Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
If you have the MASK version in your car currently, the little cubby thing under the CD slot has got to go..

If you look closely on the CIC trim piece I posted ealrier, you'll see it is only the top half. The bottom half is a separate piece that you'll need.

I happened to have a CCC trim piece from my previous expedition of a CCC retrofit, and we can use the bottom half of that here... pictures:

Here's the CCC trim in it's original form

Here's where the two halves snap together.. luckily the new version doesn't use the snaps, so you can break these if you need to to get it apart.. I broke a few

Another picture.. One tab snapped on the first try

One more

Separated.. I only snapped almost every one of them, oops

Old top half vs. new top half

New version top + old CCC lower

Here's how they go in the car

And another view

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Grn Bmr View Post
Subscribed! Excellent detailed DIY so far
Thanks.. hopefully the rest goes well
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Seriously, thi has got to be one of the most detailed DIYs ever. Nice work.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Seriously, thi has got to be one of the most detailed DIYs ever. Nice work.
Thanks.. I think, lol
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
DIY'er

Got it all in. I am having some issues coding it though. When changing FA/VO on CAS everything went fine. LMA wouldn't take it though.

It keeps saying "der codier index folgender steuergerate ist fur diesen codier auftrag nicht zulassig" Under that it says "LMA 14". I THINK the LMA software is too old.. but I'm really not sure. I'm afraid to mess much more until I get a power supply.. my battery has to be hating me by now.

I THINK this has something to do with some of the car having some old as heck software, but I'm not sure

Has anyone seen this error before??

I get the same when I try to just do a read on the CIC (it shows up in the module list)

I still have the emulator installed so I'm not sure if that is blocking something/causing issues?

edit: BUNCH of pictures below. Will explain them later.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-04-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM
DIY'er

That is the HVAC controls from behind. You have to remove this from the plastic housing that it's in

Just push down the tabs and pop it out

Old screen coming out. Just remove the two screws and disconnect two wires on the back

Old video cable

Old power connector

holes in the dash..

You have to replace this connector with a new model. Push in this tab to pull out the housing the wires are actually connected to

This one..

Push in on the little metal clip things and the pins will slide out. They get caught in a second place, so you may have to do this twice to each one

tada!

How the new one is wired..

done

Wires in..

Not sure what this is

Next was to route the wire for the USB port and the video signal wire for the display. I tried to use a coat hanger and it failed miserably.

More fail

Fail

At this point I realized I needed to just pull the glovebox off to give myself some room.. I pulled the whole box off (note just the cover) which gives plenty of room.

Glovebox out of the way.. wire being ran. USUALLY the wire going to your USB port will not be purple. I hacked up a purple one since it wasn't on back order, just to see if it would work

wires being routed

This is on the CIC side.. wires coming through

Glovebox back on

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Comments
Old 08-04-2013, 05:10 PM
DIY'er

Here's about where I left the USB for now

Routed

Next was the video wire.. this one wasn't much fun either. The factory one for the MASK system was routed towards the drivers side. I routed this one towards the passenger side in much the same way as the USB port cable went

Finally

Not sure..

Display going in..

Connections

Another

yay.

Hooking up the emulator

Here I spliced into the CCC fan harness to power the emulator. THIS DID NOT WORK!! DO NOT DO THIS. Tap in to the main power wires (the big red/brown ones) on the CIC harness

All connected (the first time..)

Trying to get everything to fit..

CIC in for first test.. and NOTHING worked. Well, the lights would come on on the CIC, but that was it. So, it all came back out. I swapped everything back over to the MASK system, and that one turned right on. Then I re-intalled the CIC without the emulator. This time it came right up! Navigation was greyed out though as expected.

At this point I had wired emulator power wires to the main CIC power wires and hooked everything up. It came right up!

Pulling it back out to finish hooking up GPS, etc.

Here's how the emulator is wired

More

It'll fit somehow!

