Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' 328i-loanr, 07' 335xi
2nd bimmerfest post - Need 335d Help/Advice

Hey All!! I hope everyone is having a better weekend than I.

I have an 07' BMW 335xi that my wife drives which led me to buy the 2009 335d. I bought it from KG Motors in Mason Ohio I drove it to a friend who works near by at a garage, and is a VW guy but has scan tool and can scan BMW's. The car has a clean carfax!! He told me it would need some brakes in the near future but otherwise looked like a great deal at $19,750.00 and below KBB and NADA. So I bought it. Less than 24 hours later (yesterday morning), the reduce engine power icon came on as well as service engine soon. I take it to the bmw dealership this morning and the intake is clogged and perhaps the cylinder head with carbon. The dealer used a scope with camera and the intake was so clogged they couldn't see in to the cylinder head for carbon. Can the intake be cleaned versus replaced like the dealership is saying? Any way of preventing this in the future with an EGR Delete kit or something?? I"m looking at $1800 to replace the intake and if necessary, $4000+ to pull the head and dip it, and then put it back in. I bought the car in Ohio and don't get 72 hrs. it was bought AS IS Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Last edited by moejav; 07-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by moejav View Post

I have an 07' BMW 335xi that my wife drives which led me to buy the 2009 335d. I bought it from KG Motors in Mason Ohio I drove it to a friend who works near by at a garage, and is a VW guy but has scan tool and can scan BMW's. The car has a clean carfax!! He told me it would need some brakes in the near future but otherwise looked like a great deal at $19,750.00 and below KBB and NADA. So I bought it. Less than 24 hours later (yesterday morning), the reduce engine power icon came on as well as service engine soon. I take it to the bmw dealership this morning and the intake is clogged and perhaps the cylinder head with carbon. The dealer used a scope with camera and the intake was so clogged they couldn't see in to the cylinder head for carbon. Can the intake be cleaned versus replaced like the dealership is saying? Any way of preventing this in the future with an EGR Delete kit or something?? I"m looking at $1800 to replace the intake and if necessary, $4000+ to pull the head and dip it, and then put it back in. I bought the car in Ohio and don't get 72 hrs. it was bought AS IS Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
I have never done it - but word is that BMW, MINI & others are using walnut blasting. Yes, walnut blasting - check out utube videos for MINI on the subject. BMWOEM1 first posted about the process - I couldn't believe it either.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Odd they can't blast it. Costing me, what, <$200 to do mine including reusable parts, 335i. 'Course I already had a compressor + shop vac.

Have you looked through a diesel forum?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Here's the expensive BMW setup - I'm using what's in the link above

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Walnut Shell Blaster (Wezag).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	388816
Click to enlarge

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Oh, and the guy w/scan tool? Don't go back.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
There's been a bit of discussion on walnut blasting in the diesel forum, and on the e90post diesel engine forum lately.

Walnut blasting doesn't seem to be an appropriate and doable method of cleaning the intake/head on diesel engines, the reason being that the intake manifold has a swirl flap in it that prevents access by a blaster nozzle. There's also a bend at the intersection of the manifold and head.

The only way to do it is to remove the manifold. Not sure if the manifold can be cleaned once off, and if the intake can be blasted once manifold removed.

EGR delete is being discussed, but it requires changes to the DDE (ECU) because it's monitored as part of the emissions equipment. There is also concern that EGR delete might toast the PDF because of the higher exhaust temps- it's a $2500 part. Note that the recall changed many EGRs and re-programmed the DDE to hopefully solve this problem - many people (me included) have not had problems; I'm at 70K.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=708494
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796278
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM

I've been looking for the diesel forum, but can't find it. Thank you for your help
Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
I've been looking for the diesel forum, but can't find it. Thank you for your help
My last reply, the first link is in the diesel forum. Once you click it, click on the forum home link at the top.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 AM

Thanks Floyd, just noticed you're in Washington. I was just in Seattle and Poulsbo, WA a few weeks ago. It's beautiful out there!!