Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep Patriot
After Warranty Maintenance Expectations on X3

Hi,

I know there are several threads touching on this, but wanted to put my own question out here. I currently own a 2010 Jeep Patriot (5.5 years old, about 85,000 miles) and am considering buying a certified pre-owned X3 28i - something 2-3 years old with 40k-50k miles would fit my budget. I've test driven and I love love love the X3. Making sure the vehicle has a clean history and received routine maintenance is also crucial to me.

For CPO vehicles, it seems like most dealers offer extended maintenance plans to 100k miles, but I'm nervous what annual maintenance costs might look like after that. My Jeep Patriot has been totally unreliable - it was a great, cheap first car when I was in my 20's, but after about 2 years (and one cross-country trip) it started having all kinds of problems, I'm talking an average of $1500-$3000 in maintenance and repairs (mostly repairs) every year for the last 3-4 years...not to mention I hate the way it drives and that it is bare bones on the inside...now that I am older and have more refined taste . Also planning on having little ones around soon and don't want to be driving a baby in what essentially feels like a tin can.

I would be willing to put roughly the same amount annually into maintaining an after warranty BMW knowing that it could last me much longer, and that it's a car I actually would enjoy owning - but should I expect to be paying more than that??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-M
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3
I don't have much to share but would be interested in hearing from owners that have driven their X3s beyond 50k/4-yr warranty if there are any major issues with F25. My warranty (2013 X3) will be up next week and apart from standard servicing, only thing the dealership had to fix / replace was the Nav screen, which would go blank for no reason. And of course I had to pay for the tires (boy, they are expensive) but nothing major.

I am leaning towards not getting the extended warranty and see how that goes. The car has 25k miles after 4 years and I'd like to keep it for another 6 years. My other 10-yr old Nissan Altima (~90k) has been very reliable with standard maintenance (except for some oxidized exterior paint) so expecting X3 to be the same, if not better.

Thought?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto:
Is it true that the extended warrantee costs more the longer I wait to get it. I'm at 9500miles now. Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3
It has to be I am at 25k but only couple more days to go before my 48 months is up.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 XDrive 328i
i took 3rd party extended warranty when my factory warranty expired which doesn't cover maintenance and i had 1 maintenance after my factory warranty expired and i had to pay $380 for oil change, vents cleaning and wheel alignment with some coupon on wheel alignment. and i have my next maintenance on both front and back break pads and i m scared how much i will end up paying. so my suggestion is to have extended maintenance from the dealer as these cars will drain your valet, some dealers will offer both extended warranty and maintenance combined but expensive though.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to kpytoi9
Mein Auto: 06' 750i, 14' X3
The costs are a lot higher if you go to the dealership vs finding an independent mechanic...especially for bigger items like brake jobs and such
Old 07-20-2016, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
If you're planning to keep the car long term, an extended warranty may make sense to cover you for the expensive stuff that can go - AC systems, fuel/water pumps, etc. But routine maintenance is more predictable and not so much $$ at one time. I wouldn't buy one of those. My x3 has the BMW Gold extended warranty which covers me until the end of 2018 or 100K miles. Happy to have that although no significant issues yet at 33K miles.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive (traded) Space Grey/Oyster
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayasanala View Post
i took 3rd party extended warranty when my factory warranty expired which doesn't cover maintenance and i had 1 maintenance after my factory warranty expired and i had to pay $380 for oil change, vents cleaning and wheel alignment with some coupon on wheel alignment. and i have my next maintenance on both front and back break pads and i m scared how much i will end up paying. so my suggestion is to have extended maintenance from the dealer as these cars will drain your valet, some dealers will offer both extended warranty and maintenance combined but expensive though.
My 2012 x3 is at the dealership getting the rear brake service done right now. I was quoted 850 before any discounts for parts and labor.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how much you'd probably pay. I didn't opt for the extended maintenance but I do have the CPO warranty for another 2 years/ 50k miles (total of 6 years 100k).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz0 View Post
My 2012 x3 is at the dealership getting the rear brake service done right now. I was quoted 850 before any discounts for parts and labor.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how much you'd probably pay. I didn't opt for the extended maintenance but I do have the CPO warranty for another 2 years/ 50k miles (total of 6 years 100k).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
$850 for just rear brake service, oh my gosh. mine showing both front and rear at the same mileage and i m already scared is there any other private mechanic i can take to fix them, how about euro car fix something does anybody has any ideas.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 x3 x35i
I recommend learning how to do it yourself, unless money is no object. 850 is rape
Not sure if the electronic parking brake calls for additional steps, but otherwise easy to do for anyone who can follow directions. Audi makes the rear brakes a little more difficult with the electronic parking brake, must use a battery charge and vagcom.

Last edited by rayms69; 07-22-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:05 AM

its Eurofix , does anyone had there car serviced at Eurofix?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Extra 300 bucks because it's a bmw
Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayms69 View Post
Extra 300 bucks because it's a bmw

you mean extra $300 to what the BMW dealer charges?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM

You know the dealer is gonna up charge, euro fix is probably cheaper.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 96Impreza,07Vette,11X335i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...376&highlight=
'11 BMW X3 35i, white
Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 i35
Where does one find their warranty information? (When it's up and what it covers etc..)

Can't seem to find it here:https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...MyProfile.aspx
Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermatron View Post
Hi,

I know there are several threads touching on this, but wanted to put my own question out here. I currently own a 2010 Jeep Patriot (5.5 years old, about 85,000 miles) and am considering buying a certified pre-owned X3 28i - something 2-3 years old with 40k-50k miles would fit my budget. I've test driven and I love love love the X3. Making sure the vehicle has a clean history and received routine maintenance is also crucial to me.

