Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Rear Defogger - Time Delay off

To my surprise, I noticed the rear defogger auto turns off after exactly ten minutes. Preferably, I would like to eliminate any auto off time delay so it stays on until manually turned off or the car shut down. Alternately, I would like to extend the time delay to something much longer than ten minutes. Can either of these changes be made by the dealer or coding?

On warm humid days the rear window fogs up when the defogger is not on. On cold winter snowy days it helps considerably leaving it on continuously. So it is a pain every ten minutes to notice it fogs up or start collecting ice/slush then turn it back on. If the time delay is the result of an efficiency thing it is really meaningless. The circuit is fused at 15 amps. Assuming worst case 15 amps of current, that is less than 1/4 HP. I could afford the BMW so I certainly can afford the miniscule amount of additional gas leaving it on continuously will burn.
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Why don't you just turn on the AC on humid days?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Why don't you just turn on the AC on humid days?
Using the A/C is exactly why the rear window fogs up.

The A/C lowers the temperature of the glass below the dew point for the conditions outside the car. The fogging occurs on the outside of the glass, not the inside. The rear defogger raises the temperature of the glass slightly, to just above the dew point so no moisture condenses out on its surface. This is the same phenomena that causes water to condense out on the outside surface of a glass of ice water.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
The fogging occurs on the outside of the glass,
I use the rear wiper for that problem.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Space Metal Gray X3
Rear Defogger - Time Delay off

Here in FL, the wiper helps for approximately 5 seconds, then re-fogged. Continuous defogging would be much appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM

Must be a Florida thing, I don't have that problem up here in the north east.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

I am just north of Syracuse and this is where my X3 will live for the next few years even though my home is in Florida. Yesterday was a warm humid rainy day and the rear window fogged up immediately after a blade swipe if the rear defogger was not on. I also noticed this past winter (in my Lexus SUV that is shortly heading back to Florida) slush and ice built up quickly on the rear window on cold crappy days while traveling at interstate speeds. If the rear defogger was adding heat visibility remained much better between blade swipes.

Anyway, my question was not to debate the merits of using the rear defogger but only to find out if the time delay to off is a programmable parameter. I either want the dealer to reprogram it if it is or, if the dealer won't, code it myself.