Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Porsche and BMW guru

Mein Auto: AH 3 & Countryman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I agree it'll be good for the brand, but you also can't deny it dilutes the impact of it if the guy that buys the empty x1 has m-badges all over. Also Steve on most of the packages the M stuff is all badging and naming ... It really does nothing for performance which is what I tend to have a gripe with. If for instance each car had a 5-10k M package option that also added some performance related upgrades (lIke the m-package on the 2011 550i that also had DHP) I'd say ok its actually doing something, instead its kind of being in on the fad without actually having to go all in.

It may sound elitist and I'm trying to keeping people out or feeling superior but it would just bug me if some guy at the water cooler goes "Meh I drove an x1 msport and it sucked don't see why anyone would buy an M that thing handled like crap"
Well I would argue that a better steering wheel and sports seats in the case of the some of these cars (X1, X3, etc) are indeed a "performance upgrade" though not from a speed stand point. Whether it's an illusion or not, the car does handle better and you have more control over the car and yourself in these cases. And the suspension upgrades in some of the models also helps (like in the F30). There is certainly a performance and handling difference with those cars. Is it a bit silly to buy an X1 M Sport line for a more aggressive look, sport seats, and a better wheel? Probably. Does it take away from true M cars? Not really. And cohesive brand marketing wins for BMW from a sales perspective when you consider you have normal cars, normal cars + M Sport line/package, M235i type cars, and then the M division cars. It provides stratified differences while maintaining their image of M division cars being the ultimate goal for true enthusiasts to attain. It won't change people wanting to pretend they have M cars and it might muddy the waters a bit. But, boy racers who like to false badge and trump up cars will always do so. And as it was so elegantly put, "pop your hood and show me your M car." That's all that needs to be said.

I do like the performance upgrades in the likes of the M235i and the M435i since they are going to mirror and tweak what they did with the "is" line of cars. I think that may be the smartest change they've made and Mo and I have argued such for awhile now (both dilution of brand and departure from the "is" line). The "is" brand never caught on and they will gain more traction as an M235i etc. I'm also excited to see things such as the reports that the M235i is faster around the 'Ring than the 1M.

But I know we all agree, as long as the M division keeps cranking out masterpieces, everyone wins.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Ode to the e9x M3

As long as BMW can resist the urge to mess with the new m3/m4 I will be happy. I have given up on the regular F30 and F10 as being a failure from an enthusiast standpoint. I have high hopes for the F82 given how well the m6 came out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

Ode to the e9x M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
As long as BMW can resist the urge to mess with the new m3/m4 I will be happy. I have given up on the regular F30 and F10 as being a failure from an enthusiast standpoint. I have high hopes for the F82 given how well the m6 came out.

I like the F30 but the F10 is definitely different and has evolved to maximize sales. Meaning it has lost it's teeth. I have my fingers crossed regarding the Ms

Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

For those of you opinionated folks, I dropped a thread in the M F8x forum asking for pro/con manual arguments. I am working on an article for my site about the announcement that "supposedly" the next M3/4 will be without a manual option.

I doubt it's true and Bimmerpost refuted it but I want to start an interesting discussion. All views will be attributed to you and I'm happy to share your own websites or social media profiles if you would like.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Ode to the e9x M3

There are VIN with manual transmissions. How do you go against that? Maybe they are for US only?

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)