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Comments
Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM
DIY'er

It all fit eventually, somehow.. the emulator box can go kind of towards the back, down, left directions (towards front of car/driver side)

Going back in.. notice gap around HVAC buttons. Not bad, but can see it if you're looking for it

One more.. almost done!

One more

And another apparently

Wood going on

Hazard button wire

Going in

Two screws at top of screen.. same as the old one

Another

All hooked up

And wood back on

Here's where things got interested.. I went to code the FA on the CAS and everything went fine. Did the same on LMA and it gave me an error and wouldn't write_fa

LMA error.. I think the daten files I'm using are too old. Downloading new ones now

In tools 32, if you open the file CICR, somewhere in there you will see c_fg_lesen. Double click this (lesen means read, so you can more or less click on those without too much worry). This will give you the last 7 of the VIN the CIC came out of. You need this to order the FSC code for map updates. C248467 in my case.

Here I'm just messing in tools 32.

Here I tried to just read the CIC.. and get this error. Gah

The good news: Everything works EXCEPT sound. lol. My old idrive controller works fine, etc. Just no sound.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 AM
DIY'er

Updated comments for all the pictures for anyone following along.

In short, everything works physically but I haven't finished the coding yet. I'm having an issue getting the LMA to accept the new FA/VO. Without that, I can't code the CIC.

And without that, I have no sound since the donor car must have not had logic7. My original idrive controller works fine, screen works, bluetooth phone syncs, etc. etc.

I think the daten files I'm using on NCS expert are too old. That, or the LMA module has the original software from the factory and it's too old to even believe that an 0909 production date is possible, lol.

Not sure yet..

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM
DIY'er

IT WORKS!!

A friend gave me a copy of the v49 datens.. I updated NCS Expert to this and tried again. LMA still wouldn't take FA_WRITE, so I said screw it and tried to code the CIC anyways. First try, I was able to access it and reset it back to defaults (it uses FA/VO to determine what the "defaults" are if you just hit execute job before you do read ECU). My sound came right on!

I have an SOS error now, but I think I have the solution for that.

Hopefully I didn't post too many pictures.. if anyone has any questions please PM me or post them here. I know a lot more about this now this than I've ever read online.

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Car
Very interesting, i dont think you posted too many pictures, with todays internet speeds it only takes a couple seconds to load them.
I would like to see picture of the current interface etc.
Keep up the great work, you are taking this to the next level.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Subscribing
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Very interesting, i dont think you posted too many pictures, with todays internet speeds it only takes a couple seconds to load them.
I would like to see picture of the current interface etc.
Keep up the great work, you are taking this to the next level.
Here are some pictures.. it's beautiful in person. I was driving towards the sun this morning so it kind of looked grainy in the pictures, but it's great in person. Screen is twice the resolution of the old CCC screens (and a whole lot more than the MASK!)

Note that I'm NOT in London.. I haven't hooked up the aftermarket GPS antenna yet. The "CCC PREP" option put a wire in the dash for a GPS antenna, so I was HOPING that would actually be hooked up and working, but apparently I didn't get that lucky. It's just using a gyro sensor to try to point me in the right direction, but it's on the wrong continent at the moment, lol

I am also going to have the plastic bezel that goes around the climate control and the one that goes around the DSC/seat heater buttons re-painted to be the same color. The bottom one looks almost grey compared to the top. May do that today actually

