Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i E90
Best way to replace angel eye bulb?

A pair of my '09 328i E90's angel eyes are burnt out. I bought a replacement bulb from the dealer.

They said I can replace it by going under the wheel well or by opening some flap above the headlight when opening the hood.

Would the latter be easier? I'm afraid of screwing something up if I were to jack up the car, take the wheel off and go through there.

Any help is appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
How's your back? Open up the hood (not the tire method), and feel around for a long plastic cap, pop that sucker off (lift up), then feel around for two screes inside of that. Those two are holding in the assembly or the parking light. Pop in new one, reverse. Reason I asked about back is you're going in blind (all by touch), you'll be slumped over for at least 15-20 minutes, and it's even worse on the driver's side because you have to remove the air filter, and the crevice is blocked by wheel well. It's a pain either way.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Hmm. I'll opt for the tire method then. My back is bad, actually. I take pain meds for that.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Hey BiHoTT in NH

My e93 has a dead angel eye, drivers side. I see pics showing access from the wheel well area after liner removed. As a contrast, I popped the hood and then the triangular(?) plastic cap that exposed the guts of the headlight wiring. One of the bulb holders look like angel eyes depicted in other blogs. What is the correct access procedure?
Mikey
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post
My e93 has a dead angel eye, drivers side. I see pics showing access from the wheel well area after liner removed. As a contrast, I popped the hood and then the triangular(?) plastic cap that exposed the guts of the headlight wiring. One of the bulb holders look like angel eyes depicted in other blogs. What is the correct access procedure?
Mikey
Mikey,

The access to the angel eyes for the coupe and cabrio are through the hood. For the sedan access is via the wheel well. From my experience changing out my angel eye bulbs to LEDs, the smaller your hands the better. Also, the bulbs have little metal 'ears' that need to be lined up to properly engage - very important. That being said, the original halogen bulbs are a lot easier to manuever into place than my LUX H8 V3s were. If you go the LED route, I found that once I got the bulb threaded into the reflector, using a pliers to turn it into its final seated position worked well. From what I've read, the new LUX V4s are easier to install. I've been very happy with my LUX LEDs, but I know the LED market has exploded with available options. Many options out there.

Word of advice - don't go for the cheapest solution.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM
BMW CCA

Mein Auto: 2006 330i E90
I discovered the same thing today but my passenger side. heading to the auto parts tomorrow to buy the replacement. I got a 2006 330i is it easier from the top or from the wheel well?

E90 330i
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Hey Kat of the Nordic persuasion:

Thanx for the clarification as I prefer being on top anyway. The opening over the headlight, under the plastic cap, is very small. I am thinking of placing some masking tape strips over the metal edges so my chubby arthritic hands are not bloodied.
Mikey
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post
Thanx for the clarification as I prefer being on top anyway. The opening over the headlight, under the plastic cap, is very small. I am thinking of placing some masking tape strips over the metal edges so my chubby arthritic hands are not bloodied.
Mikey
Go the pliers route. All the tape in the world won't prevent skinned knuckles. Remember, these light modules were assembled by little elves living in hollow trees in the Bavarian woods. I have small hands with long skinny fingers and my hands were all banged up by the time I finished the light bulb install.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-26-2013, 05:50 PM

Kat, Nordic

OK, first move, long needle-nose pliers, engage socket and turn counter-clockwise?
Mikey
Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Re: Best way to replace angel eye bulb?

I decided I'm going to go through the wheel well instead of trying under the hood. Will do it tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it goes without incident.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using BimmerApp mobile app

2009 BMW 328i E90 - Alpine White, beige leather interior.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Oh man what a pain installing my LED angel eyes were. 2007 e90 btw.

Eventually I had to take off each front wheel, underbody tray and wheel well liner just to have enough room to get these suckers in.

Now, I'm probably an extreme case, but that's what I ended up having to do.

Officially speaking, there's a square panel (maybe 4 inches on a side) inside the wheel well that is designed to allow access to the back of the headlights. In practice, I found it useless.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Re: Best way to replace angel eye bulb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Oh man what a pain installing my LED angel eyes were. 2007 e90 btw.

Eventually I had to take off each front wheel, underbody tray and wheel well liner just to have enough room to get these suckers in.

Now, I'm probably an extreme case, but that's what I ended up having to do.

Officially speaking, there's a square panel (maybe 4 inches on a side) inside the wheel well that is designed to allow access to the back of the headlights. In practice, I found it useless.
Oh wow. It shouldn't be that bad for me since I'm just installing regular angel eye bulbs, right?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using BimmerApp mobile app

2009 BMW 328i E90 - Alpine White, beige leather interior.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalted View Post
A pair of my '09 328i E90's angel eyes are burnt out. I bought a replacement bulb from the dealer.

They said I can replace it by going under the wheel well or by opening some flap above the headlight when opening the hood.

Would the latter be easier? I'm afraid of screwing something up if I were to jack up the car, take the wheel off and go through there.

Any help is appreciated!
do you have the halogen headlights or the xenon headlights?

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM

It turned out the dealership moved some housing around and the light works now. They were going to install it since I was already there getting my visor replaced, but now it works. That saved me $35 (they gave me a big discount on the light when I bought it).