Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Towing a U-Hual X-Country

So I am getting ready to move, and I have been looking into renting a 6X12 uhual braked trailer and am wondering if my X3 is up for the task. I a stay right at the 3000-3500lb mark is this okay to do? I own mine not lease so I don't want to screw up the transmission life. Any thoughts are welcome.

P.S. - I have searched this topic a bunch and some people say go for it while others say no way. One piece of info I found interesting was that the X3 in Europe is rated for 5,000lbs which I know is a function of them having the invisihitch or what not, but I suppose this speaks to the cars actual ability to tow some decent weight?

Thanks.

Last edited by dest149; 08-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
I did 1200 miles pulling a 6x12 loaded full about a month ago. I'm not sure how much it weighed but the tongue weight couldn't have been too bad as me and my dad were able to lift it off the ground together and onto the hitch (it was tough and there was no crank on that trailer). I've got the 28i and the car pulled it great. Acceleration was plenty and the braking trailer worked. The only issues came above 75mph... the trailer swayed a lot. So it is a slow trip, but definitely works. I think I got around 18-19mpg. The 8 gears really help it on the highway, the car really didn't have to work hard at all, just had some drag and bad aerodynamics.

When you mess around on the uhaul site entering the x3, the combined towable weight (trailer and load) is 3300 for the smaller trailers, but then when you get to the 6x12 it goes up above 4400lbs. My guess is that is because of the 2 wheels on each side of the trailer that takes more of the weight.

All in all, you should be good, just don't press it above 75mph (unless you possibly get more weight on the tongue to help that out).
Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks for your response this really helped. I have a 28i as well. I am thinking about doing a DIY hitch install and getting the dealer programming done afterwords. Do you or anyone else have any thought as to whether this is a smart under taking? I will have to buy the tools to do this, but I have always thought of myself as pretty handy. Full disclosure though I have never done anything close to this.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
For sure don't take it above 75! In CA the speed limit for trailers is 55. However it is widely ignored too.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
For sure don't take it above 75! In CA the speed limit for trailers is 55. However it is widely ignored too.
I'll probably be doing 60-65. I don't know what I would do with myself if I went 55. It feels so slow.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
Thanks for your response this really helped. I have a 28i as well. I am thinking about doing a DIY hitch install and getting the dealer programming done afterwords. Do you or anyone else have any thought as to whether this is a smart under taking? I will have to buy the tools to do this, but I have always thought of myself as pretty handy. Full disclosure though I have never done anything close to this.
I've seen the DIYs for the hitch but personally I wouldn't do it. Btw, the programming took an extra 1.5 days (ended up being ~3 days for the whole install, but I don't think the dealer had much experience with it) so budget in some extra time on that just in case.

I would have considered the invisihitch had I known about it before, then you get added tow capacity. Sometimes it's just nice to keep everything OEM though.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I have done some successful trailering with the X3 2.8 pulling a large bass boat/trailer with surge brakes.

I suggest turning the X3s Vehicle stability control to OFF. I think it ovvercorrects the sway around corners or lane changes and gets the trailer into a dangerous oscillation especially at speeds above 60mph.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
I believe we may have discussed this in a previous thread on towing with the X3, but the maximum trailer weight ratings are as follows:

The vehicle itself is rated by BMW AG for towing up to 2,400 kg (about 5,300 lbs).

The particular hitch that is stocked by U.S. BMW dealers is only a Class II hitch, which maxes out at 3,500 lbs. Above that, you would be overloading the hitch itself.

As far as I know, the invisihitch is the only Class III hitch available in north america for the X3. The towing capacity of the invisihitch is 5,500 lbs. So you would be limited by the towing capacity of the vehicle, not by the hitch.

Both hitches are available with the exact same OE wiring harness.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyone789 View Post
I've seen the DIYs for the hitch but personally I wouldn't do it. Btw, the programming took an extra 1.5 days (ended up being ~3 days for the whole install, but I don't think the dealer had much experience with it) so budget in some extra time on that just in case.

I would have considered the invisihitch had I known about it before, then you get added tow capacity. Sometimes it's just nice to keep everything OEM though.
Your dealer definitely didn't know what they were doing. I waited at the dealer while they installed my oem hitch and did the programming. The whole process was done in 4 hours.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
Your dealer definitely didn't know what they were doing. I waited at the dealer while they installed my oem hitch and did the programming. The whole process was done in 4 hours.
Colson has a 2012.

The OEM install, parts list and procedure has since changed and is a bit more involved on a 2014 X3..

Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
Colson has a 2012.

The OEM install, parts list and procedure has since changed and is a bit more involved on a 2014 X3..
Doubt it, the X3 really hasn't changed in 2 model years, plus even in 2012 when my hitch was installed there were a lot of post on these forums about 3 day hitch installs.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM

The design of the X3 itself did not change, but the build did according to my dealer.....parts of harness necessary for the trailer lightiing electronics no longer are included from the factory and must be installled now at the dealership. I have a copy of the entire OEM hitch install.

Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
If I was to tow a load in my X3 (or any automatic transmission car) I would want to monitor transmission temperature. Everything else like maximum towed mass (weight), max speed, etc. are just indirect considerations whereas I believe temperature is the real limiting parameter.

A readily available device such as the ScanGauge product will probably display transmission temp plus much more.

My guess is that the automatic transmissions in consumer products, like the X3, are not really intended for towing without running them with little or no design margin. The X3 is certainly not a truck and really not much more than a top heavy luxury car with some consequential cargo space in the back. Even if BMW states it can tow some specified weight I would be very skeptical about its ability to indeed tow that weight for any consequential period without taking some life out of the transmission. I would be especially concerned on hot days, up grades, and extended periods in heavy traffic.

Last edited by RhoXS; 08-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.