Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Taking your key fob swimming.

FYI

I'm sure that only an idiot like me would forget that his key was in your swimming trunks pocket and jump into the pool. Well, I did that, within 5 minutes I realized it.

Put in the sun to dry out, after an hour or so tried it and it worked. Later drove home and upon arriving see that the key/fob isn't working. Opened it up, removed battery, "wet inside", took a hairdrier and "warmed it up". After an hour it worked and has worked the next day.

ADVICE, if you happen to do this, immediately remove the battery, Dry it out with whatever you happen to have, IMO the less heat that you have available, the longer that you wait to put the battery back in.

I must say that I am impressed that it worked at all. Took a HTC smartphone swimming last year and it didn't survive
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Let us know if eventually some parts rust and stop it from working.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Putting electronics in rice is a good way to dry them out.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
My son threw the fob to his mom. She missed. They were on a boat slip on the Hudson River. The brackish water was about 3 1/2 feet deep. Since it was dark, I went back the next day with a row of magnets taped to the bottom of a hockey stick blade. I assumed it was a loss. A week later I put in a new battery in. Three years later and that fob still works perfectly. No issues with the comfort access either.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
this.
pull the battery, rinse with distilled water if it was dunked in anything with salt or chlorine in it, then seal it in a bag with uncooked rice.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
this.
pull the battery, rinse with distilled water if it was dunked in anything with salt or chlorine in it, then seal it in a bag with uncooked rice.
Uncooked rice is hard, and doesn't taste very well. I much prefer rice with olive oil, saffron, and some basil. Maybe a lot Cayenne if I am feeling spicy

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingminn View Post
My son threw the fob to his mom. She missed. They were on a boat slip on the Hudson River. The brackish water was about 3 1/2 feet deep. Since it was dark, I went back the next day with a row of magnets taped to the bottom of a hockey stick blade. I assumed it was a loss. A week later I put in a new battery in. Three years later and that fob still works perfectly. No issues with the comfort access either.
I've lost a set of keys and a camera to boating mishaps. I've really impressed you found the key, and even more impressed that it still works!

Rule of thumb, pull battery and set the fob aside for a day longer than you think it needs to dry out.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
I've lost a set of keys and a camera to boating mishaps. I've really impressed you found the key, and even more impressed that it still works!
I'm very impressed. As a scuba diver, who hits murky/silty waters all the time, I can tell you it's very hard to find something in there. Especially if he left and came back a day later - that's a very good memory.

My suggestion: When you go on a boat, put your keys in a zip lock. If they fall, the air in the bag should help them float. Even if they don't float, if the seal is good, then they shouldn't flood.

Tricks for electronics:
1) Try and setup a blowing device to blow dry the air out. Keys are small and shouldn't be an issue, but for larger devices, if the air is blowing in then it might push the water in to a crevice.

2) Rinse it with distilled water, prior to drying (it's wet anyhow). Thoroughly get it all out - silt, dirt, salt, and particulates are all electronic killers

3) After drying, see where there may be grease applied and re-apply some

4) As others have said, stick it in a bag of uncooked rice... If you don't have that, then there are hardware stores that sell moisture absorbing powders. Laundry detergent works, but don't let the grains get on the electronic. Sit it in the bag with it (carefully). Put it on top (with a piece of paper in between). Keep it in a cool/dry area. In direct sunlight may cause condensation.

5) Discard the batteries. They tend to rust quickly, and if water managed to get inside the chemical portion then you def don't want to use it.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Doesn't all that steam get into the fob?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
this.
Uh oh.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Re: Taking your key fob swimming.

I pull out the shop vac and try to suck out as much of the remaining liquid. Seems to work well with a phone - haven't tried a fob.