Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3
2014 X3_Replace new motor

Hi all,

how many people out there experienced just a few years into the car and the motor had to be replace. Has 28,000 miles.

Just last week, i came to know a loud engine noise. sounds clunking, and screeching to a point you can hear a quarter mile away, im pretty sure. Its been maintain regularly based on manufacture warranty every 7 thousand miles. And have reported twice in the past that start up cold hear strange sound then usual, dealership says normal sound and no issue.

I had it towed the car last week into the dealership and have them check it out. They confirmed motor problem and had to be replaced.

Remind you, its just a few year old car that was bought brand new. Sounds crazy and i hope this isnt normal for BMW. Imagine it wasnt under warranty, it would probably cost me over 10K easily.
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknav007 View Post
Hi all,

how many people out there experienced just a few years into the car and the motor had to be replace. Has 28,000 miles.

Just last week, i came to know a loud engine noise. sounds clunking, and screeching to a point you can hear a quarter mile away, im pretty sure. Its been maintain regularly based on manufacture warranty every 7 thousand miles. And have reported twice in the past that start up cold hear strange sound then usual, dealership says normal sound and no issue.

I had it towed the car last week into the dealership and have them check it out. They confirmed motor problem and had to be replaced.

Remind you, its just a few year old car that was bought brand new. Sounds crazy and i hope this isnt normal for BMW. Imagine it wasnt under warranty, it would probably cost me over 10K easily.
That's horrible the dealer said it"sounds normal and no issue"!! What are they on?? Sometimes, I think the dealerships don't want to fix anything and want you to wait till you are out of warranty and then will tell you need all these items to be replaced, just to get more money!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 AM

Yea, i kinda agree with you there. They said the piston rod was the caused but didnt go into details. Its a 2 yr old car with piston rod being an issue is strange. Now they are eating $10K plus to replace entire engine and says takes up to 3 weeks before i get my car back. Do anyone know about the warranty for the new engine replacement? if it will be another 3 year or 36K miles with the same condition where i get oil change free maintenance during the 3 years or warranty still remain the same as 3 years set to expire next year?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i M Sport
Which engine?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 AM

28i
Old 06-16-2016, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I would file a complaint with BMW NA and ask them for a 2 year extended warranty on the powertrain.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Yes, i will do that after the car finish repair and ask them what warranty they provide for the new engine replacement if its less then 2 years. thanks for the info..
Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknav007 View Post
Yes, i will do that after the car finish repair and ask them what warranty they provide for the new engine replacement if its less then 2 years. thanks for the info..
Usually, repairs are warranty for one year, but that one year starts right after the work is done. If you ask for a 2 year powertrain extended warranty, it will not start until your 4 year / 50K miles factory warranty is up.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Ah, good to know. I learn something new. Greatly appreciated X-men, and thank you :-)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Usually, repairs are warranty for one year, but that one year starts right after the work is done. If you ask for a 2 year powertrain extended warranty, it will not start until your 4 year / 50K miles factory warranty is up.
I was informed that BMW repairs are warrantied for 2years or 24,000 miles by the dealer

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search