For CPO vehicles, it seems like most dealers offer extended maintenance plans to 100k miles, but I'm nervous what annual maintenance costs might look like after that. My Jeep Patriot has been totally unreliable - it was a great, cheap first car when I was in my 20's, but after about 2 years (and one cross-country trip) it started having all kinds of problems, I'm talking an average of $1500-$3000 in maintenance and repairs (mostly repairs) every year for the last 3-4 years...not to mention I hate the way it drives and that it is bare bones on the inside...now that I am older and have more refined taste . Also planning on having little ones around soon and don't want to be driving a baby in what essentially feels like a tin can.

I would be willing to put roughly the same amount annually into maintaining an after warranty BMW knowing that it could last me much longer, and that it's a car I actually would enjoy owning - but should I expect to be paying more than that??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-M
I will say that the X3 is a great vehicle. With that said, I have a 2013 X3 2.8i with 85K miles on it. I purchased it used (not CPO) with 45K miles on it. At 84K miles, the engine timing chain broke (see other threads on this, its quite common in the N20 engine). It cost me around $9k to replace the engine with a used one with 5k miles on it.
I don't know of too many folks who have gotten their N20 BMW to 100K miles without this happening (not saying that they don't exist).
If you are looking, don't get one older than late 2014 production. BMW made a change to the N20 to correct the problem.
Outside of having to replace the engine, I love the car. It drives wonderfully and after coding it, I don't think that I will ever get rid of it.

Last edited by gresh; 08-22-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
I did mine at the dealer when I saw the brake light warning, since I was going their for the car seat bracket recall. Was about what you guys say, $850-ish. Then I asked, is that for 4 brakes? Sadly, the answer was that it was only for 2 brakes. They did the front ones. Still had about 3k km left for the rear ones.

Also, I did the brakes there, because I was not sure if this would impact the tire pressure monitor system. From what I've seen, the TPMS is not in the wheel/tire (from switching between winter and all season tires for winter/summer - Quebec rules), so it can only be with the car, and it also looks like the TPMS measures the tire pressure based on the rotation of the wheel (just a guess from my part - probably why it needs the car to drive a bit after a reset). I was afraid my mechanic would not be familiar with the TPMS.

Anybody knows if the TPMS is touched/impacted during brake change?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobmw View Post
I did mine at the dealer when I saw the brake light warning, since I was going their for the car seat bracket recall. Was about what you guys say, $850-ish. Then I asked, is that for 4 brakes? Sadly, the answer was that it was only for 2 brakes. They did the front ones. Still had about 3k km left for the rear ones.

Also, I did the brakes there, because I was not sure if this would impact the tire pressure monitor system. From what I've seen, the TPMS is not in the wheel/tire (from switching between winter and all season tires for winter/summer - Quebec rules), so it can only be with the car, and it also looks like the TPMS measures the tire pressure based on the rotation of the wheel (just a guess from my part - probably why it needs the car to drive a bit after a reset). I was afraid my mechanic would not be familiar with the TPMS.

I have a 2015 with 29K and had my rear brakes and rotors replaced and front breaks replaced. I asked the advisor how much it would have been for the front and he told me about $900. So If you plan on getting the maintenance, it might be worth it for me, I drive alot or you can find an indy dealer if you are out of warranty.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY_CHRISSY View Post
I have a 2015 with 29K and had my rear brakes and rotors replaced and front breaks replaced. I asked the advisor how much it would have been for the front and he told me about $900. So If you plan on getting the maintenance, it might be worth it for me, I drive alot or you can find an indy dealer if you are out of warranty.
I've already done my front ones. But at this price, I'm tempted to go to my mechanic to do my rear ones when it's time to do them. But I'm just afraid if my mechanic is not familiar with the TPMS, he might screw it up, unless the TPMS is not affected for changing the brakes.

So, if anyone could confirm for the TPMS, that would be great.

By the way, I have a 2012 X3, and it only has 19k km. Is it normal that the brakes are already done? Obviously it depends on how the car is driven. We do not do sudden brakes. We drive "normally".
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobmw View Post

The tpms is not affected by brakes. I have done brakes a few times on various BMWs and never messed with the tpms. On my current 2013 X3, the tpms is a module receiver on the car and module transmitters in each tire. It's not rotational.

Last edited by gresh; 08-23-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresh View Post
The tpms is not affected by brakes. I have done brakes a few times on various BMWs and never messed with the tpms. On my current 2013 X3, the tpms is a module receiver on the car and module transmitters in each tire. It's not rotational.
Thanks for the info gresh, that's good to know.

However, like I mentioned, we switch tires during seasons, and I've never seen any sensors in the tires or the rims.

I did a bit of research on this, and I found that that we have TPMS, and FTM, which are 2 different monitors (I thought they were the same thing). TPMS would require sensors as they would monitor the pressure (hence tPms), while the FTM system would rely on the rotation of the tires.

When changing tires, FTM systems require that it be reset, and the car be driven for a few kms so that the system can initialize - probably based on the rotation. And this is what I have to do when I change tires: reset and drive a few kms.

So I guess I don't actually have a TPMS system, but rather a FTM system.

It makes sense that changing brakes would not affect a TPMS as the transmitters would be in the tires. But for FTM, I am not so sure now, as the module would probably be in each of the wheel hub, around the brakes.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
I just posted under extended warranty post my experience.
$10 000 in one year, paid by warranty, lucky.
All the previous service has been done in bmw service.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
cost, cost of long term ownership, maintenance, pre owned, repair, warranty, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search