Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 XDrive 328i
engine coolant low Waring

Hi ,

Just a month ago we had engine coolant low warning on X3 and we took it to the dealer and topped it up and yesterday again i got a warning saying "Coolant low top it up as soon as possible engine damage may occur" so again took my car to the dealer and when i told him that just a month ago we filled it then he said that its very unusual for coolant to be low just after over a month unless there is a leakage of coolant. but i did check on the floors where we park our car at our home and i don't see any leakage and he also checked the engine to see if its leaking and he said that it doesn't look like any leakage. but my question is it common for the coolant to be low just over a month after it got filled with out leakage? or i'm missing something here?

And about the warning how serious should i consider? i mean how long i m allowed to drive with the warning and do i have to go to the dealer every time just to fill it up? if i want to do it myself what coolant i should use, should i use BMW branded ones only or can i use any other regular brands. if so where do i get them in regular auto stores?

Thanks and appreciate your help and suggestions
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The repeated coolant warning is sometimes a symptom of a bad thermostat module or water pump. I've had both of mine replaced after a situation similar to yours.

There are underbody aerodynamic panels on our F25 X3's, and it's unlikely that most fluid leaks will actually appear on the floor under our cars. Many drips are going to be caught by the panels, and blow out the rear while driving.

For refilling, I've only ever used BMW branded coolant.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
It happened to me but the leakage was found after 3 months. I did not see any residue under the car but the light showed up. After diagnosis the coolant reservoir had a small leak. Dealer asked for $680 to replace , got it done at Indy BMW part for $270
Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 235i + X3 35
My wife's X3 had similar warnings. It turned out that the cap for the reservoir, despite clicking into place, was working itself loose. We've now had two replacement caps...
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi234u View Post
It happened to me but the leakage was found after 3 months. I did not see any residue under the car but the light showed up. After diagnosis the coolant reservoir had a small leak. Dealer asked for $680 to replace , got it done at Indy BMW part for $270
Me too don't see any residue on the ground under the car, but $680 to fix it wow! that's a lot of money . What is Indy BMW part ? is it some mechanic auto shop? please give me more info on that.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
The repeated coolant warning is sometimes a symptom of a bad thermostat module or water pump. I've had both of mine replaced after a situation similar to yours.

There are underbody aerodynamic panels on our F25 X3's, and it's unlikely that most fluid leaks will actually appear on the floor under our cars. Many drips are going to be caught by the panels, and blow out the rear while driving.

For refilling, I've only ever used BMW branded coolant.
How much is it to replace both? did u had warranty when you replaced them? i'm out of BMW Warranty and i have extended warranty from a 3rd party will this be covered with the extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
I don't have the part number but they said it is original coolant reservoir. It is A2Z auto repair run by certified BMW technician. One of the best at our place
Old 08-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Although I don't have my 2011 F25 X3 anymore, I had this problem when it was relatively new and still well within warranty. It turns out there was an invisible (for all practical purposes) hair line crack in the reservoir. It took the dealer three visits and my polite but very convincing display of impatience on the third visit to replace the reservoir. A new reservoir and the problem was gone.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Although I don't have my 2011 F25 X3 anymore, I had this problem when it was relatively new and still well within warranty. It turns out there was an invisible (for all practical purposes) hair line crack in the reservoir. It took the dealer three visits and my polite but very convincing display of impatience on the third visit to replace the reservoir. A new reservoir and the problem was gone.

Did they ever do a pressure test? Seems like that would have proved the leak/crack.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search