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-06-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Did you get a unit with Bluetooth streaming A2DP or do they come like that and must be coded?
Also check control seems as if it would be weird, there is no issue there right, all the items are still on the same interval yes?
Also, does HVAC control in CIC work well with the old unit? From the pic it looks like you still have the older HVAC with the rest button, I thought I read somewhere the newer unit had to be installed with the CIC for it to work correctly.
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Did you get a unit with Bluetooth streaming A2DP or do they come like that and must be coded?
Also check control seems as if it would be weird, there is no issue there right, all the items are still on the same interval yes?
Also, does HVAC control in CIC work well with the old unit? From the pic it looks like you still have the older HVAC with the rest button, I thought I read somewhere the newer unit had to be installed with the CIC for it to work correctly.
Thanks.
For A2DP you have to use a "combox" which is comparable to the old TCU's, kind of. That's where you really get all the cool stuff.. stuff like true ipod connectivity with album covers, you can tether with some phones and get online right there on the idrive scren, text messaging, office, etc. It's pretty cool... and probably my next mod once I replenish the ol mod piggy bank. CIC without it is only half the story . The actual combox box is less than $300 brand new.. but there is some re-wiring and coding to make it work. It doesn't look too bad, I just haven't found a really good write up on it that says do X,Y,Z and it'll work. It's all people saying "I tried a and b, and this and this work, but this doesn't, so I changed this, now this works, but this doesn't, then I did this and now everything works". Which obviously gets hard to follow.

Yeah I still have the old climate control system. I haven't had any issues with it. I don't have as much control over each vent (or maybe I do and just don't know how to use it yet..). In the old system I could set output basically for driver and passenger footwell/upper area and defroster. It seems that now it's adjusting the ratios automatically. I still have control over the fan, overall temperature and temperature for the vents in the face just fine.. so yeah, it's worked just fine for me. I don't feel like I lost anything. I have read several people saying you need to install the new climate controls, but besides the gap I really don't see why. Everything works fine. Now, that was NOT the case prior to coding. I originally could only turn the vent temp to hot or cold..nothing in between.

On the "check controls" menu everything is the same.. same messages, etc. Just in a different place obviously since all the menus are different. All the oil change intervals, etc. are exactly the same as before (same stuff, different looking menus of course that is)

It's all much more plug and play than I thought it would be. I really have only had NCS Expert set everything back to defaults based on the VO.. I haven't actually done any "real" coding to change anything

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-06-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 AM
DIY'er

Also, one more thing.

On the "European" CIC's (which is what basically everyone is using) there are 8 preset buttons. On the US version there are 6 preset buttons + a mode button + an AM/FM button.

Originally the 8 preset buttons on mine were acting like preset buttons.. after coding last night, the last two are acting like mode and am/fm buttons. Not sure if I like that or not, lol. Just a small quirk I suppose, but I'm sure it's fixable

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

This is great work Bro. I am glad that, since I have an LCI, there are several steps I can skip - like my center console is already the same as the CIC one and the LCI IDrive controller works with CIC.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I don't know if you guys are aware but if you are still under warranty and go in for a dealer update, you need to install the CCC back into your car.

You car cannot be updated with an unofficial CIC retrofit.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 05 545
schpenxel's car is beyond warranty by now, great work
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost7 View Post
Hahahaha and he does almost everything by himself.
Still a good observation for people with extended warranties etc.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
This is great work Bro. I am glad that, since I have an LCI, there are several steps I can skip - like my center console is already the same as the CIC one and the LCI IDrive controller works with CIC.
The old iDrive controller works with CIC also, just an FYI.. I am using my old one still. I have a new one to install, but I think I'm going to buy a used center console part instead of hacking up the original. At least then I can work on it slowly while still having the car together, then can put it together quickly one weekend. I'd just buy the wood part.. not the whole center console

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I don't know if you guys are aware but if you are still under warranty and go in for a dealer update, you need to install the CCC back into your car.

