Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 PM
mengteck71 mengteck71 is offline
X3 F35 LCI
Location: Singapore
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: X3 F35 LCI
BMW Blue-Xenon Power Lamps D1S 6000K

I am driving a 2016 X3 s2.0I F25. The Xenon Headlamp seems to be slight orangy and not white.

Anyone have experience with BMW Blue-Xenon Power Lamps D1S 6000K. Can anyone comment on the difference in terms of brightness and "whiteness"?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
It looks like a BMW product exclusive to Singapore. In my opinion, the OEM 4300 Kelvin xenon is the best for lighting up the road, 5000 kelvin is pretty much all white and 6000 is white with a hint of blue in it. Anytime you go up in kelvin, you will lose some visibility, assume you are using the same wattage.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM
ejw2011 ejw2011 is offline
Registered User
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 11 F25 35i
I don't have experience with BMW blue, but bulbs at 4300K is more white and hint of yellow, but best illumination on road. Above 6000k the output is more blue and less illumination. If you want more white and not lose illumination as 6000k bulbs, get bulbs around 5000k. I have the Philips DS1 xtreme at 4800-5000k (very white, very little blue tint) with 3200 lumens. When you go more with blue tint you will lose on illumination output and harder to see at night and makes your vehicle ricey. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:29 AM
ejw2011 ejw2011 is offline
Registered User
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 11 F25 35i
Hey x, we both agee
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
I don't have experience with BMW blue, but bulbs at 4300K is more white and hint of yellow, but best illumination on road. Above 6000k the output is more blue and less illumination. If you want more white and not lose illumination as 6000k bulbs, get bulbs around 5000k. I have the Philips DS1 xtreme at 4800-5000k (very white, very little blue tint) with 3200 lumens. When you go more with blue tint you will lose on illumination output and harder to see at night and makes your vehicle ricey. Just my opinion.
I just install the Osram CBI 5000K, very bright bulb. Both Osram and Phillips make very good xenon bulbs in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I just install the Osram CBI 5000K, very bright bulb. Both Osram and Phillips make very good xenon bulbs in my opinion.
Hello X Men , I am a newbie at this forum here, After reading your post , I thought I wanted to try a couple Osram 5000K CBI like yours, I am having troubles figuring out how to remove the OEM bulbs. Could you share some tricks to a newbie? My Vehicle is a X3 F25 2016.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3865 View Post
Hello X Men , I am a newbie at this forum here, After reading your post , I thought I wanted to try a couple Osram 5000K CBI like yours, I am having troubles figuring out how to remove the OEM bulbs. Could you share some tricks to a newbie? My Vehicle is a X3 F25 2016.

Thanks!
I installed the Osram CBI on my other car, not the X3, but if the X3 is anything like my old 5 series, there is a round cover in the back of the headlight housing that screws off. The DS1 bulb is usually a twist on with a clip holding it. Space is usually very tight in the there, sometimes you need to remove components, wheel, or wheel liner to access the bulb. Good Luck.

Last edited by The X Men; 08-24-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I installed the Osram CBI on my other car, not the X3, but if the X3 is anything like my old 5 series, there is a round cover in the back of the headlight housing that screws off. The DS1 bulb is usually a twist on with a clip holding it. Space is usually very tight in the there, sometimes you need to remove components, wheel, or wheel liner to access the bulb. Good Luck.
Thank you X Men for your reply, I was able to locate the bulbs, just not sure how to remove it correctly. Not sure if I need to turn , push or pull. According to some of my google searches, there are 3 clips in the back at 10, 2 & 6 o'clock positions not sure if it the correction info I got ...just want to be careful not breaking any thing.

Thanks , again!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Are there any spring clips holding the bulb? If so, pitch it to release the clip, the bulb should come straight out after you disconnect the harness.

Does your xenon setup look something like this?


Last edited by The X Men; 08-24-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Hi X Men , I was hoping to see some spring clips like that, just like a F30 I had, But no, I could only feel there was at least one clip way in the back ( hard to see at all, I could only feel it) Maybe I should find a way to stick a camera in there to see more details.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
yes, stick a cell phone camera in there or use a mirror.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 PM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Yes, That is what I am planning to do, Its going to be either a mirror or a snake camera... too tight for a cell phone to go in there..I will keep you posted .

Thanks Again ! X Men.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 PM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Hello X-Men , Just wanted to let u know , I managed to replace the bulbs. I ran into a nice guy on ebay who happen to be selling the same headlight and he was so nice to share the trick...just turn it counter clock and pull.. so simple! I had tried that before learning the trick, But it was kind of tight so I did not want to force it, afraid of breaking something. Any way just wanted to give u an update, appreciate your inputs. Thanks Again!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2016, 05:44 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3865 View Post
Hello X-Men , Just wanted to let u know , I managed to replace the bulbs. I ran into a nice guy on ebay who happen to be selling the same headlight and he was so nice to share the trick...just turn it counter clock and pull.. so simple! I had tried that before learning the trick, But it was kind of tight so I did not want to force it, afraid of breaking something. Any way just wanted to give u an update, appreciate your inputs. Thanks Again!
Thanks dm3865, I am glad you were able to change your HID bulb. How do you like the Osram cool blue bulbs?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
I Like them so far, went out and did a test drive around the block after dark last night. they seem to illuminate the road as well as the 4300k oems . Color wise they look whiter and that's what I like. I heard ,they take some time for a good burn-in to get a full brightness ?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3865 View Post
I Like them so far, went out and did a test drive around the block after dark last night. they seem to illuminate the road as well as the 4300k oems . Color wise they look whiter and that's what I like. I heard ,they take some time for a good burn-in to get a full brightness ?
Yes, it take about 50 hours or so to burn them in, they will become a bit brighter and the color will shift whiter as well.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
dm3865 dm3865 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver, Wa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 F25 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Yes, it take about 50 hours or so to burn them in, they will become a bit brighter and the color will shift whiter as well.
Thank You X-Men, I like them to be brighter and whiter, but not loosing any road illumination.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms