Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Sport - Normal - Eco Pro settings?

I just had a 2014 loaner while my X3 was at the dealer. It would always default to "normal" mode when starting. I just did not like the performance in normal mode so it was always necessary to push the sport mode button. Is there a way, via coding maybe, so these new four cylinder machines can be made to default to sport mode so it is not necessary to press a button every time one starts the car, drives away, and gets unpleasantly reminded the performance sucks.? I am only curious because I am far from being ready to consider trading my low mileage current X3 in showroom condition for a new one.

Even at low throttle applications, the "old" 28i six cylinder engines feel enthusiastic about putting out power. The loaners I had over the past year with the four cylinder engines just don't feel that way to me (and they don't sound as good either). The 4 cylinder loaners require more depression of the gas pedal for the same acceleration and always feel like they are in much too high a gear. Sport mode certainly helped but it was still not that satisfying enthusiastic to apply power feel, even at low throttle applications, like my 28i X3 provides.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I just had a 2014 loaner while my X3 was at the dealer. It would always default to "normal" mode when starting. I just did not like the performance in normal mode so it was always necessary to push the sport mode button. Is there a way, via coding maybe, so these new four cylinder machines can be made to default to sport mode so it is not necessary to press a button every time one starts the car, drives away, and gets unpleasantly reminded the performance sucks.? I am only curious because I am far from being ready to consider trading my low mileage current X3 in showroom condition for a new one.

Even at low throttle applications, the "old" 28i six cylinder engines feel enthusiastic about putting out power. The loaners I had over the past year with the four cylinder engines just don't feel that way to me (and they don't sound as good either). The 4 cylinder loaners require more depression of the gas pedal for the same acceleration and always feel like they are in much too high a gear. Sport mode certainly helped but it was still not that satisfying enthusiastic to apply power feel, even at low throttle applications, like my 28i X3 provides.
I have a 28i and actually love the eco mode! I either drive in eco or if i feel I need a thrill then I will drive in comfort mode. I rarely drive in the sports mode. The sports mode is too fast for me and I am not used to that much power. It actually scares me, I fly by cars in that mode. Maybe I am not used to it yet. I only had the car for 3 weeks now and I came from a v6 RDX.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
I never feel the need to use Sport mode.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
There is no coding for sport mode default as far as I know. The easiest way to put it into sport mode might be to shift into the DS mode on the shifter every time you put the car in drive.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I'd prefer eco pro transmission mode with sport mode throttle... but alas no coding fix.

Its interesting, some times while driving in eco pro mode the car accelerates great and other times it feels like I'm towing a horse trailer... same in normal mode.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 x28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I'd prefer eco pro transmission mode with sport mode throttle... but alas no coding fix.

Its interesting, some times while driving in eco pro mode the car accelerates great and other times it feels like I'm towing a horse trailer... same in normal mode.
I experience this too, normally in comfort mode, and I always wonder wtf is going on.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 xdrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
...and always feel like they are in much too high a gear. Sport mode certainly helped but it was still not that satisfying enthusiastic to apply power feel, even at low throttle applications, like my 28i X3 provides.
Thank you! I have felt the same way about my X3. I'm not a petrol head and thought it was just me, so it'a good to hear someone more knowledgeable make the same complaint. I'm not nuts.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY_CHRISSY View Post
The sports mode is too fast for me and I am not used to that much power. It actually scares me, I fly by cars in that mode.
Isn't that the point of owning a BMW? -scr
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
My point eactly.

When I am ready to trade in a couple of years it will force me to spend an additional $5K for the bigger six cylinder turbo-charged engine and I probably will not do that. As much as I really like my BMW's the 4 cylinder engines with that inane eco-pro mode are just making these usually great macines undesireable, IMO. I am also not a fan of turbo chargers for many reasons. I guess more economy and maybe even the CAF are the drivers for this trend but there was really niothing wrong with those wonderful normally aspirated six cylinder engines they made for years. It still comes down to the point of most people do not buy a BMW because they are worried about a few extra mpg of economy.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: Long Island
Quote:
No, not for me. If I wanted a fast car I would have gotten the Porsche Macan. This is more affordable and fun to drive.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY_CHRISSY View Post
No, not for me. If I wanted a fast car I would have gotten the Porsche Macan. This is more affordable and fun to drive.
Really? Not a 35i? And are you sure about that? Macan S estimated 0-60 in 5.2, almost identical to the 35i. And for the price of the Macan Turbo I'd be shopping BMW M.

35i - Almost as fast and matched in some performance areas, a lot less money comparably equipped, much more space. I feel like i saved 15k and made the right decision with the 35i. And it can take kids and my stuff ! haha

Macan is definitely awesome though. If you can get one.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
oh I forgot...SQ5 would definitely be on my short list.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 15 X3 35i
Quote:
100% agree! I heard that BMW cars were originally designed to achieve agile handling and fast fun driving. Also I've been told that Luxury part came in later.

The engine power doesn't matter to me, as long as there is enough torque to accelerate the car quickly. Being able to accelerate quickly makes safer for entering on busy Interstates from short ramps.

I drive with "comfort" setting, but I pull the gear shifter toward me to "S" position when entering to Interstates temporally. I do it also on passing other cars. Some cars have a "S" position, but unlike BMW style, their gear shifter must move either forward or backward. I am afraid of moving it to a wrong position, such as "N". By the BMW method, there is no need to look at the gear shift, a very intuitive design.