan View Post
I considered swapping out my RFT's but not sure how that would affect the TPMS. Pretty sure the computer would have a panic attack. I personally don't care for them. I also have the M suspension package and the road noise is horrible.
Actually, switching from RFTs to non-RFTs does not affect the TPMS. I have made the change to non-RFTs on several vehicles and it only required a reset after the tires were mounted using the same sensors.
2014 335i xDrive GT Alpine White
2015 X3 xDrive 35i Melbourne Red
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange (on order)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativeit View Post
Actually, switching from RFTs to non-RFTs does not affect the TPMS. I have made the change to non-RFTs on several vehicles and it only required a reset after the tires were mounted using the same sensors.
Good to know!