Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old Today, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: Prius
Guidance on purchasing BMW X3 CPO

I am looking to buy a 2011 X3 dealer CPO with 31k miles on it.
It has extended warranty that goes until Sept 2017. I plan to ideally keep the car for 5-6 years.
Can the experts on the forum suggest how much maintenance cost should one budget for in such used cars ? - I may also consider buying the extended maint. package which ends on Sept 2015 to provide support but really concerned about the longer term cost of maintaining the car.

Please advise as I would be moving to RDX if the economics for this does not work out (not by choice but my economics :-(
Advertisement
Old Today, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Make sure you try out the RDX's front passenger seat, its like sitting on the floor with your knees up to your chin
Old Today, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: Long Island
I was looking at 2014 CPO's as well but ended up ordering a 15 since the 14's were were $1K-2K less in my area. Didn't feel like negotiating on a 14 if I could get a brand new one the way I want it for alittle more.

I am coming from an 13 RDX..
Old Today, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Your already in a good place considering that it's < 50K miles so the original warranty is still in effect, meaning now is your chance to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Also, this is about the time where whatever is going to go wrong has / or soon will go wrong. Which is good when you're at 31K miles.

Second, with the CPO covering big ticket items out to 100K miles, engine and tranny issues won't bother you.

In terms of regular maintenance, brake rotors and pads, usually run about $500 to $800 in parts. That usually needs to be done every 30K to 40K miles.

Shocks usually need replacing starting around 60K miles. That usually ends up happening once during one's ownership of the vehicle. A set of good Bilstien HD shocks run about $800 to $1000 for the set of 4, parts.

A set of run-flat tires can cost about $1200. That comes up about every 30K to 40K miles. ( If you're lucky the dealer might of replaced them already).

A bent/road rashed wheel will cost about 250 to straighten and re-finish. They sell a warranty for this, but I think it's a waste of $$$.

Those are the biggest out of pocket, wear and tear, costs that would most likely crop up.

BMWCCA Member
Old Today, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I'm in the same boat as you and my biggest concern is the damn stuttering/hesitation issues. I've dealt with hesitation issues with a VW and Audi and it's the biggest pain in the butt you can imagine. Make sure the one you test drive doesn't have this right off the bat.