Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Don't Have A Collision

Trgg3er, thanks for the sympathetic thoughts. I was alone on my GT which was the only '"loved one" that was "hurt". I never felt a thing and have had no after-effects. My GT took the hit as well as could be expected.

Today I learned that next week they will remove the door and rear quarter panel to do the necessary work (inners and front door) prior to the replacements being installed - the quarter panel is welded on. I hope to have it back not later than Canadian Thanksgiving Day (Columbus Day in the US) but there is no guarantee.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Don't Have A Collision

Just found out that the new door an quarter panel have arrived! The second set of suspension parts are still to come.

Getting closer to the end. Today marks three months to the day that the accident occurred.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
This is a TERRIBLE long time. I think record holder in waiting of spare parts. Good luck and hopefully they are quick now.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Don't Have A Collision

Fred,

It may be a record but I have resigned myself to waiting since there is little I can do. I also want it done correctly so I am happy that the work is being done by a BMW Collision Centre. I am planning a trip for the Canadian Thanksgiving Day weekend (mid-October) and hope to have it by then.If I get it before then, so much the better.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Fish,

Since we just took ownership of ours and due to my experience with our local Audi dealership I second your sentiments and my exact words to my service advisor was, "I'd rather be without the vehicle for an extra day or two rather than have to bring it back for the same concern."

Of course then I became a hypocrite as I told them I needed the car so now I've lost credibility, lol!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM

Don't Have A Collision

Good news! All the needed parts from Germany are here in Ottawa. It shouldn't be long now but I do not have a date yet but at this point I want it done right not fast.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Beemer novice

Mein Auto: 2013 535i GT
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Good to hear!! Hopefully soon!
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Oak, thanks. A major part of my 'coping mechanism' through all of this has been this F07 forum. I have appreciated the expressions of support as well as the posts of all those who
so enjoy their GT by putting their feelings into words thus reminding me to
hang in there as the wait will ultimately be worth it. Thank you all.
Next post will be when I take her back and include an 'after' picture to contrast
with the one when I started this thread.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM
There is no spoon

Great news! We just took ours to the local pharmacy and back (first time since our trip)...I'm guessing u will feel like new royalty when u get it back, I just want to take it everywhere but not put any miles on it (oh the trials and tribulations we have, huh?!).
Hope you get it back very soon and have no further issues with yours fish!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: X3, Mini Cooper S
Spare Parts Delay

On July 15th I smashed my X3 into a small van while vacationing in Italy.

The bonnet, windscreen, front superior chassis, radiator where out of use, not the bumper, neither headlights.

Actually I was driving very slowly, the airbags did not open and we just noticed a slight stopping movement apart from the loud bang !

BMW assisted me very effectively, the car was repatriated in Switzerland and my dealer received it on July 25.
On the 26 the damage was assessed with the insurance expert and all needed spare parts ordered.

After a couple of telephone calls to find out the date of delivery of my car, my local dealer called me on August 14 to inform me that that it was impossible for them to give me a date and they were willing to lend a car while waiting for the job to be done.
They did not dare to say if it would take a week, two weeks, a month or more: they admitted that one of their clients was waiting since two months !

I picked up a 116i: nice but a cow !

Actually the problem is that a 30cms long piece of chassis on which there is an engraved number must be fabricated on purpose and it is the only one missing because all other parts are already at the dealer shop.

And I am still waiting now !

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...are-parts.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	395263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	395264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	395265  
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Beemer novice

Don't Have A Collision

Man, I shouldn't return to this thread. And I shouldn't have read the Bloomberg article. Thanks a lot, Bemm! Lol, just kidding man, good article. Now I'm just paranoid about my Bimmer even getting a hangnail and being out of commission until 2014... o_O

Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM

Talking

Take it easy, you will have a nice Christmas present:

they shall return your BMW !
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Beemer novice

Don't Have A Collision

No, no man, don't jinx me. My GT is perfectly fine now. I don't want a repaired Bimmer for Xmas!! Haha. I think I'm just gonna park her in the garage until BMW fixes the stupid "ATLAST my part came in!" system... Doh!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
It's interesting, that if a part of the frame needs replacement, and it has a VIN engraved in it, they essentially have to make it to order, rather than take one off the shelf. It appears they are only made once ordered for a specific vehicle, whether that is for the new production, or repair. Luckily, or not, depending on your point of view from theft standpoint, not that many parts actually are engraved with the VIN are could be (whether they are or not is another issue) readily available.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM

As far as I understand the distribution of all new parts, out of the shelf or fabricated on demand have to go through the centralized system which is giving so many headaches.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1gg3r View Post
No, no man, don't jinx me. My GT is perfectly fine now. I don't want a repaired Bimmer for Xmas!! Haha. I think I'm just gonna park her in the garage until BMW fixes the stupid "ATLAST my part came in!" system... Doh!

