Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Robbie

Mein Auto: 325i
Vibration on acceleration

Guys...forgive me..I did a search on vibration, but didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I have a 2002 325I with 200K..A few months ago, I noticed a slight vibration upon acceleration. It has gotten worse. I put the car on the rack today expecting to find a Ujoint problem. The big rubber busing on the front of the shaft looked good and the rear joint looked good. I pushed on them good..No noticeable play. However, I did notice that the lower CAB on the drivers side is gone, so I am going to replace the control arm in the morning. But this vibration seems to be right under the console of the car...is it possible that this thing is transferring that much vibration to the frame of the car?? I am going to look again and make sure that I don't have a broken motor/trans mount. \

Thanks in advance for the help...

Robbie
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2002 330xi
Check your center support bearing for you drive line. It's near to being right under the console I believe.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Robbie

Thanks Himlur...is that different than the big rubber bushing at the front of the driveshaft?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himlur View Post
Check your center support bearing for you drive line. It's near to being right under the console I believe.
Yep, right on. You would have had to drop the exhaust and heat shield to get at it though.

Here is a video of one that was THRASHED I replaced for a guy. The video quality sucks but gets better as it goes along so stick with it, it shows it pretty good.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Robbie

Thanks bud...Im quite sure now thats it....
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
I hope it's not a bad U-Joint.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Robbie

Thanks everyone...it turned out to be the center support bearing on the driveshaft...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI WAGON
replacement

how difficult was it to replace?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:28 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbspear View Post
how difficult was it to replace?
They aren't that bad. You have to drop the exhaust and the heat shields. Then remove the guibo that connects the driveshaft and trans. Once that is done you can disconnect the rear diff from the driveshaft. Then you can unbolt the center bearing and the driveshaft comes out.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM

xi difference

from what i understand i dont have a rear diff in my xit. will that change the work much?

thank you bruddah!!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
from what i understand i dont have a rear diff in my xit. will that change the work much?

thank you bruddah!!
I can assure you that unless you have one of those super- rare front-wheel-drive E46s, you most certainly have a rear diff....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM

it the 4wd model; XI. the only reason i say this is because i was talking to a shop about buying the powerflex diff bushings and he said i dont have a rear diff. maybe he meant that the bushings dont fit. i dont know...im a beginner here, please dont heckle me too hard. need info more than heckle. thank you in advance
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
it the 4wd model; XI. the only reason i say this is because i was talking to a shop about buying the powerflex diff bushings and he said i dont have a rear diff. maybe he meant that the bushings dont fit. i dont know...im a beginner here, please dont heckle me too hard. need info more than heckle. thank you in advance

THIS will give you a better idea....

<<<Bimmerfest's E46 Wiki>>> Read this before posting questions!

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Bob i have noticed you can be a not nice guy. why are you here. to help people or heckle them? this is not my first repair board but it is one where beginners are guaranteed to get messed with by slow bob.

try being helpful bob.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Bob i have noticed you can be a not nice guy. why are you here. to help people or heckle them? this is not my first repair board but it is one where beginners are guaranteed to get messed with by slow bob.

try being helpful bob.
If you consider my responses "Getting messed with", you must have led a very sheltered and boring life.

You need to grow a thicker skin if you`re gonna hang out here. Seriously....

Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 PM

odd

that your position is "i need thicker skin to hang out here".

1- i don't hang out here. i come here for good advice on how to fix my car. I have other things to do other than chill here at my computer.

2- why do i need thick skin to come get advice on a repair board?

Last edited by rawbspear; 08-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Bob, or some other moderator has deleted me from directly linking to this particular question.
~ Is Bob a Fascist? Is his best friend named Neil?

Last edited by rawbspear; 08-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM

last reply

if there was a 33- zhp xi wagon i would have bought it. that car does not exist. stop heckling me for trying to make what i need super awesome!!

I freaking love my bmw and Fast bob you are a bummer!!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueoval View Post
Guys...forgive me..I did a search on vibration, but didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I have a 2002 325I with 200K..A few months ago, I noticed a slight vibration upon acceleration. It has gotten worse. I put the car on the rack today expecting to find a Ujoint problem. The big rubber busing on the front of the shaft looked good and the rear joint looked good. I pushed on them good..No noticeable play. However, I did notice that the lower CAB on the drivers side is gone, so I am going to replace the control arm in the morning. But this vibration seems to be right under the console of the car...is it possible that this thing is transferring that much vibration to the frame of the car?? I am going to look again and make sure that I don't have a broken motor/trans mount.
So my question is, did this problem come and go for you? I've rarely had this problem (drivetrain vibration) until the last few weeks when it has come back much more frequently, but not often enough to actually demonstrate it for my indy. (I've an AWD Xi)

For me, the vibration comes only when accelerating, light or hard. Coasting/braking have no vibration at all. Our theory is that it happens more after driving during heavy rain and/or after filling the tank with gas (more weight in back perhaps) but these are imperfect theories. Most of the time, the car drives just fine, no vibration.

It got to be so bad about 10 days ago that we pulled over and called a tow truck!

My indy could not find anything wrong. I am now thinking I should pay him to take down the heat shield and exhaust to check the CSB and u-joints.

Could it be differentials or CV joints or bushings that would have this same behavior? Could some folks chime in on their experience? I have to tell my indy something to look for...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Robbie

Numindast..

Once mine started..it never left...the "bumping" was directly under the console where your right elbow is..It only happened during accelerattion..either hard or soft..

Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
So my question is, did this problem come and go for you? I've rarely had this problem (drivetrain vibration) until the last few weeks when it has come back much more frequently, but not often enough to actually demonstrate it for my indy. (I've an AWD Xi)

For me, the vibration comes only when accelerating, light or hard. Coasting/braking have no vibration at all. Our theory is that it happens more after driving during heavy rain and/or after filling the tank with gas (more weight in back perhaps) but these are imperfect theories. Most of the time, the car drives just fine, no vibration.

It got to be so bad about 10 days ago that we pulled over and called a tow truck!

My indy could not find anything wrong. I am now thinking I should pay him to take down the heat shield and exhaust to check the CSB and u-joints.

Could it be differentials or CV joints or bushings that would have this same behavior? Could some folks chime in on their experience? I have to tell my indy something to look for...
Unfortunately, you have a fairly large assortment of components that can possibly contribute to this situation, including: motor mounts, trans mounts, giubo, center support bearing, rear U-joint, diff bushing, and CV joints. Vibrations can be "telegraphed" along the driveshaft to make you think it`s coming from somewhere it really isn`t.

No easy answers here....

Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Unfortunately, you have a fairly large assortment of components that can possibly contribute to this situation, including: motor mounts, trans mounts, giubo, center support bearing, rear U-joint, diff bushing, and CV joints. Vibrations can be "telegraphed" along the driveshaft to make you think it`s coming from somewhere it really isn`t.

No easy answers here....
I concur, and I have to start somewhere -- thanks for your input as always Bob.

Next paycheck, I'm going to have my indy inspect the flex disc (I prefer that over "jew-bo" ) CSB and u-joints. The boots on the CV joints are still intact and I had one replaced not long ago. They should be able to inspect the mounts and diff bushings just by putting it on a lift and, well, looking!

I have other known issues too but it's been such a bad year financially that the risk of destroying my car by driving it is the only choice. VCG leaking oil fairly regularly (and smoking off the exhaust manifold as a result), a steering bellows that split, needs an alignment.. and probably more. Ugh.