You car cannot be updated with an unofficial CIC retrofit.
That is true.. I'm at 202K miles though, and have had most of this car apart at one point or another, soo doesn't quite apply to me . I have an ICOM system actually, so I am curious how it will react if I try to hook it up with the CIC system still in there.. Guess we shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost7 View Post
Thanks! And yeah, juuuuust a little bit, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Hahahaha and he does almost everything by himself.
Still a good observation for people with extended warranties etc.
It's a pretty easy swap to get it switched back around. Longest part is just switching the display power wires back to the old style connector. It could be done in under 15 minutes no problem

edit: I also am going to make some changes to the first post.. ECS tuning has the USB cables back in stock now

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Schpenxel ,, well done bro. Excellent write up and detail...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
The old iDrive controller works with CIC also, just an FYI.. I am using my old one still. I have a new one to install, but I think I'm going to buy a used center console part instead of hacking up the original. At least then I can work on it slowly while still having the car together, then can put it together quickly one weekend. I'd just buy the wood part.. not the whole center console
Yeah, believe it or not I prefer the non CIC controller. I like the fewer buttons, the less dash clutter the better IMHO. So when I do mine I will ahve to be convinced to get the new controller and add all those buttons to my interior. LOL, as a detailer, the less to clean the better

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
good job once again! Upgrade from the old MASK should be a very enjoyable experience.
My wife has 09 550i with ccc navi and I have 10 550i with cic. I wish my wife's car had usb adapter though. I do like the Aux input placement in her car (on the back of the center console). I did notice one strange thing, the full scale analog input is less than 1V for the aux adc. If I set the volume to a max on my phone it will have a slight clipping (distorted audio). I need to drop it 2 steps down. I haven't tested aux on my car yet. I have no idea how much it will cost to source 6FL option (usb adapter). CIC is great but to me the updated control is the best bang for the buck which 09 came with.
I did connect 1tb usb hdd to my cic unit. It works but possibly not getting enough power. Sometimes it will stop the playback but will resume shortly. I can also hear the clicking noise when heads are being parked. I should be able to fix that with cigarette lighter adapter. Need to test drive this theory. Combox would be nice, but it doesn't support album art from usb drive. A2DP is great but I don't stream that much. Aux would offer better quality with decent phone as A2DP bluetooth is likely quite old and won't support APT-X lossless codec. I don't like the ipod idea as it requires additional digital to analog and analog to digital conversion making it less desirable than usb flash drive or built-in storage. Perhaps for some album art is a must have though. I also wonder if there is an audible clipping when using iPod line out with bmw cable.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Yeah, believe it or not I prefer the non CIC controller. I like the fewer buttons, the less dash clutter the better IMHO. So when I do mine I will ahve to be convinced to get the new controller and add all those buttons to my interior. LOL, as a detailer, the less to clean the better
I could see that.. def. makes it easier to clean! My original idrive knob is pretty worn out though, so the new one should look a lot better for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
good job once again! Upgrade from the old MASK should be a very enjoyable experience.
My wife has 09 550i with ccc navi and I have 10 550i with cic. I wish my wife's car had usb adapter though. I do like the Aux input placement in her car (on the back of the center console). I did notice one strange thing, the full scale analog input is less than 1V for the aux adc. If I set the volume to a max on my phone it will have a slight clipping (distorted audio). I need to drop it 2 steps down. I haven't tested aux on my car yet. I have no idea how much it will cost to source 6FL option (usb adapter). CIC is great but to me the updated control is the best bang for the buck which 09 came with.
I did connect 1tb usb hdd to my cic unit. It works but possibly not getting enough power. Sometimes it will stop the playback but will resume shortly. I can also hear the clicking noise when heads are being parked. I should be able to fix that with cigarette lighter adapter. Need to test drive this theory. Combox would be nice, but it doesn't support album art from usb drive. A2DP is great but I don't stream that much. Aux would offer better quality with decent phone as A2DP bluetooth is likely quite old and won't support APT-X lossless codec. I don't like the ipod idea as it requires additional digital to analog and analog to digital conversion making it less desirable than usb flash drive or built-in storage. Perhaps for some album art is a must have though. I also wonder if there is an audible clipping when using iPod line out with bmw cable.
Didn't think it'd be able to power a 1TB drive at all.. that is good to hear.

I've had some weird things happen with my aux in also. I have to turn the volume WAY up in order to hear anything, even with iphone volume all the way up as well. I dunno what's going on there