Too funny! My wife keeps asking when she is going to be allowed to drive the GT as she has logged a total of 5 hrs driving time (all on our Colorado trip) since receipt Aug 9. Lol, this is just another good reason to baby it and let it hibernate in the garage for a while ;-)

Fortunately it is currently with the dealer to take care of a few things (never would have thought I would say THAT in my life!)
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Angry

It is interesting that they are minimizing the problem and laud:
"A couple of managers traveled from Munich to Dingolfing on a Saturday in July voluntarily to help employees fill the central warehouse" !

For sure we do not know exactly the extent of the problem, not all BMW drivers read and write in Forums and this is happening also in the summer when most people leave on vacation by plane.

The major problem for BMW will be to avoid loosing old clients that shall in the future look around to other makes as Audis, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche and Range Rover: not too bad as competitors !

In my family we drive 2 BMWs, and 2 Minis !
My Bmw is my fifth !

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2enydqxkw
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemm View Post
It is interesting that they are minimizing the problem and laud:
"A couple of managers traveled from Munich to Dingolfing on a Saturday in July voluntarily to help employees fill the central warehouse" !

For sure we do not know exactly the extent of the problem, not all BMW drivers read and write in Forums and this is happening also in the summer when most people leave on vacation by plane.

The major problem for BMW will be to avoid loosing old clients that shall in the future look around to other makes as Audis, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche and Range Rover: not too bad as competitors !

In my family we drive 2 BMWs, and 2 Minis !
My Bmw is my fifth !

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2enydqxkw
BMW, Audi, Mercedes in that order

Porsche

Range Rover, Jaguar in that order -> and no Europeaner (except the Brits) are buying those cars very much. At least not Germans and BMW does not realy lose customers over that brand.

Audi, Mercedes. Yes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM
There is no spoon

For me I'm doubtful I will leave BMW and know I will never buy another Audi...the wife scoffed when i suggested we x-shop a MB wagon vs the GT so call us snooty but BMW is our dealer (ironic as it almost is a drug addiction, lol). IMO Audi is near luxury, perhaps it's because we have an A4, doubtful based on some of the service mgr's comments, but one of my worst purchases and combine that with the quality of service experience received = tarnished vehicle. I try to remind myself we are fortunate to have such a nice car, but it's just that....a car, a mere inanimate object. Perhaps I would like it more if it was a Quattro, who knows.

And I say near luxury due to a number of small misses that add up: steering that chatters at low speed turns (some nonsense about insufficient sized hose for power steering- replaced only to return 1 yr later), electromechanical parking brake that has a harsh start like its dropping into gear, an engine that is in "spec" when guzzling a quart of oil every 1000 miles (allegedly when first brought to dealer attention). In the end I should have done more research on the car so it's my fault, but one I will not repeat.

Anyway, enough of a thread digression, get Fish's GT back BMW!!! I don't want to contemplate the competition as my next vehicle purchase. ;-)
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 AM

Don't Have A Collision

Daders,

Thanks for the exhortation. My GT went in for prep and painting this past week. It still needs the second set of the suspension parts installed at the dealer. I hope to have it not later than 09 Oct as I have a trip planned to Washington, DC
the next day.

Bemm,

Thanks so much for the link to the article that comfirms what the problem was and that I was not alone just the victim of bad timing.

Having been a software manager in one of my past lives, I suspect IBM and SAP did not deliver on their promised implementation timeline and BMW (as well as owners loke me) were caught out. While I can understand how that can happen, the lack of information from BMW to owners, dealers, etc about the problem is puzzling though I bet its lawyers prevented BMW from telling the truth lest it poison the contractual relationship and be accused of corprorate slander. The finger-pointing can get ugly very quickly especially among three corporate giants like these companies are.

The admission by BMW no doubt was to stem any more adverse publicity that might adversely affect the decisions of potential BMW buyers. I think that it may be too late in many cases. Many here who have followed my saga have indicated that my experience has steered them away from considering a BMW in future. Once again it isn't so much that there was a problem but moreso how it was handled.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Hi !

After exactly two months and five days, she's back !

Looks like the day I took delivery of her when new !

The local dealer told me that BMW is planning to make a gesture for this inconvenience!

We shall see, because I cannot figure out what sort of gesture can they offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	399798  
Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Bemm,

Congratulations. I envy you. I still don't have mine though the painting and body work has all been done. (I had asked for my mud flaps to be painted at my expense since it was in anyway and they threw that in for free as the "least they could do").

It is in for the final suspension work now. I asked that I get it back not later than 09 Oct as I am planning a trip to the Washington, DC area starting the next day. As of tomorrow, it will be exactly 19 weeks since I had my accident, the entire summer and then some, though I am angrier at the bozo lady lawyer who hit me since had she waited another second I would have been by her and, though she would have come close, she would have missed me.

I too wonder what consideration they will provide and also compensate dealers/body shops that provided loaners for extended periods of time. Today I have to turn in my loaner as it has been sold and I will get a replacement vehicle. Sigh.......
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Hope for you that the schedule will be respected !

Lets cross fingers !
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
bmw moved to a new sap inventory setup and it totally failed, even reported on bloomberg